Attention New DB Players

Find teams, find players, arrange matches...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Fooman

Attention New DB Players

Post by Fooman »

I just thought I would impart some wisdom on you players new to the game and looking to improve your skills. Deathball is based on teamplay more than any other game I know of. It's important to have a good team around you if you want to win. So if you want to play DB for a long time and want to get better I suggest starting your own DB Team of other new players like yourself. I did this with 2 other guys almost 2 years ago and over time Team RusH has become a top notch team. As an added bonus, I've also made many friends in the team and in the DB community abroad.

--------
Here are some tips on starting and running a DB team.

1. Get people with good attitudes. This is the most important step, make sure everyone checks their egos and get rid of troublemakers. They could be the best DB player, but if they have a bad attitude you should pass them over.
2. Hold tryouts or scout potential members. Although its not essential that your teammates be awesome to begin with, make sure they have the capacity and dedication to learn. Dedicated players are very valuable to a team.
3. Practice in pubs(public servers) or pugs(pick up games). This will help you get better as an individual player, which in turn will help your team. Don't get discouraged if someone bitches at you in a pub or pug, shrug it off and try to fix the mistake.
4. Scrimmage other DB teams. Scrimmaging other teams greatly improves your team's skill and cohesion. You may also learn tricks from other teams in scrims. It may take you a while to get to the level of some of the veteran teams, but if you scrim enough you will get there eventually.
5. Watch other players/teams. I highly suggest new players do this. Watch what some of the veterans do and try to emulate them. Study where they position themselves, how they boost, and everything else they do. Veterans have played for a long time and know all the ins and outs of the game.
6. Specialize at a certain position. It may be a good idea to have each team member specialize to a certain position on the field, wheather it be a keeper, defender, or forward.
7. Learn all positions. Over time your team members should learn how to play each position. It really gives you a good perspective on how and what other players may be doing.
8. Communicate strategy. Some teams use voice chat during matches, which may be of help. After the match or scrim, talk about where team members or the team as a whole can improve, but don't place blame when it isn't necessary.
9. Be sure to specify what continent your team is on and only get players in that continent. Overseas pings are a bitch in DB.
10. Get on IRC. IRC is where other deathballers hang out, talk DB, talk trash, and set up scrims and matches. Make sure your team has your own irc channel and hang out in the community channels.

---------------------
Follow those tips and your team should be pwning before you can say ggdavidm.

Summary: The hardest part of running a team is getting started. Find 5-6 players with good attitudes who want to join a team and take the initiative.

If you need help or want some insight contact members of RusH, NS, or UFO if you are in North America. Euros contact veteran Euro teams. (someone help me on which Euro teams want to help)
Last edited by Fooman on 04-06-2004 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

Your sig lies Foo :P

Yeah good tips but we should really wait until there's a stable version of 2k4 then there should be an outburst of clans coming into DB.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

"2.0 final is supposed to come out on sunday" - M
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

Everything is always delayed.

Plus I'll bet they haven't fixed most of the lag issues that most people have been having...

I just hope that it's worth my download :P
Leto

Post by Leto »

What Foo said.

And yeah, I'm not going to play 2k4 till the final is ready.
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

^^And if the final sucks I'll wait for 2.1 :P
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

Oh and wtleto posting on forums! :O!

=0!

Screw edit button too lazy \o/
Leto

Post by Leto »

:o