Is it possible to get offline version of Notpron?

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

fauve

Is it possible to get offline version of Notpron?

Post by fauve »

Hello, I’m new here.

I ask if it is possible to get offline version of Notpron. To be honest I made a list of all my favorite games I call Autoludography (french only, sorry) and now I made a script witch install all this games in Linux.
So, For web-based games, I will create a dedicated Firefox profile with link to local files of the game. I need this also because I haven’t Internet all time.

So, is it possible to get an offline archive of Notpron?
Thank you.
amh

Re: Is it possible to get offline version of Notpron?

Post by amh »

Hi fauve no, the game is online only.
fauve

Post by fauve »

Thank you for you fast reaction.

As a (moderate) supporter of free software, open source, and opendata, I am very disappointed of this decision :/
But anyway, I respect your decision and I still want to play Notpron :) but with a little bitterness :/

Thank you o/
Jay2k1
Administrator

Post by Jay2k1 »

Free software and open source doesn't really have much to do with notpron. Open sourcing it would take away all its magic and would pretty much be like publishing a walkthrough.

Same with an offline version. You would need to download hundreds of files, and discovering many of these files is a crucial part of the game. Also it wouldn't even work without a webserver running, for example the user/pass system relies on HTTP basic auth.

It is not just a questionable decision, it's just not possible.
Nied7

Post by Nied7 »

I came to think about it earlier today, I think may actually be possible for the vast majority of levels, with file encryption. The thing is, is it worth the effort? It would need volunteers with the technical knowledge. Probably in the end of the game's life, if we need a way to preserve it when servers go down; but it's still up fine nearly 20 years later, so nothing really to worry about.