n00bs spoiling the game?? ... or big named claned members?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Axl

n00bs spoiling the game?? ... or big named claned members?

Post by Axl »

I have just finished an almost enjoyable public session.. I no longer use my tag on publics cos im fed up of the constant "haha we just owned tezc" blah blah crap comments, and I like to just go in a public after a hard days work and knocked around a bit..

Tonight I was in a public server, and it was pretty much full of "n00b" players, some of which were obviously very new to the game.. However, it was a really enjoyable game.. No flaming, no moaning, a couple of good moments which deservered a "WP" "N1" etc etc, the matches were pretty close and lasted a good 25-30 mins each..

This is how it should be! :D

However.. all was about to end..

A couple of big clan members joined in (Clan will remain nameless) and then the flaming begins.. Every 5 seconds it would be "WTF?"? "PASS MORON" "W**KER" etc etc, pretty soon all the beginer players started to drop, and the whole matches turned into a volley whore show off match which was over 10-0 within minutes..

This is what is killing Deathball! the fact that the big clans, and big headed players feel the need to go into servers and be-little all the beginner players, rather than enjoy a game with them!

Im not saying all good/big clanned players are like this.. however a lot are! and if deathball needs to survive then this has to stop!

Needless to say I left the server shortly after that, and found another game to play, which im sure a lot of the "n00bs" who just got slagged off just did! :(
night

Re: n00bs spoiling the game?? ... or big named claned member

Post by night »

TEZC-Axl wrote: volley whore show off match
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

Its not a character flaw unique to Deathball, but hte inpact it has is.

Lets compare it to regular deathmatch for a second.

new players will have a close match, but then a good player will come in and dominate. The match will become one sided, but everyone can still ahve fun fragging. That and the good player won't get frustrated by a lack of skill by other players.. he may think its too easy... but there won't be huge frustration. The new players can still have fun going against each other, or have fun ganging up on the good guy.

In team based games like TFC, a good player can still have a huge impact, but again, you can gang up on the good player, and if you're the good palyer, while it really helps to have a good team, you can have fun killing, or flag running or whatever, even if you're losing.

However, in Deathball, the success of every player is tied to the success of every other player. This means that the greater the difference in skill, the low end will have to struggle to be able to have any sort of game with the high end, and the high end has to lower (often not fun) to meet the low end. Neither group wants to make that huge comprimise. That divide is what furstrates both ends.

Its one of the few things I have no idea on how to approach. It is tied with the entry skill level, mostly because it is not a standard gametype, and also tied to how much of the game is in the details, like reacting to the smallest change in a running pattern, and such. There is a lot of small timing, which makes all the difference. You need variety in play and a high roof for skill for a game to survive, but at the same time, you need the low end to be able to at least compete with and against the high end. Its a sticky situation.

Its also worthy to note that in other games, "public" public servers are normally for very new players and "clan" public servers are for people who are more advanced. To an extent it is like that in Deathball, but the fanbase isn't large enough to support that. Usually there are only 1-3 North American servers with any people on at a given time, this forces integration. =\
Orbitul

Post by Orbitul »

Yah we've been complaining about this for a while. There is one american clan in particular that is quite annoying, and we all know who it is haha. But it's not just them, most of the american scene is fedup with n00bs and only play in locked games so there is not even good public games going on. Sometimes i find the locked games even more annoying than the n00b games, but maybe that's just me.

DB is tough for beginners because you cannot get lost in the shuffle while you are learning, you stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure there is a way to fix that.
Orbitul

Post by Orbitul »

Hey Rampart, check your pm. thx.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

I'm pretty sure it won't have been anyone from DEUS. But anyway to respond, I agree with you 100% Axl. It's happening more and more all over now, in pickups and even in clan games.

From now on I just won't bother associating with anyone who's constantly bitching or making elitist remarks. If everyone else would do the same, we'd soon have this problem sorted.
RahSun

guilty...

Post by RahSun »

but ffs learn to play the game....there are those who don't even WANT to try or even LISTEN when ppl to are trying to teach them. I mean I had an experience with a n00b just the other day but guess what....HE WAS ASKING QUESTIONS. I was so shocked I was typing most of the game to help bring him up to speed...

So I admit I do get pissed and start flaming n00bs not because they s00k but because they don't try to learn the game...when in Rome...do as the frickin Romans DO! Just my $0.02

Rah
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

Just my experience... its easier to learn with either 3 people (newb included) or 12 people in the game. with 3 people, the new players get to see how players interact, and most of the time, people will help them. In a 12 player game, a new person can kind of fade out of the way and see how people work, and pick things up that way.

In between, its really hard for new players I think. I have seen people improve by leaps and bounds in either situation, but very very few in the in-betweens.
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

Not to mention that its easier for the "top" players to tolerate people without exceptional skill in those situations.
bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

I have more fun in Pubs then I ever have with a bunch of so called 'ballers'. I like a straight up pick up match with out trash talking 133t fool clan boys.
RahSun

Post by RahSun »

Rampart wrote: Not to mention that its easier for the "top" players to tolerate people without exceptional skill in those situations.

Good points there Ramp...btw where have you been...I hardly ever see you on servers anymore.

Rah
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

shhh people here don't necessarily know that I haven't played in a long while.

Anyway.. I'm working on a couple things right now, so I don't really have time except for some short bursts between things.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"haha we just owned tezc"

hah yeah i know that, I am playing with 4 noobs against 5 experienced players and lose pretty high, and they go "we pwnd cy13"
0_o

well, if n00bs are alone they will have their fun, no question, its the ones who complain
BUT if i try to help the n00bs and they totally ignore me and dont seem to read the chat, then they ruin it for me
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

one thing which would help, a tutorial like the ut2003 dm ones and stuff. you could even just have a map which is just matinee explaining what does what and things like that, im sure it would help alleviate the frustration and hasten the learning process...
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

Main reason I hardly ever use my usual name anymore