My Riddle

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

Eka

My Riddle

Post by Eka »

Ok, as an experienced player of notpr0n I've decided to start what a lot of you have done- My own riddle. But, I am a complete noob, and I would like some advice right from the start, web hosting, how to put stuff in source codes etc. So if you great people would like to help me out from the start, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks-

Eka

Ps. If this is off-topic just move it ;)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

i can only suggest the notpron making of. i've got a 2-3 page chapter about design hints for riddles.

you are asking technical stuff. if you cant create a simple html with a picture and comments in the source...why are you here? :>
Eka

Post by Eka »

To be honest I didn't know how to until I started playing, I'll take a look at the making of, but any more help from people would be hot

EDIT: I also need something to host it, probably :confused: I'm a noob as I said
Eka

Post by Eka »

Ah come on. Sacrifice a minute of your time to help a fellow human out :mad:
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

google has tons of information on html coding and web hosting sites.

Other than that, I don't have the time nor the patience to teach someone html coding via instant messenger.. so I can't be of any help.

:)
Eka

Post by Eka »

Hehe, I know all about source codes, just need a decent place to host, preferably a free one. Can you reccomend? :p
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

decent and free don't go together for a hosting site.

You get limited bandwidth and that sucks.

It's best to purchase one.
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Don't know where you are in the world but I've been pretty happy with my NTL free webspace (UK). If I were to take it to the next stage I'd consider http://www.123-reg.co.uk/host.shtml from £1.59 pcm though as Jen says bandwidth is limited on free/cheap hosts - like with everything you get what you pay for.
Faldion

Post by Faldion »

Yeah... A free one has either:
a) annoying ads
b) limited bandwidth
c) limited space
d) limited options
e) all of the above
I'm hosting my own smallish riddle (http://koti.mbnet.fi/quest/ ;)) for free though, but I'm a subscriber of a Finnish computer magazine and they offer 50Mb of free hosting space for subscribers without any limitations/ads...
Eka

Post by Eka »

That hosting site looks cool, any other reccomendations would be awesome. I am willing to pay, but not really per month, so I'm looking for a free/one-off payment one. Ads don't bother me, btw and bandwidth doesn't have to be enormous. :p

Cheers for the help so far guys!

P.S no freewebs! :(
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

I don't know of any sites that you only pay once. Unless you do it for a 1 year subscription. Then you can decide in another year if you want to pay to renew it.
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

godaddy.com has sites starting at $3.95 a month..
Eka

Post by Eka »

Ok, I'd just thought I'd let you all know my riddle is officially underway, I'm even using some skills I picked up from notpron itself, so thanks to DavidM for teaching me coding skills through online gaming :p

Btw, I'm using Prohosting.com, free version, and it works like a dream.