A Music thread

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Serendipity wrote: David, have you heard of Michael Bublé? He's from Canada, and has become pretty popular recently with his versions of classic swing songs. I think he has a pretty impressive voice.

Ya, and that's exactly what I said what I don't like.....this pseudo-sinatra swing....
boring stuff like buble, robbie williams, paul anka etc...that's swing in boring

neoswing is the way to go
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Okay. I like those you mentioned as well (God bless the Blues Brothers ;) ), but sometimes I go with the flow, too... isn't some of the stuff you listen to pretty close to Ska (I'm really moving on dangerous ground here though...)? Then I think I understand the difference you are talking about...
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Garg,

you're not totally alone. I've got Boards of Canada and Air CDs along with New Order, Timo Maas, Chemical Brothers, Xpress-2, Luke Slater, Moloko, Basement Jaxx, Goldfrapp and Ian Van Dahl. More mainstream than dance scene I admit!

Like lots of other music as well such as Radiohead, Doves, Van Morrison, Beth Orton, Kate Bush, Bjork, Zero 7, Mary Chapin Carpenter, EBTG, Garbage, The Who etc.

I also like classical music esp. Beethoven, Sibelius and Shostakovich (*awaits flames*).
Springer

Post by Springer »

Ah, Wayfarer, thanks goodness there is another classical listener here too. :p
You can't beat those you mentioned, you have good taste. :)
Jay2k1
Administrator

Post by Jay2k1 »

BTW, i love "The Sacrifice" of Michael Nyman's "The Piano". But i dont listen to any classical music - the only orchestra i listen to is the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra playing with Metallica on the S&M record :)
jooly

Post by jooly »

You know, I was listening to Around The Fur by the Deftones today for the first time in about a year. I'd forgotten the goosebumps that album gives me!
Keri

Post by Keri »

My favourite music... hmm.. lately I've been stuck in the 80's. I've been listening to Mötley Crüe, Guns'N'Roses and Hanoi Rocks. (Hanoi Rocks is playing on my cd-player as I type)

I'm a rock-chick really.. I listen to Finnish rock mostly these days. Bands called Negative, Bloodpit, Private Line, Entwine and 69 Eyes for example.

One of my favourite artists for a long time has been Robbie Williams and no matter what I'll always like him.
Jay2k1
Administrator

Post by Jay2k1 »

I definately have to get some Massive Attack and Deftones records.
HelenKiller

Post by HelenKiller »

<------------ Slipknot

And I love My Chemical Romance. Guns 'N Roses kick ass, also. I pretty much like like everything. I love Mos Def, The Roots, Outkast, and Jurassic 5. I like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy now, too. I love Death Cab For Cutie, Muse, The Killers, and The Mars Volta.

I hate country.
fastpitchgirl501

Post by fastpitchgirl501 »

slipknots ok a lil bit too heavy 4 me on a regular day tho.but wen im pist...........awsum cd has any 1 here heard of Hawthorne Heights?????? its a brand new band and they just joined the warped tour (which im trying despretly to get tickets too) same with my chemical romance and sugarcult and stuff like that wen im happy i like fast paced music so i listen to hip hop and r&b too like 50 cent a lil bit of eminem missy elliot etc. etc.

fastpitchgirl501
jooly

Post by jooly »

Hey, J5! very good. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a mid-90s nu-metal stereotype. Except that I'm also a big fan of Queen.
anonymous!

Post by anonymous! »

I walk the line between total snobby elitist and completely open-minded and non-assuming. I listen to everything, no matter the period in time, what's being said, how it sounds, on and on. I tend to appreaciate music more if thought is put behind it, and/or if the artist treats as an actual art.

Trying to list my favourites would take too long, and I'd be coming back to add more every few minutes. Trying to list the artists I listen to the most would take too long. I'm the annoying person who always screams "That's [name of song]!!" at commercials, TV shows, movies, etc.

At the bottom of my preferred sounds/genres/whatever would be emo, metal, and...I'd call it "hick" country music but it sounds like a putdown. But I think everyone knows what I mean when I say that. This is not to say I won't listen to those types of music, just that I listen to them the least, or just plain don't like them that much and it would probably take a lot for me to get into an artist in those categories.

PS, fastpitch, HH: tried, didn't like, and none of those artists you named belong in the hip-hop category. But that's a whole new rant altogether. ;)
fastpitchgirl501

Post by fastpitchgirl501 »

to appreciate HH u kinda have to b like a cross between a metal head and a indie rocker.........kinda. yeah that kinda makes sense....:lol:

fastpitchgirl501
elvisyo

Post by elvisyo »

Oh, Garg, reading through your list again I see Dan the automator! I loved his two projects with Damon Albarn (the Gorilaz) and especially with Mike Patton (Loveage - Music to make love to your old lady by).

Btw, if you'll listen to Beatles hits, listed alphabetically, you'll get lots of notpron hints... :lol:
anonymous!

Post by anonymous! »

Yeah, loving the Beatles not only helped me solve some levels, but also kept me interested in the game.

Dan the Automator + what'shisname from Glassjaw did an all right project (Head Automatica) but the songs start to sound the same in one go. It's good if you break it up.