Veteran Players & Jukey, Video ; EVERYONE has to play ke

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

moby323

Veteran Players & Jukey, Video ; EVERYONE has to play ke

Post by moby323 »

Call me crazy but my thinking is that in a public server like BuD everyone should take turns being keeper. I just played for 2 hours and at least 75% of the time I was keeper, because whenever someone else spawned as keeper they would leave it until i came back to stop a shot, or finally spawned as keeper myself.

Then I commented to that player Pukey/Jukey (he's real good, always in there) that I have played like 30 rounds with him and he has never once been keeper for one possesion. His response was that, so, he doesnt play keeper, because he sucks at it.

WTF, he doesnt have to play keeper so he can cherry pick the entire game, while some poor noob gets stuck with it every time? Like that "Baller" is doing a much better job than he would...
Besides, its no fun to play keeper over and over especially when all you do is get disgraced by these veterans offensive all stars who think they don't have to play keeper.

So anyways I say to him, thats BS everyone has to play keeper, but then that other guy Video (Who actually changed his name earlier to "Video- not Keeper") said, no if you are a better sweeper then you can always play sweeper to help your team win.

I'm sorry but this is BS, and what's more it is a common attitude among ALOT of veteran deathball players- several others like Fo|Patch (who is a nice guy) and other good players in clans etc. never play keeper- no wonder they are great offensive players- it's all they practice!

I think the truth is these veteran players dont want to play keeper because it is HARD, because they cant handle the frustration of getting worked over by an awesome shot, and basically don't have the balls.

Don't get me wrong, many players like Imaginos and Whimp and Intel play more than their fair share of keeper, but it just disgusts me that among the veteran players there is not a more fair attitude about sharing the burden of keeper.
Last edited by moby323 on 23-06-2004 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
n00bs_own_Madogg

Post by n00bs_own_Madogg »

"Call me crazy but my thinking is that in a public server like BuD everyone should take turns being keeper. I just played for 2 hours and at least 75% of the time I was keeper, because whenever someone else spawned as keeper they would leave it until i came back to stop a shot, or finally spawned as keeper myself"

ditto. Although im A51's keeper (hrhr) I do like to play out of goals in pubs now and then. but usually find myself in defence because the rest of the team are ball chasing or stood at the other end of the pitch waiting for usually me or the other one decent player who understands the spawn-in-goals-stay idea, to pass to them (and usually then they go on ego trips to try and score -_-)

As for the "veterans" .... most good players I know :) understand that and have no problem going keep for one round. But then again, not many of these players play in publics, but rather pickups (and I dont blame them)

But at the end of the day... tis just a game :/ ... tis just a pub ... and if you want team play, join a pickup on irc :)
moby323

Post by moby323 »

Well if by pickups you mean all these passworded games I see... this game is never going to spread if that is our main option.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

I know this isnt a fun way to play and there are enough people that play keep when they spawn there. Our solution to this is teaching new players a lot about the db game (including staying keep).

We try to do this by going to pubs at random times and asking beginners if they need help getting to know the game. Also if you want help and you cant find any1 online that will help you, download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com and read the instructions to install. then select the quakenet server and join channel #dbcommunity. There is almost always some1 there to help you. Also http://www.db-community.com for information.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

LOL!

I have to say I agree with ya. In game, it's a little hard to type up a sermon about sharing the burden for homeland (goal) defense, so I'm happy to see this is a common thought.

Yes. More often than I would like to hear, there's someone that spawned in keeper that at least had the sense to stay there uses SAY to announce how much they suck at keep and are pleading for someone to come let them out. The truth is, if they suck that bad, they NEED to spend more time keeping or they will never get the experience.

When I hear someone in game whining about keeping, I usually borrow my reply from the Dad in the old 'Calvin and Hobbes' comics: "It builds character." And it does. Keeper watches the plays develop and if he is smart about using his radar, he can see where people are vs where they should be. When he is attacked, he sees the offense come in against his defense (if there is any) and hopefully gains a new appreciation for any of the guys that don't immediately bolt for the far end of the field when the ball spawns. He might also notice how effective Teh Boost is and that could drive him to master and employ that skill in future games. In short, keeping helps round a player out so they get a taste of responsibility for more positions - yes, there's actually player positions ;) - instead of just non-boosting ballchaser.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

If someone refuses to keep then they don't want their team to win. Sometimes I will spend the remainder of the match boosting around that asshole non stop. Don't let him get the ball, then see if he wants to keep.
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

Imaginos wrote: The truth is, if they suck that bad, they NEED to spend more time keeping or they will never get the experience.

true, ive been keeping the last few games too, because i've attacked for a year :/
n00bs_own_Madogg

Post by n00bs_own_Madogg »

"There is almost always some1 there to help you"

lol, and if not, you could highlight me (A51-Madogg usually) and ask if id like to be owned one game :) rofl
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

I sorries, I am sometimes guilty of this. if i'm not high on nyquil (i've been sick for the last week! wtf!) I will stay in keep as long as I have to. Typically when our team scores I run out of net hoping not to spawn again. or if they score on me and I get the ball. a lil cheat which might come in handy is you can move in celebration mode if you shoot the ball.

but yeah. I will agree it sucks playing alot of the time in Net. I personally think people should do what I do. play keep as long as it makes you keep and don't complain, when your team scores or you get free of net before the next round starts thats fine. but a big problem is those people who don't stay in keep when they spawn.

don't make it your responsibility to take over keep if someone else leaves. its only a game. if you lose fine. i'd be sure to atleast say "GG <name who left keep> stay in keep if you spawn keep." atleast if they're new they will get the picture they're not helping the team by abandonning their post.

w00t!
Streaker

true that. but whats worse....

Post by Streaker »

true that. but whats worse....

is not only do these kind of people refuse to play keeper, they talk crap towards and insult the ones who are trying their best at playing goalie since no one else would step in.

Streaker
CorDawg
Banned

Post by CorDawg »

Fooman wrote: If someone refuses to keep then they don't want their team to win. Sometimes I will spend the remainder of the match boosting around that asshole non stop. Don't let him get the ball, then see if he wants to keep.

bitch you stole that from me, but i mostly do it to cherrypickers who would do ANYTHING to not boost back
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

CorDawg wrote: bitch you stole that from me, but i mostly do it to cherrypickers who would do ANYTHING to not boost back
I was doing that in 1.0 k?k :P <3
Jukey

Post by Jukey »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Inphidel
I will stay in keep as long as I have to. Typically when our team scores I run out of net hoping not to spawn again. or if they score on me and I get the ball. a lil cheat which might come in handy is you can move in celebration mode if you shoot the ball.

but yeah. I will agree it sucks playing alot of the time in Net. I personally think people should do what I do. play keep as long as it makes you keep and don't complain, when your team scores or you get free of net before the next round starts thats fine. but a big problem is those people who don't stay in keep when they spawn.

^^ what he said
Messy

Post by Messy »

Then why didn't you play keep Jukey? ¬_¬

Anyway, gg oldest complaint ever ;p it's just common sense to stay though /o\

I don't mind if a newbie doesn't know and leaves without thinking about it, but when someone does it because "I'm an attacker" or "I suck at keep", that's bs.

A bad keeper is better than no keeper.
CeeBeeUK

Post by CeeBeeUK »

LOL

I have have had a bind since 1.3
Spawn in goal stay there

Now I remember why I don't play so much.
:noob: