DBL - Suggestions - Good For The Community

All about Death Ball Leagues and Tournaments

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Fallen
Banned

DBL - Suggestions - Good For The Community

Post by Fallen »

Since the DBL is played by the community and made for the community to promote competitive play, I would like some people to give suggestion on where this past season went wrong. Please state problems you saw, and if you can, suggest some solutions. The DBL Council is trying to make season 3 a success, rather than the failure, in my opinion compared to season one.

Please post rational thoughts on pros/cons. Would speed up the process for us DBL council members because right now, our little group is taking over full responsibility over the league.

*Note* - This might mean that davidm/bazzi won't have much say on the rules so it will be more fair to some of you players who think the league changes only fit david's team.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

[DeeZ] being gay
sollution: kick/ban:p
D`Capital_G`NL

Post by D`Capital_G`NL »

No more broomsticks, *woohoo*
thats about all thats wrong now in my eyes =D
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

capital sullition to that is in 1.9 decrease of volleypowa
D`Capital_G`NL

Post by D`Capital_G`NL »

I know that =D
Just saying THATS whats wrong \o/
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

He asked whats wrong with the league, which has nothing to do with the game.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

I think there should be more supervision, like a spec referee or somin (neutral spec, posted bfore). I like it the way it is, accept all the admins who dont cancel their matches in time
Axl

Post by Axl »

Go back to the matches NOT being automatically dated for set days/dates (match days or what ever) - Make it so dates can be rescheduled up to 24 hrs before the game not 48 hours, all matches must have an official admin (not just a random person) have a set team of admins - Before each match both teams must meet in a set irc room ie: #DEUS-vs-AOV where all players who are involved go, not anyone else, keep it private.. both teams if possible suggest a server, and then players go on the server(s) to test pings to find which is the better server. While ping testing is going on, the admin makes quick checks that all players about to take part are registered on DBL and active. Once all checks are complete both teams join the server to play the match.. only person to be allowed to pause is the admin. After a pause the ball *MUST* be given back to the keeper of the other team regardless, no pausing for making a sub.. maybe if theres any laming the admin has the power to dish out warnings and/or removing the player from the game?

in general just more organisation, oh and new teams MUST wait till the following season to join the league.
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

some good points,

specially agree on 48 hour rule, really frustrating,mainly cos some of my team dont realise the games been rescheduled and dont show up cos the dates locked in the old date (and yes, thats even after tellin em about it)
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

good points idd, espacially the IRC channel where they must show up
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

We did discuss a 48 hour rule, but I'm leaning towards getting back to the way we had it in season 1 where the team admins had to schedule the games. Rather than auto-schedule, a team should know when they must play and if not, they shall reschedule, etc.
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

I believe that this season was FAR too long. It dragged and dragged, which isnt good for the game. With long seasons it also means that new teams have to wait ages to join the competitive league.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

Get rid of goal differential. You can still show the diff, but please don't make it count towards anything. The object of the game is to win, not run up the score. Any ties at the end of the season should be settled by another match, not goal diff.

Also change the scoring system to a hockey system and utilize Golden Goal preferably 5 minute OT. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 1 for an overtime loss, 0 for a loss. This scoring keeps everyone closer and gives all teams a chance to in by the end of the season, instead of the top 2 or 3.
devnull

Post by devnull »

as far as ref/spec i think the council should appoint 1 person from each team to me a ref...this means no playing on home servers you play on the refs server so they can have admin rights. they pause ONLY when it is needed and if there is a disput then they can be the mod. if the specs team doesn`t have a server there are always a server avalible from one of the other clans and there is also na public if needed
Orbitul

Post by Orbitul »

I thought the season was too long as well. The break was not needed. Also, see if you can make it so that the US teams have roughly the same amount of games as the Euros so that the US teams don't have to wait so long in between matches.

I like Foo's ideas about the scoring so that the league standings are closer towards the end. (3 points is too much emphasis on a win). Although since i dont think they will change it that much, why not just 2 points for win and 1 for tie? And maybe get rid of the goal differential and play a playoff match if needed at the end. The goal differential is really not good for DB because it's so possible to run up the score where as in normal sports leagues it's just not that easy.

As far as all the rules about needing an admin there and meeting beforehand, etc.. i just dont know how much of that can really happen. Sometimes it's hard enough just to get the 2 teams together to play at the same time.. making it even more difficult might not be a good idea. Also, who is really going to take all their free time to admin other peoples games? That job will get old fast. I think it has worked out pretty much ok so far with just the team leaders scheduling a time and then just following the rules the best they can.