Water

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

kewangji

Post by kewangji »

Gooooooooo NASA!
Isil

Post by Isil »

David, I just bought a Nikon FM2 manual focus.

(sarah, here are the pictures again for you. You know I like you)

Very content with it so far! Only cost me a 150 euros, secondhand and in top condition :) (came with a 50mm/1.8 lens)
Last edited by Isil on 01-08-2006 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

so hateful :<

you lot with your fancy cameras !!! :P
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

hm, yeah just non-digital photography is a pain in the ass xD
Isil

Post by Isil »

DavidM wrote: hm, yeah just non-digital photography is a pain in the ass xD

That's a prejudice, perhaps you think it is a pain in the ass. Some people might like that process. :)

It's more a matter of what you prefer, I just love the feeling that film photography has. Next month I'm buying a negative scanner to make the development phase as cheap as possible.

The camera feels great, it's solid and I could throw it out my window and it would still survive (try that with your pentax ;)). The exposure meter is highly reliable, one of the main qualities of the FM2. It's got all the basic function (dof preview, extended shutter speeds and asa, self timer etc), no fancy stuff.

Here's an article on it http://www.bythom.com/fm2n.htm

I really love his site, great independant reviews. Much better quality than http://www.kenrockwell.com.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

i dont just mean the cost and the time, i couldnt even produce something good, if i dont see the result right away, which I need to adjust all settings, to get a really good one. after years of experience, i dont need that anymore and i know my settings right away, but until then....pain in the ass :P
kewangji

Post by kewangji »

David, aren't you in space by now?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

sir?
Isil

Post by Isil »

I read you there. I had an analogue point and shoot for a while, often half of my developed films were blurry, over/underexposured etc. With the SLR it's different though, I'm in full control of exposure, shuttertime and apparture which resulted in a nice first roll of film.

It feels so different from my digital compact, I wonder how a digital SLR would feel.
xiller8r

Post by xiller8r »

Like sex on a rollercoaster
Isil

Post by Isil »

First picture with the fm2. It's Sam, my youngest brother. (scanned from print >_<, fuji superia 400, b/w + canvas with ps)

Last edited by Isil on 03-08-2006 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
xiller8r

Post by xiller8r »

nice :)
Isil

Post by Isil »

Thanks! I do think the right part of his face is a little too dark. Aw well ;P
xiller8r

Post by xiller8r »

Well this thread has urged me to go out and buy a camera, as photography is something ive always wanted to get into and enjoy and i've never owned a camera (aside from on my phone!).

So i've started small and been out and bought a Sony Cybershot dsc-t9. It's 6mp, small enough to fit into my pocket and only cost me 250 pounds so it should be adequate enough to use for a while and see if I enjoy taking photos :)

Link below for anyone who wants to tell me whats wrong with it and what I should consider changing for a new camera in the future. I went for a sony because I can use the memory from my psp in it, got a couple of 2gig cards.

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct. ... ll+Cameras
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

-well, at first stop caring about "megapixels"
they don't matter. anything above 2mp (1600x1200) is just fine :P

-what matters to me is a good sensitivity:
an ISO up to 1600 or 3200 (so you can also produce good pics in poorly lit rooms, without using the flash; I avoid the flash at any cost. flash always looks so ugly)
the one on your camera is 640 maximum. dunno, my old one had max 800...and that sucked bad. you had to use too big exposure times in NORMAL lit rooms, so it was all blurred :/
so it would only take really good pics when its all very very bright.

-also a manual focus option would be nice. it so annoying me on my old camera, that I could only focus on a certain object with lots of tricks. auto focus always tries to get something in the middle etc...

(-ignore cameras that have a digital zoom. they are just made to fool stupid people around, not to take good pics :P)

-good macro performance.
my old cam needs minimum 7cm distance to the object. that sucks.
yours seems to only need 8cm.

your camera has some special magnifying glass mode, that only needs 1cm. i dunno what that is. maybe some digital-zoom-hack.
use it and try putting it right on your monitor and take a pic of that. i would be interested in what it produces

my very first camera only needed 1cm for macro. that fucking rocked! :o

-low shutter lag (1/10 second) is important
-low "time until first pic after turning camera on" time (it sucks if it takes 4-5 seconds :o), mine has 1 second, that rules

-a manual shooting mode where you can set iso, exposure, aperture, white balance and all that manually (some don't have that, it's unbelievable)

http://www.steves-digicams.com
best digicam review site. it covers ALL stupid tiny little details about all cameras.
Last edited by DavidM on 04-08-2006 10:13, edited 1 time in total.