Question about the correct installation on my server

Problems setting up a server and other server related things

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

citomaster

Question about the correct installation on my server

Post by citomaster »

Next Friday, the fourth edition of QwertyLAN, my lanparty, commences. As a fun-competition I'd like to play Deathball. I thought it would be a quick job to get everything right. This is what I did:

- I installed and patched the UT2004 dedicated server
- I installed the DB mod
- I replaced certain files to make it possible for others to download the mod directly from the server (Source)

So far everything seems to work just fine, people can join my server and the game plays great. For some reason, however, noone except me is able to 'pass' the ball to others (with '2nd fire' on the right mouse button). A search in your forum gave me this: http://www.notpron.org/forum/viewtopic. ... re#p551071, and I think this is exactly my issue. Ofcourse I can ask everyone to perform the steps suggested in that topic, but it would be easier if I could implement a fix of some kind that solves this awkward problem. I'd be pleased if one of you knows the answer!

Citomaster
The_One

Re: Question about the correct installation on my server

Post by The_One »

I don't think a server side fix is possible I'm afraid. I think you'll just have to tell them to delete it.
citomaster

Post by citomaster »

The_One wrote:I don't think a server side fix is possible I'm afraid. I think you'll just have to tell them to delete it.

Thanks for the reply, but then I have another question. :P

I've tested the mod on several computers and came to the conclusion that if you download the mod directly from the dedicated server UT2004 doesn't create some necessary files. For example, the client-side fix tells me to delete the deathballUser.ini file, but at those client computers the file doesn't even exist. I won't be that big of a disaster if players can't pass the ball to each other, because none of them can, but you might understand that I'd like everything to work. ;P
The_One

Post by The_One »

Ah, I can imagine that would be a problem. deathballuser.ini isn't created until you run ut2004.exe with the -Mod=Deathball parameter, after Deathball's been installed locally.

Can you put up a folder somewhere of the deathball directory and tell people to copy it to C:\UT2004 (or wherever UT is installed)? I can't think of a way without a full local install. Server download isn't really a supported method of installation with UT mods.
citomaster

Post by citomaster »

That would be an idea. I'm going to discuss this with my fellow crew and see if we can come to a suitable solution. We're going to have to choose between full usability or full functionality. I'd like to thank you for your help and I'm sure everything will work out just fine. ;)