I think

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

hiausd

I think

Post by hiausd »

You know I haven't played db in a really long time but I've always thought this. This is just my personal db philosophy, so don't attack me it's open for debate :p

The passiveness of the keeper has historically turned people off from flocking to it like offense, mid, whatever. This is due to the fact that, in addition to having to stay at the goal the whole game, keepers have virtually only one way to save anything (being to catch it). I think that makes the position quite monotonous to the wider group of people who want a more active game.

If keepers had a better a chance at volleying the ball away and volleying became a viable option, the keeper position would become much more fun because people would actually get to do something more active than just moving around. Davidm has always been against this because he thinks 'shots will always bounce back,' but I think it would just let the offense take better shots and make the game more competitive. I'm not sure, but I think davidm said a long time ago that the keeper volley is a little nerfed compared to normal volleys...which means that the keeper will incoherently miss volleys that everyone else can hit.

Also, I think with better volleying(just low powered to knock the ball away), although the keeper position becomes easier, it becomes more skill-oriented. With just dodging I'd say about 30-40% of saving a goal is making a good guess, and 60-70% is good reaction time.

Pros:
Offense more talented in long-run
Lower scoring games, thus mroe competition
Keeper position more fun/active
More people want to play keeper position, creating more balance w/ other positions

Cons:
Keeping is easier
Offense is sad :(
Last edited by hiausd on 12-01-2005 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Onge

Post by Onge »

I certainly believe that DB would be a better mod with more people wanting to play keeper, but DavidM states that with a good defence, keepers have a god chance of saving each shot. This is indeed true, but too few players want to play defence, and too few attackers are disciplined enough to take their defensive responsibilities seriously. The upshot of this is - too many poor high scoring games which only puts off newbies choosing to play sweep or keeper...
hiausd

Post by hiausd »

Onge wrote: but DavidM states that with a good defence, keepers have a god chance of saving each shot.

As a defensive player in DB prime I know that this is true, but regardless I believe that ideally the keeper should be able to hit balls away without catching it. It doesn't make sense that the keeper should have worse volley range than everyone else. There would be no balance issue in allowing this, this game has already become heavily offense-sided:

Euro scores:
DEUS 21-2 gKo°
3dg rekloV´s Roughnecks 10-4 Adults Ownly
all star$ 1-21 Angels of Vengeance
Species.cY 15-8 Black
eVolution 23-3 The Enigma Zone Crew
Adults Ownly 15-5 dominating Hamsters!
gKo° 8-13 CeB
DEUS 7-5 3dg rekloV´s Roughnecks
^Same with NADBL

Offense Pros:
Offense naturally knows what its doing with the ball before defense does (Whoever has the ball knows what they're going to do, Only uncoordinated offenses don't...defense just reacts to offensive moves
)
Offense has banana and assorted tricks
Offense can both shoot and volley
Most groups use more players on offense than defense

Cons:
The killbox
Defender volley range

It just doesn't make sense that keepers can't hit the ball, as if they're overpowered.. when both the scores and the nature of the game lean very heavily towards offense.
Fragger

Post by Fragger »

hiausd ye i know, but davidm doesnt like keepers :). Just play on dbl3, u can save anything or most of the volleys ;)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Actually I'm saying that the keeper needs to be a player as well. He's gotta be super active, coming out....he just needs to know the limits....and all need to pull on the same string.....building up boost packages in midfield with the keeper...so he can get back fast etc etc

The main job ain't the saving. I'm really a crap keeper when I'm standing on the line, but I've done great defense with others, and they didn't even get chances to shoot on my goal.
My keeper philosophy is far more advanced than any keeper I know does it...
but I gave up with all my gameplay philosophies because people seriously seem to be too selfish or too ignorant for this stuff, I dunno...

I'm not having much fun with this 1-1-3 pickup shit. No fun all being ignorant and limited. ("I added a ffs!") No evolution, nothing...
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

Every now and then you break new boundaries in arrogance...
Congratulations. In one statement you've insulted pretty much the whole community :p

:lol:
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I'm saying that I think that not a single keeper/team does what could be done, not trying new things :)
live with it
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

it'll be difficult but i'll try

:rollseyes:
EsorcismoNJD

Post by EsorcismoNJD »

Congratulations. In one statement you've insulted pretty much the whole community

Meh, I take it from whence it comes
Last edited by EsorcismoNJD on 13-01-2005 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
nameless

Post by nameless »

plz read 2.4 plan postings, There s a huge discussion bout keepers. Still waiting for a new comment of davidm there :)
Fragger

Post by Fragger »

DavidM wrote: Actually I'm saying that the keeper needs to be a player as well. He's gotta be super active, coming out....he just needs to know the limits....and all need to pull on the same string.....building up boost packages in midfield with the keeper...so he can get back fast etc etc

The main job ain't the saving. I'm really a crap keeper when I'm standing on the line, but I've done great defense with others, and they didn't even get chances to shoot on my goal.
but I gave up with all my gameplay philosophies because people seriously seem to be too selfish or too ignorant for this stuff, I dunno...

I'm not having much fun with this 1-1-3 pickup shit. No fun all being ignorant and limited. ("I added a ffs!") No evolution, nothing...

I always do that
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

When it comes to gameplay philosophies, DavidM is the best player in the world.
When it comes to actually playing the game, well...
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

DavidM wrote: Actually I'm saying that the keeper needs to be a player as well. He's gotta be super active, coming out....he just needs to know the limits....and all need to pull on the same string.....building up boost packages in midfield with the keeper...so he can get back fast etc etc

We need wall dodge! \o/
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

ye, back in the days we had 2-2 scores! :/
CorDawg-

Post by CorDawg- »

yes we want wall dodge back!