DB 2.0 server issues

Problems setting up a server and other server related things

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Imaginos

DB 2.0 client/server issues UPDATED WITH FIXES!

Post by Imaginos »

Working on a way to run multiple mods with the server using the mod subfolders.

(Pending further testing) : Current workaround is to add deathball to a server in the traditional way or to a ut2004\deathball folder and employ the below workaround to edit the server's ini to make sure that all content is recognized. DO NOT run the server with the -MOD switch. There is no benefit to doing so on the server. If the paths are recognized and there are no conflicts in content, mods can easily co-exist.

_____
Need to find some resolution to servers pushing to clients that have DeathBall installed to the normal folders on servers using the "deathball" folder and vice versa.

(Workaround) : I have tried several different combos and the only time a client was pushed deathball content was when the client has deathball installed to a ut2004\deathball folder and they DID NOT start the game with either deathball.cmd or "ut2004.exe -mod=deathball.." This was the only scenerio where the client did not see the local deathball content. To fix that, you can edit the ut2004.ini file. Inserting the following will add the extra paths and the deathball content will be found.

Code: Select all

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=../Save
CachePath=../Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
CacheRecordPath=../System/*.ucl
MusicPath=../Music
SpeechPath=../Speech
Paths=../System/*.u
Paths=../Maps/*.ut2
Paths=../Textures/*.utx
Paths=../Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Music/*.umx
Paths=../StaticMeshes/*.usx
Paths=../Animations/*.ukx
Paths=../Saves/*.uvx
;====== inserted section begins here
Paths=../Deathball/System/*.u
Paths=../Deathball/Maps/*.ut2
Paths=../Deathball/Music/*.ogg
Paths=../Deathball/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../Deathball/StaticMeshes/*.usx
Paths=../Deathball/Textures/*.utx
;====== inserted section ends here
;ut2004.ini continues....

_____
Unexplainable server crash on startup - Linux and windows. Also - the infamous "Your CD Key is invalid.." problem on clients.

(Fix) After working a bit on trying to solve Agent0007's server crashing, I managed to (i think) duplicate his problem. The immediate crashes stem from what I believe is an incomplete deathball.ini file that was built from a corrupt or non-existant default.ini file in ut2004\system. Anyway, let's fix it.

1.) Get this file and unzip it to your ..\ut2004\system directory. This ensures that you have the right base files that will be used to rebuild your deathball ini files successfully.

2.) In your ..ut2004\Deathball\system directory delete the deathball.ini and deathballuser.ini files - just like the TV guys have been telling everyone to do.

3.) Clients: Start Deathball with the play_deathball.cmd and all will be well.
Server admins: If the multi-mod stuff way above didn't apply and you're running a dedicated deathball-only server, go ahead and use the suggested server startup commandline: "ucc server DB-Cube?game=Deathball.DB_Deathball -MOD=Deathball -ini=deathball.ini ... etc" It should start and all will be well there too.

Game on guys.. Hope these helped.
Last edited by Imaginos on 21-04-2004 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Bumped for update.. (and great justice)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Thanks Imaginos, will pimp that on db.net.
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

why not pin it for a while?
Agent0007

Webadmin

Post by Agent0007 »

Thanks again Imaginos, I've got my server up and running using these tips, but have one problem left: Deathball does not show up as a selectable gametype in webadmin. Any ideas?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

where it says "get this file" in imaginos first post...
the deathball.ucl file in there needs to be put into your servers /ut2004/system folder
then it works
Agent0007

Post by Agent0007 »

Well, not for me. When I install the file Imaginos posted, the server crashes when the first player joins. Without the file, it runs OK, but the gametype doesn't show up in webadmin.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Yes, after a little reflection, the server will run w/o the ucl file, true. But as you found out, webadmin needs it so it's a recognized gametype. On your home system try this (even better if you can make your server do it!):

ucc exportcache Deathball.u

take the resulting Deathball.ucl and upload that to your server's ..ut2004/system folder. Stop and restart your server. You should again see it in webadmin and test to see if players can join it ok.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

The .ucl file should really be distributed with DB itself (take note, david, jero). It's like the .ints used to be - just run 'ucc exportcache Deathball.u' in the system folder and it does it for you (like imag said). ucls for maps and things are generated automatically, but with gametypes and such you can never be sure.
Agent0007

Post by Agent0007 »

Thanks man, that did the trick! Generating the .ucl file on the server works, but it gets written to $HOME/.ut2004/System every time because the -nohomedir switch doesn't seem to work. Moving the file to UT2004/System is all that's needed.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

yeah next time i'll deliver the ucl's
wondering if epic fixes that shit in their patch
Last edited by DavidM on 26-04-2004 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Agent0007: Sweet! I knew it was that file from the symptoms.

Butt: LOL!

Nice of ya to think I'm the one working hardest on this, but like David says, you're giving me some undue credit there.. I'd sum up my deathball affiliation as pimp/troubleshooter/admin.. and if Epic would bless UT2Vote with the same ability as it's own voting so we can appear as a "standard server" I'd be happy.

/me puts on his lobbying shoes..
HaZeRDuZ

Post by HaZeRDuZ »

alright so im trying to put this on my server but cant seem to get it working. Can someone help?
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Of course. What seems to be the problem?
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Putting the paths in the Ut2004 ini file also allow the editor to find the deathball files and run the "play map" feature.

Note: Start the editor via the command line: C:\UT2004\System\UnrealEd.exe -mod=deathball "C" being the drive UT2004 is installed to.

Note#2: All I get is the spectator mode via the "play map". I don't know why yet.