Attention: Take off your pants and jacket (BETA map)

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

fro

Attention: Take off your pants and jacket (BETA map)

Post by fro »

Here is a public-er beta of a map i started at some point last year and sort of forgot and didnt work on for a bit.

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=name1wu8.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=name2bg1.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=name3vr2.png
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=name4om8.jpg

are the pictures from the last thread. its changed a bit, and been a bit more polished since then.

Iv toyed around with some form of overlay on it, but since removed it, this public beta will allow me to find out if it breaks someones display or pushes their grandma down the stairs or something.

Anyway, here is a download link for your clicking pleasure 2 and a bit megabytes.

Let me know your thoughts here or in irc, im well open to constructive critisism and the like, dont worry about offending my fragile ego, ill only become an alcoholic and drive the car off the next bridge i pass.

edit: err, yeah. its got higher walls than cube, set out goals, and is a somewhere between cube and echo dimension wise.
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

was worth a quick download... but needs polishing

biggest complaint wud be I couldn't really make out the top of the walls too easily with just that thin border and similar colours...

couldn't see the goal posts too easily either...

... either its dark... or i must be half blind :\
fro

Post by fro »

ok, brightened up goal posts a lot, increased the general ambient light available and iv attempted to brighten the trimming border.

im not happy with the trim tho, so will attempt to think up an alternative to it.

thanks for the points so far :)
DoMmeh``

Post by DoMmeh`` »

looks nice, but on the screens MAYBE a bit too wide ? or a 5on5 map^^ ? dunno, but i like its style :)

e: k saw that its a 5on5 map. nice work and good idea with the goal thing getting hurt
Last edited by DoMmeh`` on 20-02-2007 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

size isn't bad... would probably work better as a 5v5 map i guess

only other thing is... when the ball is rolling over some of the surfaces, mainly the roughed patch areas on the floor, the ball gets covered a bit and it looks odd.... or something.....

bah, just try rolling the ball about in different places, u'll see :P ( i hope ;) )
fro

Post by fro »

it is meant for 5v5 :)

iv had an attempt at resolving the disappearing bit of ball on rough patch problem.. let me know if you get odd flickering on the patches.

this includes the lighter goal posts, brighter all round stuff and more visible height thing. havent thought up an alternate trim idea yet, so this just has the brighter trim.. hmm

beta2
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

still got the flickering an odd time or 2... generally its looking better...

still needs the rim sorting, and i'm not totally sure about the goal post texture myself...
also, you know the grate on the side of the red goal... how come thats the only one used ?

Maybe you could come up with something for the rim that suggests a good reason why the ball resets where it does ?

then soon you'll have a finished another dark dank db map to go with the collection ;) but thats the style of this one i guess so i can't complain about it \o/ :P
fro

Post by fro »

iv sorted the flicker, or at least evened it out now.

the goalpost texture is staying because i love it and err, thats about it!

the grate on the red was simply for some variation. it would be simple to apply it to both, or remove it completely.

havent thought of a good replacement texture still, or anything reset zone esque that would look right.
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

heh... i knew u'd say something like that about the goal posts.... I don't like the size of the texture... looks wierd with so many repeats in it :P
... and if i was moaning about textures i'd more likely pick up on the dials texture that u stretched to fit on the rectangle pieces along the rim by the pipes. When originally u used them on the square boxes ;) doesn't look right stretched like that...

anyway...

i dunno... just thought it might look nice to have the grate on more or all of the goals, but can't really say till i see it

let me come up with an idea in 10 secs.... hmmmmm.... how about.... i dunno.... nope.... shove those rails from the v top platforms all the way along the rim or something... bah! you'll think of something \o/
fro

Post by fro »

Adversary wrote: heh... i knew u'd say something like that about the goal posts.... I don't like the size of the texture... looks wierd with so many repeats in it :P
... and if i was moaning about textures i'd more likely pick up on the dials texture that u stretched to fit on the rectangle pieces along the rim by the pipes. When originally u used them on the square boxes ;) doesn't look right stretched like that...

anyway...

i dunno... just thought it might look nice to have the grate on more or all of the goals, but can't really say till i see it

let me come up with an idea in 10 secs.... hmmmmm.... how about.... i dunno.... nope.... shove those rails from the v top platforms all the way along the rim or something... bah! you'll think of something \o/

goalpost texture will be resolved, as will the streched dials once i find the 3ds package i saved them as.

e: already fixed that up, now the hard bit..

like the idea of the railed edges, ill mesh out a trim at some point over the next few days
Last edited by fro on 21-02-2007 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

\o/
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

must I get naked to appreciate it ? :o
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

He never said anything about socks!
Adversary

Post by Adversary »

What're u on about bunny ? .... socks ? wt