27%
If you add it I will leave Deathball
40%

Total votes: 15

Esorcismo
Banned

Commentary Add-On

Post by Esorcismo »

I would be willing to assist with the coding and script (what is said) of this idea if i knew the basics (i.e. positioning of players and whatnot) but is there any interest at all in writing code that will display (or even speak if someone can get around to it, maybe myself who knows...) some type of in-game commentary? This is mainly an idea for down the road, but just something interesting to think about.

Relevant replies only, please let's keep this one on-topic too. Thanks.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Might be cool. You could always ask Ruumis, he's got experience with this kinda thing.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

sounds horrid imo. in game commentary has been crap on all games so far, it's dammed to be turned off. i claim it cant be done properly with an AI
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Hey, PES 3's commentry is great for a laugh ;)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

agreed. most commentry sucks. occassionally they can be funny. but only because its so crap.
Rino

Post by Rino »

DavidM wrote: sounds horrid imo. in game commentary has been crap on all games so far, it's dammed to be turned off. i claim it cant be done properly with an AI

Agreed

Look and an ownage game like PES3 . The commentary if for vomit....
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

Well commentary usually does suck in games but that's when I notice it's done in a very subpar fashion. EA Sports continually does a shitty job with the NHL series (hire decent commentators and not the jackass from Vancouver...) but I think if done properly it could be done well... as far as AI, it could certainly work... just could go by items such as score and player coordinates and such... it's a difficult idea to implement, if anything maybe it's possible for another mutator should I learn how to reference such items (that's where you could come in Cata!). We'll see, again just a thought.

For example (very generic code, obviously not true UnrealScript)

if (MaxBluePlayer.YCoordinate > MaxRedPlayer.YCoordinate && MaxRedPlayer.HasBall) Then Play "RedBreakaway.wav"

I dunno, Catalyst wanna help me with this one? If anything you could probably use it, go NBA Street style or something for some funny shit.

Edit: When has a soccer game EVER had good commentary... they always do half-ass jobs with that stuff...
Last edited by Esorcismo on 08-09-2004 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
CorDawg
Banned

Post by CorDawg »

it would be "neat" but extremely annoying, you can only hear the same words being said so often
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

just let the thread die :|
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

Well I would attempt to incorporate a large variety... ever listen to Doc Emrick do play-by-play (he does the Devils of the NHL)? That's the style I'd be going for and no one gets bored of his play-by-play (at least no one that knows something about hockey)
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

DavidM wrote: just let the thread die :|

Yeah true, serves me right for trying to do something decent for this community and the closed-minded administration
The_One

Post by The_One »

I've often thought about this idea, I like it.
Esorcismo
Banned

Post by Esorcismo »

If there is a group of people that would like to assist me in development of said idea I'd be willing to work with a group and get lots of input and establish a full-fledged project out of it... need the support though cause I can't do this all on my own

PM if you wish to help... I could use people for the following:

Coding
Determining appropriate situation for appropriate piece of commentary
Voice-over for providing commentary
People to assist in writing of pieces of commentary including all variations thereof
Last edited by Esorcismo on 08-09-2004 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

I think it'd be better for a laugh than actually being useful ;) UT2004's text-to-speech is perfect for that \o/
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you want 300 mb more for a commentary which WILL be shit?

just LET IT DIE