Make up your minds! *shrug*

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

SpazzTic

Make up your minds! *shrug*

Post by SpazzTic »

Alright, so I love DeathBall...

Unfortunately, it seems that not many ppl play here in the US, as most I encounter on the server speak German :) :) ...all good though. However, I liked it so much, I bought a screaming new server and put it on my works` backbone... (A 45MB fiber link). I`ve updated it, addded new maps, made sure it`s stable (Linux), and pretty much treated it like my other 4 UT2k3 servers. Problem is, very few ppl ever join it. So its seems like a waste of hardware to me so far...I dunno.

My question is this: People bitch about bots being in a server...(Our server is MinPlayers=4)...but no one plays in an empty server, therefore the few that do will not any more. Do I use bots? I pose my question to the community before I pull this box...I don`t want to, but it seems everyone likes private and clan server for scrims and such, and everybody complains about bots whether they are on or off...I don`t get it. Our other servers on the same link are full all the time, maybe there are more servers than players right now...who knows? *shrug* Just my ponderings and $.02

FWIW: 205.155.6.61:7717 "GibGames.com DB-CustomMaps (1.6)"

Cheers!
Bazzi

Post by Bazzi »

Dont put bots on the server, it really sucks! :)
NitrousOxide

Post by NitrousOxide »

Currently, the bot AI in Deathball is extremely primitive, to say the least. Consequently, I would strongly suggest that you set MinPlayers to 0.

As regards to getting your server populated, your best bet would be to contact some of the American teams taking part in the official Deathball League. They could then arrange a friendly match or a team practice on your server and give feedback on how the connection was :)

If the feedback is positive, the chances are that American players will start using the server on a regular basis for public games, pickup games or clan matches. Private servers are always slow to form a regular clientbase, but once 3 or 4 are around regularly, others will see the server isnt empty and give it a try (and probably add it to their server favourites).

Here is a link to the official league website... http://www.deathball.net/db-league/inde ... &session=0
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

i don't play on pubs as much as i used to, but i would come play at your server if it has three qualities, it is has low ping, good maps, and a good chance of geting other players to come join me, like if i go into rush there is a good chance that someone else will come, but if i go into some no name often will be playing for a long time before anyone comes

oo and i will never go into an empty server that has bots, i hate them
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

theres a sever called ~*~*Sin City*~*~ or something like that but for the longest time no1 ever played on it becuase it didnt show up on the server list when the UT2003 master game server was down. I ping about 50 on it but i'm still forced to play on servers with 100+ ping because thats where everyone else is.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

about bots, ive found that it scares ppl away. in the ozforces server they had bots for a while, but after they were taken out, games started a lot easier.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

NitrousOxide wrote: Currently, the bot AI in Deathball is extremely primitive, to say the least. Consequently, I would strongly suggest that you set MinPlayers to 0.
I'd sooner have bots than a first time noob. ;D

Totally unrelated and offtopic, but has anyone noticed that "noobs" are getting better, quicker with every version? I can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing. :|
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

well, i guess the idea of an excellent game is "easy to pick up, difficult to master"
night

Post by night »

which is why everyone is scared of sprint
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

and DBL matches should be difficult to master
SpazzTic

Post by SpazzTic »

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your sound spanking of the bot idea :) :D

I have pulled MinPlayers to 0...thanks for the feedback...it is a pub server BTW, but in the US...so...I guess we`ll see.

Cheers!
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

it'd be fine with me if sprint was added to the game... after the league

as for now, it and banana should be nixxed and we should use 1.4b (which is what we started the league on)

Thats like playing a sport where some1 comes alson and magically changes the rules mid season. It just doesnt happen.
Paraone

Post by Paraone »

i agree with surge...it should be old style no bannana and no sprint...for this current league, change it next league....

as for the server minimum players should be 0...also if you want more traffic...consider talking to a clan about putting their name on it...like a "clan server name"/"your server name"...maybe for a price they will do that...or if you want traffic...i duhno....

for the TA server...sometimes its full sometimes its empty..same with RuSH and SoP and NS....if two are full..i go to another (usually TA cuz its mine) and start playing...in less then 30 minutes people join...once 1 person joins...then everyone starts hoping in...people have to see others playing most times before they will try it...also...try not to put on CRAPPY maps...cuz it will drive people away...also downloads will too...you just have to get people there...also offer it for League matches...maybe practices too...people start seeing others on it eventually they will be curious and try it out...

Surge, I just noticed sin city yesterday, played on it, it was full...good server...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"i agree with surge...it should be old style no bannana and no sprint...for this current league, change it next league...."

hurray
the first time surge said something smart
wasnt very smart indeed to change it at this moment
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

lol davidm how many times did i say this? but waht done is done :)