"No self-volley" mode screwed

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

The_One

"No self-volley" mode screwed

Post by The_One »

^

It just doesn't work. Impossible to volley from your own half into the goal. It resets. Same if you are boosted into the opposition half and hit the ball before reaching the ground.

Other misc weirdness too. Guess it's never been tested before. :D
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

uhm, it did work once. must have gotten screwed up later
Onge

Post by Onge »

I put it on the 3v3 Juice server to encourage passing (which is extremely rare) and to stop the gheyness that is rmb self-volley shit. I know it hasn't been a popular addition! I bet someone has switched it back already...
The_One

Post by The_One »

I liked it, it just doesn't work very well.
Onge

Post by Onge »

I've played a bit and get a lot of people moaning. But the server is still full most of the time so it doesn't put people off. If the bugs could be fixed I'm sure it'd win more people 'round.

And it's much better playing as a team. I think it should stay...
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

agreed, I think its much better
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

Im not only here to talk about how no self-volley is bugged but y is it on JUICE 3on3 server? I've just played DB after some weeks where i didnt play and it really sucked :/

I mean, its bugged, there were plenty situations while playing in which it reseted for no good reason.

But, 3on3 or 2on2 games with no self-volley just don't make sense.
If it's 2on2, basicly when the team is attacking the guy that has the ball is useless. the whole thing gets predictable, the defending team doesnt need to mark the guy with the ball just boost the other to fuck til the ball carrier gets bored and gives u the ball, no point.
3on3 its the same situation, if the teams have a stationary keeper.
This was a bad move, imo.

It just my opinion, Onge. :)

Concerning the bug, it seemed that most of the time that the volley would be set up by an enemy player it would reset, weird. If u kill the ball carrier and volley it after it resets definately, at least it happened some times. Needs to be looked at.
The_One

Post by The_One »

I've come to the conclusion that it sucks worse than a 5000watt sucky thing that has been tweaked specifically to maximise suckage.

Why do I say this?

1) It puts off new guys (yes, more than normal vo). Now, not only can they not score with a shot, they can't score with a volley either. O' joy of joys!

2) Way too predictable. When they have no choice but to pass it kinda gets obvious what your opponent is going to do.

3) Way too buggy for prime time.

4) It's very boring. All goals are the same and it's too easy for keepers.

I thank you.
Onge

Post by Onge »

1) I'd argue constant egoing puts off newbies more. Deathball is a team game after all.

2) Predictable perhaps. But it surely encourages you to think of new ways to go about scoring.

3) True. The only reason I see for making the server regular VO again.

4) Too easy for keepers? Now they have half a chance. Being stuck in goal is longer the condemnation it once was. I don't see how lower scores and better teamplay is boring.
EsorcismoNJD

Post by EsorcismoNJD »

Fully agree with The_One... it's WAY too predictable and thinking of new ways to score is difficult when you have the only other offense player being hounded by 3 guys. That's just not gonna happen.
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

OK, now my point of view.
I started playing DB about 3 weeks ago. I launched the game and lokked through the servers and found 'Juice 3on3 VO' server. When I joined it was a bit confusing how volley only works. But after some minutes I figured out how to score. To my mind it was a really good limitation because I thought, scoring with only shooting into the goal is quite easy. I spend a lot of time in improving my passes and volleys.
I never played on a 5vs5 server with no VO.
I had had always a lot of fun when playing DB and it got never boring. Ideed it was sometime annoying when there was someone who shoots only ego goals but I think this is okay.

But this 'No Self Volley' shit is a way more annoying. The game is so boring that I dislike plaing it now. In addition the only german server ( I'm from Germany; sry for my english :) ) is Juice one. So there is no alternative for me to play with my prefered settings.

As I already said it was okay for me to shoot volley only goals. But if I imagine back and would have played on a 'No self volley' server, maybe I woulln't have continued playing DB. To my mind it's harder for a newcomer.

I talked to several other people an they had the same opinion.

So please change it back to 'volley only'! I miss the fun I always had.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Onge wrote: 1) I'd argue constant egoing puts off newbies more. Deathball is a team game after all.
No it doesn't. Most new guys are so overwhelmed by a tight vo game that I doubt they'd even notice.
2) Predictable perhaps. But it surely encourages you to think of new ways to go about scoring.

See Eso's post.

3) True. The only reason I see for making the server regular VO again.

Or better yet, reg 5v5. :)

4) Too easy for keepers? Now they have half a chance. Being stuck in goal is longer the condemnation it once was. I don't see how lower scores and better teamplay is boring.

Now they have half a chance? I must be alone in finding it easy to keep in vo games then... All the keeper has to do now is go after the open player and they can't score.

I agree that lower scoring and more teamplay can be fun. Unfortunately no self-volley saps all the fun back out.

I commend you for trying out something new on the server but it really doesn't work for low player numbers.
Onge

Post by Onge »

The_One wrote: Or better yet, reg 5v5. :)
That's looking very likely as I think the 5v5 Juice public server has gone for good. If I get that confirmed then the 3v3 server will be no more and we won't need to argue over no self-volley goals anymore... \o/
satomaso

Post by satomaso »

On my opinion, the no self volley thing would work great on big maps like cube, Echo etc., to avoid ego trips and encourage teamplay.

There are some 3vs3 severs that only host small maps like wasteland & sc and there it just does not work, like some people say, it´s boring/predictable.

Sometimes you play 2vs1 , while the solo player can do self volleys, the 2 teammates from the oponent team need to come close to other goal to be able to score and therefore leave their own goal wide open. It´s just a piece of cake for the solo guy to score then with a self volley.

I want self volley back on 3vs3 servers .
::Pfffff::

just my 2 cents,
SATO
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

Please no 5vs5 server. There are not enough people for playing a 5vs5 match. Before you set up NSV the server was always full but other servers with 10 slots are always empty.
Please switch it back.