The NOOBS Deathball Bible

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

.m.

The NOOBS Deathball Bible

Post by .m. »

I would like to hear some Deathball suggestions/strategies that might help us noobs out. Deathball 101.

What are some things we should/shouldn't be doing?
What are some strategies we could use to become better team players... etc. Example - when I'm running down the field "attacking" with another teamate, and its volly only, where should I try to position myself to give myself the best chance at a goal? I know it varries, but the good players always seem to know where to be on the field. And timing is impeccable! It's a thing of beauty to see a perfect set and slam into the goal, but I always end up in the wrong position, or I under jump the ball and look like... well... a NOOB.:D

I know a lot of this just comes with practice and experience, but since everyone (generalization) seems to get so annoyed with the noobs, this might help us before we get back out on the field.

Thanks!
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Good strategy if you're the only one on defense and there's two people coming at you, play towards the middle. If you go towards one person they'll only pass it to the other and you'll be far away. Play towards the middle, wait for them to get closer. Kill them if they step over your line! Try to make them get rid of the ball so you can intercept.

Boost your teammates up the field when possible. Get behind the person and shoot. Take boosts from people to get ahead of opposing team and get ball. Person will shoot you from behind and you jump at the right time and you'll go farther faster.

If you have nobody open, yet a man is near center court, sometimes a good option is to shoot the ball out of the field and it'll reset to the center where your man can pick it up.

Sometimes passing to yourself against the wall is a good option. But don't be a ball hog!

I don't know what you call it, but I call it the "Spike" or "Bump Shot".. am a soft shot at the ground in front of you then immediately hit it again. It'll bump on the ground then rocket forward from your second shot.

There's too much stuff to mention. Just keep playing and you get better.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

there are a couple good faq and db 101's out there, look at pdb and dbc
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

i hope i dont sound like an idiot for this, but i feel it must be said. one thing that i noticed was that a few players have their details set so they are getting 15-20 fps. it might sound completely obvious, but put ur graphics down to get nice fps. bad fps makes it a lot harder to follow whats going on, regardless of whether ur ping is < 50.

oh yeah, and if in defence, keep ur eyes on the radar. if someone gets open near the goal then chances are they will score.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Good idea. I run my DB in 16-Bit color at 800x600. My friend does the same even with his good ATI Radeon 9700 video card and 128 MB ram!
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

the 1000th deathball n00b guide -_-
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

The 1000th snobby reply from DavidM.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

DavidM wrote: the 1000th deathball n00b guide -_-

Then why don't you get off your arse and sort out the FAQ?
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

I don't know what you call it, but I call it the "Spike" or "Bump Shot".. am a soft shot at the ground in front of you then immediately hit it again. It'll bump on the ground then rocket forward from your second shot.
that's called a noob-cannon, you stupid noob ;)
1234SamY

Post by 1234SamY »

Just to elaborate on boosting.

When someone hits you with their hammer (either enemy or team mate) if you keep moving in the direction of being hit - and time your jumps, you go a long way very fast... this is boosting. If you jump just before you are boosted - then you can do the three extra jumps while in the air - and maximise the distance you travel.

Try not to get too close to the guy your marking (if your on defence) cos they will boost you out of the way, and some evil gits boost you really far away leaving them a clear path to the goal. In the same way - if your trying to get into position, boost the enemy away from you. Or if your both chasing a loose ball - and hes just in front of you, wait till your both near the ball, then boost him away - or over the ball.

Keep an eye on the radar. If you find your team mate moving towards you or chasing directly behind you - they they are either looking for you to boost them or looking to boost you. Also if a team mate is jumping around directly in front of you - most likely he's looking for a boost.

Another very good way to pick up skills is to spectate clan matches.

Finally, if your new to the game, dont play in offense, stay back or midfield. You'll get more chances to get the ball, and practice passing.
fluffykitten

Post by fluffykitten »

Demos are good for learning some new tricks, serverside ones especially .. take a look through the DBL results of some of the better known clans and see if there's a demo attached.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I just think it doesn't help...
all the experienced players come together and come up with some basic teamplay rules or whatever...
but the n00bs don't read it...
when you play a game for the first time, would you just go online and play, or would you join a forum and look for n00b guides?
really....
DiStUrbeD

Post by DiStUrbeD »

yuppicide wrote:

n00b cannon :p

EDIT: i didnt bother reading all of the posts, and just saw someone else posted the same thing..lol
speedy

Post by speedy »

STAY IN GOAL ;)
smattbac

Post by smattbac »

DavidM wrote: would you join a forum and look for n00b guides?

No, but you could put it on the website and a link that everyone can see. Or atleast put the most common issues in the faq(!).