Is there any news about the HUD?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Diab

Is there any news about the HUD?

Post by Diab »

I did see it back in the betas and all that but i have to say the hud is AWFUL.

i guess you had alot of posts like this already but a little ago i posted somewhere (forgot what topic) that i would help with it, it anoys me that the games coming along realy well and then we got this nasty hud that looks like the metal was some 2d ps filter with some bad shade added to it, its proberly not but thats how i see it.

as an example, i sat here for the last 40 minutes in paintshop pro with a screenshot of of deathball with no hud, i added my own:

(note, not near done, font is just a filler for ingame stuff and all that)

http://www.mooglecavern.com/nakiti/DeathballHUD1.jpg

if wanted, i would keep working on this, send davidm the images in large quality format or whatever sizes he needs and get rid of that lame new hud we got atm!

dont take me too harsh, i just dislike it when "its original, its cool" comes to play and if its not the original hud, its counter as cool dispise how it looks.

bit of feedback would be nice, thanks.

:lol:
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

small hud > large hud

^ small hud is larger than large hud ^
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I like the new HUD. :)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

hm, i made some radar graphics by myself, very simple stuff, here i put the whole hud via photoshop on a screenshot
what do you think?
Last edited by DavidM on 19-04-2004 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Diab

Post by Diab »

that is lovely, it matches the corner radar and is simple.

might try something like that myself, more ideas are always good no? =)
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

I like simplistic. davidm has the right idea. we're not in the cockpit of some airplane. why make it look like that. the less the better. the more of the playing we can see. :) tho i'd say even more simpler. take like 50 pixels of fthe top of the screen and line everything up there

[ RED: 0 Blue: 0 ] - [ Att:0 / Def:0 ] - [ Health: 100 ] - [ Jumps: 3 ] ect?
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

I think the numbers are still to stylized for my tastes, looks like you are trying to hard to have it be cool
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

I'm getting so sick of theberkin8or not liking ANYTHING. Not liking 1 thing oké, but to criticise every-fucking-thing gets kind of annoying.
priior

Post by priior »

i would put the tiem and the scores together... froma design poin of view.. dont want the eyes to go all over the place to look for information.

as for the health.. that is excellent.. tho the "cross" isnt really useful information.. id make that smaller.. so that the 100 stands out better.

also.. now that we're talking about design.. what is the point of the "Yellow" beacon markers? green means he cant die with 1 shot.. red means he can.. whats the yellow for? (i understand it;s neat to put a transition colour.. but is there a pragmatic use for it?)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Diab wrote: that is lovely, it matches the corner radar and is simple.

might try something like that myself, more ideas are always good no? =)

you can create your own set (in dds format with alpha channels and power of 2 measures) and we might be putting it in, so players can choose from several huds
Diab

Post by Diab »

only problem for me is that i have no idea how to construct up those files as a psp user. of course i can ship it (or them if you want a cockpit :P) to someone who could pack them for me.

i dont want to brag though :/, its everyones choice but i am working on a much more simple look right now.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

why not have the health meter not even have a number at all. just green and yellow or green and red. when its going to take 2 hits it turns green. one yellow/or red
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

but its filling up 1 in 1.5 seconds or so (omg i forgot the value :D)
you need to see in how many seconds you have 60+ again
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

diab, i use adobe illustrator and photoshop for the rest, works good

here i have attached the empty pic, only radar and middle radar, so you can build your radar concepts on top of that one:
Diab

Post by Diab »

Just a quick idea on the "simple hud" method, its nice but i still prefer a little detail for a hud. anyway: