Penalty for Shooting Ball Out Of Play?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

bURNINGrOID

Penalty for Shooting Ball Out Of Play?

Post by bURNINGrOID »

It's a pretty common tactic to volley/shoot the ball out of play when things are getting hairy in your own end. This is illegal in most sports, and there are rules about it. It would be interesting to do it in DB. Maybe have two spots on the left and right about midway from your goal to midfield. Like faceoff circles in hockey. If your team shoots the ball out of play in your end, the ball respawns on either one of these spots instead of midfield. The left or right spot would be determined by which side of the field the ball left play on.

Theoretically this would give the attackers more of an advantage than having the ball spawn midfield, though sometimes it may work to the defenders advantage.

I think this could add an interesting nuance to play, and it would encourage the D to pass out instead of firing it out of play.

Thoughts?
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

for tossing it over the walls, the other teams keeper should get the ball (on that little penelty dot) and let them play it from there.. it would almost guarentee posession because the def coulding pick it up off the circle. Right now its just a cheap way to get the ball to midfield :\
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

good idea, but how about just give the ball straight to enemy keeper, because your penalty dot idea could still be abused.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

how so? the penalty spot is entirely within the Pbox, hammer range and all.

If the keeper isnt smart enough to dodge out and get it when it spawns on the spot, or doesnt frag the person tat walks in the pbox to get the ball, its his own fault.
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

i know this may seem strange to some ppl, but there are servers for public use, called pubs... and there are competitions for 2v2 and 3v3... (also, there are small maps, like smallcube)

in all these situations it is reasonable for a keeper to be playing mixed keeper and defence.

say the keeper is 5m behind halfway, and the ball is reset. the keeper is alone and has to run/sprint back, the enemy team (who reset it) are together and boost themselves back past the keeperfor an easy goal.

i suggest that the ball should go to the keeper, or else to the last keeper (if there is no keeper currently) as long as that person is in their own half, or else to a random person in their own half, or else to the center.
ZyCho

Post by ZyCho »

what about when the ball are shot out of play, there will be a throw in, there is even a sound fore it in the DB announcer pack?
The opposing team to the one who shot the ball out, will get the ball at the closest wall should not be attackable before he released the ball (add a timelimit to prevent afk problems on pub's).
Harold|ZBN

Post by Harold|ZBN »

YoYo789 wrote: i suggest that the ball should go to the keeper, or else to the last keeper (if there is no keeper currently) as long as that person is in their own half, or else to a random person in their own half, or else to the center.

hmmm ure saying that a keeper is not inside his p zone all the time. then if the ball gets shot out he gets it instantly. so in 3v3 u could do this:

blue keeper gets ball,
2 blue players run to the last red keeper,
blue keeper shoots it out,
2 blue players frag the red keeper, HRHRHR
well i guess u get my point ^^
Onge

Post by Onge »

I don't agree that anything needs changing. Anyone can shoot the ball out of play if they so choose and if the changes outlined above were to be implemented then the height of many maps should be doubled. Balls reset a little too often when punted high. But I think it's fine how it is and don't see any benefit to the proposed changes.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

I agree with Syco, sometimes the attacker gets it and shoots, sometimes the def clears it.

How would you guys like it if a penalty was awarded against your team for scoring? Thought so.
Diab

Post by Diab »

heh throwins would be cool is done right, but it would have to be like the ball is given to closest opposing team and he is against the wall on the floor and cannot move or be attacked untill he lobs it? dunno.

but i do think the ball reset should be changed, no matter how little its a bit cheap for getting the ball midfield.
BlackFlame

Post by BlackFlame »

can i just remind a few people this isnt football
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

^^

what he said
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

or maybe you could add a roof to cube?

*stops kidding myself*
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

BlackFlame wrote: can i just remind a few people this isnt football

but it is a mix of many sports and i know no sports which don't have some sort of out of bounds penalty, which in most cases involves giving possesion to the other team.
Diab

Post by Diab »

most of the time the balls out of play because of its height, not how much over the side it goes, what about extending the invisible roof that detects the ball like HIGH, too high for most max power shots, and maby make it so if the ball lands in the crowd it looks like its thrown out? (bouncy collision?)

ok its a large metal ball but its better then just warping to the middle.