DB-JE-MatrixLobby

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Should I continue to work on this map?

Yes definately! It's the Dog's Bollox...
76%
No way! It's the Dog's Breath...
24%

Total votes: 17

The Hermit

DB-JE-MatrixLobby

Post by The Hermit »

Now that DB-JE-TheBook has gone final I'd like to know if you think I should finish my previous map.

http://maps.4cows.net/4cows/deathballma ... .php?id=24

It's already got radar and bot pathing, but no goal events and the textures need work... :confused:

[edit]New screenshot uploaded 13/04/2003[/edit]
Last edited by The Hermit on 13-04-2003 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
Shuri

Post by Shuri »

Yes

But I would say the lighting needs more work than the textures.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

It's not as bright as the picture suggests, if that's what you mean. :confused:
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

needs more textures.. and the floors a little corney... maybe you should just do the pboxes and keeper box in the tiles.

The walls dont anything like they did in the matrix if i recall
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

The walls were a light shiny brown stone with large tiling in the film. The floor was also shiny with the strips in a slightly different shade than the rest of the floor.
I'd been having trouble with the shine but I think I'll be able to do it now! :)
Alars

Post by Alars »

get rid of the reset fields above the goals - if you want...:p

just have some more pbox area behind the goal, it'll still make it hard to self volley, if thats what youre concerned about...
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

The reason I went for the reset fields was due to the different sizes of the areas behind the goals. It would probably make people try and run around behind the goals and make it harder to play. :confused:
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Well I can get that you are trying to completely recreate the lobby as it was in the movie. But rather than having the elevator on the red side, you could make it more symmetrical like some versions of the matrix lobby I've seen. One I liked in particular had two metal detectors on either side, and a small area behind each one. Perhaps you could keep the two metal detectors on either side of the goals as you already have but make it possible to walk through them into the little area behind the goals. Also remove the lasers. This way, the players can get into the area behind goals by jumping over the goals or going through the detectors. Not only does this expand the playing field and make it a little easier for self volleyers, it also means that in order for opposing players to get behind your goals, they must risk their lives in the penalty zone first. This gives the defense some fun gibbing oppurtunities, unless the attackers are tactful enough to evade them. Just a suggestion, what ya think?
Last edited by Armagon on 13-04-2003 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Definately NOT making it easier for self volleyers! :p
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

there was metal detectors in the movie if i recall... you could very easily make the elivator 1 goal and the metal detectors another with bars on either side to prevent going around them or over them.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

lol it took me years to figure out reflective surfaces http://www.leveldesigner.com/forums/ind ... ead&ID=885 is a thread which is rather large about it and eventually figures it out if you read through it. just make sure there is no part of the level beyond the reflective surface or it goes spacko.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"needs more textures" = "I have no clue about mapping"

but lighting sucks indeed, just randomly placed default lights
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

DavidM wrote: "needs more textures" = "I have no clue about mapping"

Lights are evenly placed along both sides where the light strips are and up near the roof where a skylight should be, hardly random! :mad:
There are all the basic white or a tinted sunlight colour due to that being the only two sources of light in the movie scene.

Anyway, I'm getting nowhere with the shine on the walls. It either gets replaces with the ball texture when the ball gets near it or you can see straight through the pillars. :(

I think this map is at a dead end. :confused:
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

To be honest, I liked the concrete feel of the level. I realise that it is meant to be like the original lobby in the matrix with the marble floor, and black, marble pillars, but still. Don't forget people, DB isn't all about appearances (has everyone forgotten about lowcube?). I found that I could have a manic game on this level with just 5 bots that can normally do bugger-all.

As for DavidM and his opinion of the lighting:
"WTF YOU ON? RANDOM LIGHTING? BS!" (j/k)
I admit the lighting is simple, but simple works sometimes. Remember that.

Besides, its not like Hermit's chief goal is to make the map worthy of a position in one of the next DB versions.
DB-JE-TheBook may be good for that. :)
Last edited by Armagon on 14-04-2003 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

DavidM wrote: "needs more textures" = "I have no clue about mapping"

this comming from the creator of a map with 4 walls, 1 of which is offset and with the "blinding wall of death" means little to nothing