A Music thread

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

Lyam

Post by Lyam »

First post. *pat pat*

Okay, well. I'm surprised, even though we've visited the genre, noone has mentioned Tori Amos. Live more than ever, she's one of the most potent solo artists I've ever heard. Shame!

Personally, I'd claim to have position similar to "anonymous!"'. And as for broad taste, I guess my two extremes are screamcore (like The Number Twelve Looks Like You) and early romanticism virtuoso (like DeBussy, or Nicólo Paganini).
Though, mostly things will fall somewhere inbetween the two. Usually in the experimental-but-still-musically-identifyable kind of genres. Radiohead is a common example (amnesiac kinds of albums), and I saw Scissor Sisters mentioned, but more relative would be things like Wünderkammer, Momus, The Decemberists..

And then, I have (like "anonymous!") a few genres which, to my experience, simply haven't done much for me. Even though I've listened to them extensively, and that's most likely not even an overstatement.
Nu-metal, gangster-rap, danceband/standup stuff, and techno are examples, though there are more.

Lastly, I'm a musician myself, recording a demo in a different country this summer. My own music would fall in the experimental-yet-likable kind of acoustic rock genre, yet the overorchestrated kind. Violins and glockenspiels and choirs and ukuleles. Think Patric Wolf versus The Decemberists with Reznor writing the songs, and we're on to something. Minus all the greatness, of course. I wouldn't brag on me half the talent of any of the aforementioned, but I try. :)

If you read all this, put your right arm on your left shoulder and give yourself a good hug from me. Thank you. Now, email me your credit-card number. HURRY!

-L-
Redline_Angel

Post by Redline_Angel »

tori amos is amazing, but heather nova is greater...
jooly

Post by jooly »

Tori Amos is pretty good (haven't heard the beekeeper yet - is it a bill woodrow reference?). Shame about Strange Little Girls, though.
GhostsDaddy

Post by GhostsDaddy »

Favorite Artists by the Genres I Most Listen To:

Musicals: I really like most of the soundtracks of Wicked, West Side Story, Bye Bye Birdie, Rent, and Guys and Dolls, among others.
Alternative: They Might Be Giants is the best band ever period. Modest Mouse is good too.
Emo: The Gloria Record, Bright Eyes, Rufio, 764-HERO.
jooly

Post by jooly »

*not to put too fine a point on it
you're the only bee in my bonnet
put a little birdhouse in your soul*

or something along those lines.
Lyam

Post by Lyam »

Bright eyes? Emo? Ahem.
lolig00

Post by lolig00 »

any trance fans ?? or u guys still donno what trance is ?:P
Honeybunny

Post by Honeybunny »

Just want to add what I listen to ;)
System Of A Down, Scars Of Life, Soulfly, Evanescence, Krezip, Stone Sour.... and so on!
jamged

Post by jamged »

I am in love with the Polyphonic Spree....they are simply Amazing!

you really have to hear it if you never have before. Their site is http://www.thepolyphonicspree.com and I highly recommend paying them a visit.

On a side note, I recently discovered the band "Streetlight Manifesto," a ska/punk-ish band (heavy on the ska). Pretty cool stuff, lots of horn and saxophone, and really crazy drumming; just the way I like it:p

I suggest checking these two bands out if you've never heard of them.
htid

Post by htid »

Ok noone wrote on this post for ages but i thought id add, to let garg and lolig00 know they are not alone...well in the way that i like electronic music...but not trance and stuff. More like happy hardcore and dutch/german hardcore/gabber. As well as speedcore and DnB...anything over 160bpm i guess :p But also hiphop, metal, classical and 80's electropop :D I guess noone agrees, my taste appeals to a very select few i think :P

Chris.
meep98324

Post by meep98324 »

This is a great thread, thought it needed a little bit of an extra bump to get going. I love most types of rock, from the White Stripes, to QOTSA, to Led Zeppelin, to my favorite band, Nirvana. just bought Beggar's Banquet, incredible album, highly suggest it to anyone with a taste for many types of music, because it's a very diverse album.
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

Oh.. Nirvana.. that brings back memories!

Long summer nights in the garage with.. some homemade raspberry wine, cigarettes we stole from my parents.. Kurt.. Krist.. Mike, Matt and Buzz (from The Melvins ), my brother, my best friends and incredibly loud music!

*sigh* I miss the 80's and Kurt.
meep98324

Post by meep98324 »

Did you live near Aberdeen in the 80's?
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

I did.. and still do.

I'm about 10 miles west of Aberdeen.
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

My brother was friends with Kurt and originally was supposed to be in the band. Things happened and Rick was tossed to the side.

Kurt spent a lot of time at my house.

Right along with the guys from the Melvins

I was a very lucky teenager :)
Last edited by frkyjenn on 02-12-2005 05:10, edited 1 time in total.