Format for next season

All about Death Ball Leagues and Tournaments

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Wibble

Format for next season

Post by Wibble »

Hi all,

I know this is a long time away, but I wanted to test the water on our ideas for next seasons format.

The current idea is to split the teams into two divisions, one higher and one lower. This should prevent to many mis-matches in terms of skill.
  1. a) The first question is how we divide the teams up, as this may affect how important the difference between 3rd and 4th is for example. Current thinking is that 3 out of the 4 teams who enter the play offs go up. The team going down to be decided by a game between the losers of the two play off quarter finals (no pressure in that game then ;) )

b) The second question is how we deail with any new teams that want to come into the second season. If we place them all in the second division there could be mismatches, but if we use our judgement it could be unfair on other teams

c) The final question is how we do promotions and relegations
    [/list=1]

Your thoughts on these issues would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Wibbs
Mongeh

Post by Mongeh »

for new comers to the league, do as old dbl used to, start a laddery/league system where they play till new season

not sure how they'd then get moved up,
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

one thing should be a definate - do not make definate decisions because who knows how many teams will be left after this league? maybe more maybe less.

if that made sense
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

I think it did :)

We don't intend on making any final decisions until much closer to the beginning of the next season. As I said, this is really just to gather peoples thoughts on any issues and ideas for the format
[3dg|rr]NiARb

Post by [3dg|rr]NiARb »

suggestion: limit the goal difference

We saw huge goal differences this season. More than 30 goals. I think, these results falsify the league.

So I suggest for next season, to limit the goal difference to 10 goals. If the final score is 30-5, assess the game just with 15-5.

Why this issue?

1st) Some teams break up during season. With the loss of concentration and motivation they suddenly permit a lot of goals. This "lucky chance" can give your team a winning margin in goal difference not to catch up for your opponents.

2nd) I hold gko in high esteem. After some heavy defeats they continue playing.

We played them yesterday. Already after some minutes it was obvious that we will win this game. But with the 34-2 of 18+ in mind, we decided to play absolutely concentrated till the end.

I think, neither for gko nor for us, it was a real funny game. Shame on our ambition to recover the lead in omega.

If you dont condemn our ambition, you will understand my plea to limit the goal difference. This would suppress the need to win such games as high as possible.

3rd) The varieties in goal difference would be smaller. Tighter league standings und a better opportunitiy to catch up a handicap.

I hate it to write in English :eek:
Last edited by [3dg|rr]NiARb on 11-02-2005 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

[3dg|rr]NiARb wrote: suggestion: limit the goal difference
I hate it to write in English :eek:

its not bad \o/ or at least, I understood it all :p

Im not sure about the idea though, I mean its pretty unfair on Team A if: Team A defeated Team C 34-4 and Team B defeated Team C 14-4 and both come out with 14-4 o: ? (Thats if I understood your idea afterall...)

edit: im not sure where I was going with that, but I had a good point before I lost myself >:
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

Hopefully, by re-arranging the teams into two divisions at different skill levels we'll be able to avoid the kind of result you are talking about from happening.

I really want to avoid artificially limiting goal differences if at all possible, but I will keep an open mind

Wibbs