the New keeping style (on the pboxline)

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

the New keeping style (on the pboxline)

Post by theberkin8or »

I don't know about euro but for NA the old style of actaully staying on the line and making reaction saves is pretty much gone in NA. Now it is all about coming up and hiting the player to shake him b4 he can get his shot off.

While ppl are still able to score, I question is this how keeping should be? should the keeper just be another defender than happends to have special powers in the pbox?

I would like to see a return to a more skill based keeping style that isn't just a defender with more powers.

Right now as i see it the line between a keeper and a D is blurred becuase some games you see more saves by the d than the keeper and more shakes by the keeper than by the D. With pbox camping this can be quite effective because you have a super powerful d (or the keeper) plus someone on the line that will stop the only shot that normally can get through an agressive keeper that knows what he is doing aka a slow shot.

it just seems to me that something is wrong with this.

so why not just make it so the keeper has to go back to his keeper box like he used to, that would force the keeper to actaully, you know... play keeper.

just an idea
bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

I don't see any problems with keepers playing aggressively. You can be very effective playing forward in the box to intercept passes and harrass the shooters. Screw it up though and you get burned bad.

Some keeps play back, some play forward. I don't see an issue here.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

keepers coming out is a must, those who wait on the line wont live much longer

the more you come out the better it is, but it's also risky, you gotta know what you are doing and not do any mistakes
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

davidm I agree completely but my question is should the keeper be incouraged to play this way? imo it makes the game a little less fun, to have the keeper being a defender just seems like a flaw with the game imo.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Different keepers doing different things adds spice to the game. Who wants to play a predictable game. Keepers who are unpredictable offer a challenge. The keepers who can do both challenges the offence.

Too many player are predictable. The player who always wall volleys a shot time after time takes excitement out of the game.

I see a lot of good offensive player who hang by pbox. A quick pass and they volley it in. Being on a public server this often gets very one sided. So I go play D with the intention of disrupting and stopping this player from scoring every few seconds. Some player hate not being able to score every few seconds because I'm all over them and they quit. The really good player rise to the challenge and find a way to score or help his team score.

Just as in real sports the mind should have an active role. I think making a keeper stay in the goal takes excitement out of the game.

Don't forget not everyone's hardware is the same. I keeper getting burned playing in the goal can have more success playing aggressively.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

twig... you play vo... it just isn't revalent to what i am talking about, very rarly do ppl make the volleys they do in VO game in regular games (though i do predict it will get more so).

also the point is that the only way to play keeper is on the pbox line now.... thus negating your idea about increasing variety. the way keeping is now it is currently most effective to play keeper/defender thus most ppl do it thus there is not variety.
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

I agree with berk. The keeper has powers because he is supposed to be saving shots, not shaking people.

However I haven't seen this behaviour in Aus, so it doesn't bother me.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

yoyo that is actaully a much better way of puting what i was saying. thx :)

keepers were given these powers to save shots not to shake ppl... love that cuz it is so true
Fallen_Bullet

Post by Fallen_Bullet »

So you guys never seen incubus or gnomeh ever play? Incubus can dodge and save anything, he rarely jumps out at the attacker. He is a stay at home keeper. Gnomeh, when he was around, was stay at home, but knew when to jump out and kill.

While being more aggresive is good, good attackers can get past that with passing it in.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

This became this way because of the NA pugs. Usually a lack of d forces the keep to make some 1v1 stops... and I dont know who (id like to think I did it), but the keepers now stand about 4 steps back from the line. If you charge and move in, you get hit. If you back up, they back up. Works well too, because I can do it pretty well. Its annoying though.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

theberkin8or wrote: twig... you play vo... it just isn't revalent to what i am talking about,

Anything that effects the regular game effects VO also. I play both and see keepers doing both in regular and VO games.

I don't know how the leagues plays in that your concern.
Bonkers

Post by Bonkers »

the idea of a keeper playing at the edge of the goal seems valid but it does have its negatives. if the shot is taken and he misses the tackle then he's screwed 90% of the time (other 10% is a defender covering the goals). also, passing it to a waiting team mate on the other side or even behind the keeper would result in a goal.

in the end, its a risk that the keeper has to consider before acting. if he wants to stand on the edge then the attacking side will just have to be more creative.

forcing keepers to play restrictively is just silly imo.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

theberkin8or wrote: yoyo that is actaully a much better way of puting what i was saying. thx :)

keepers were given these powers to save shots not to shake ppl... love that cuz it is so true

Says who? The other side could say they were given those powers to defend the goal.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

theberkin8or wrote: davidm I agree completely but my question is should the keeper be incouraged to play this way? imo it makes the game a little less fun, to have the keeper being a defender just seems like a flaw with the game imo.

thats not the question, but thats the 'better' way of keeping, and if done right its like having 6 playes ;)
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

yar that is part of my point and imo it shouldn't be..

oo yes there are keepers like inc and DK that still stay on the line... but they are a dying breed