Lets welcome the thousands of new players!

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

moby323

Lets welcome the thousands of new players!

Post by moby323 »

When the new UT edition is released later this month that will include deathball on it, no doubt we will have tens of thousands of new people trying deathball.
Not only because of the people who buy the version, but also because it will be available for DL to all those who already own UT.

Everyone who gets this pack will try deathball at least once- and I think we in the community should do the best we can to welcome the new players.

This means for example, some of you should scale back on the noob bashing in the games- screaming at them when they make stupid mistake or accidentaly shoot it in a volley-only game. And no complaining about how the new players are ruining the game.

I'm also sure there will be alot of simple questions asked in these forums and in the UT forums, so be patient and try to help if you can.

It might also be a good idea to highlight the noob guide again on the front page, so the new players know what they are doing- I know it helped me alot. Also maybe the server setup guide by imag.

If people have fun the first time they play DB, they will probably get hooked like I did. If you love deathball like me you should be happy that the community will soon expand- many new players and servers. We should do our best to try and make these players feel welcome and not act like a bunch of counter-strike players.

Thats my 2 cents.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

Agreed, but it's all been said before.

The 'real' community is very friendly to noobs most of the time, but there's always some rotten apples on pubs who spoil it.
BlackFlame

Post by BlackFlame »

too many locked servers for the community to grow much bigger
Maelstrom
Banned

Post by Maelstrom »

^
speedy

Post by speedy »

people will start servers though ;p
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

Everyone better start making binds to explain what boosting is, what a sweeper does and my personal favourite... IF YOU SPAWN AS KEEPER, STAY THERE FFS!

can't wait!
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

which version comes with it again? 2.1?
fro

Post by fro »

2.1d i presume.. else all the new players will be on 2.1, and we'll be on 2.1z or something :)
The_One

Post by The_One »

It will be plain old 2.1 afaik.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

well it could be worse.... eg 2.1b
moby323

Post by moby323 »

Just hope the news on the front page has all the info they need in a simple idiot proof layout i.e. "If you installed deathball from the UT bonus pack, THIS is the file you need to update to the latest version.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

we'll try to conform 2.1 with 2.2
moby323

Post by moby323 »

R3L!K wrote: Everyone better start making binds to explain what boosting is, what a sweeper does and my personal favourite... IF YOU SPAWN AS KEEPER, STAY THERE FFS!

can't wait!

That not a bad idea, except you shouldnt be screaming at them like your second quote- just explain it to them "The normal deathball etiquette is that if you spawn as keeper, you stay as keeper unless a teammate takes over for you. Evernyone has to play keeper sometimes."

"Hit your teammate in the back when he is running towards the ball- this makes him move faster and is called 'boosting' "

Im gonna make binds like this. Hell, even some people that have been playing deathball for months need to learn that, lol.
Rino

Post by Rino »

I think we should now really organize something on irc , like a DBAccademy. This could be the Deathball resurrection, if we have some cup and a DBL page working, like the old bazzi one, i'm sure new players will be attracted more...
Well... dunno if is there already, but put a REadme file or something that force beginner to use irc and join our channels :)
speedy

Post by speedy »

you could force them to view a matinee about boosting and keeping and stuff.