Shake or no shake?

Yes.
81%
No.
19%

Total votes: 53

Armagon

Post by Armagon »

also i agree with Berk, taking away the charge sound so only the keeper can hear it would help the O get a few more good shots off.
I hope this was sarcasm.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

Stu I got half way through that arrogant post and stopped reading it. Aus has what.... 3 teams? NA at one point had... like 30 teams? To say that we have had a bigger pool to choose from and a larger lot of players is an understatement. Your "all-star" game is nothing more than a pickup game than we play 7 or 8 times a day. Nobody watched the "all-star" game cause nobody gives a shit and wants to see it basically.

While I may be an asshole to a few people in the community, I believe basically anyone in NA will vouch for these "skills" I seem to not have. Your pointing the n00b stick at the wrong person here. Ive logged more hours into Deathball than you have probably spent playing any game ever combined. I know how the game works and I think its pretty lame that one up to 3 campers of the box can shut down all shots and volleys by camping.

And if you CAN shoot and volley against the opposing pbox d, then its either extremely long shots your taking, or the defense is horrible. Because if you camp the box correctly, NOBODY shoots or volleys in an even situation.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

I wanted an honest poll, instead I got flaming by all the "OMG WTF R U GAY OMG Y DO U NEED SHAKE DO U SUCK" idiots coming on here to post the opinion that nobody wants to see. Like I said in the original post, ive talked to a few people that had more fun playing without shake than they do now, and I wanted to see the opinion of the other players. Apparently.... thats illegal on these forums because some of the players are incompetant and have a need to whine at things they are afraid of. (I guess that doesnt apply to david [shit for dicks] m because at least he doesnt whine, he just brushes it off and says no)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I myself am an attacker. I always find ways to score, regardless of what the defense are doing. The main reason for this is that I try to be unpredictable. Along with the ability to make the shot, I have to take risks. This is a very important aspect of the skill developing process. If there is no risk, there is no gain. It is the same for a defender. They can either try to predict the attacker's planned course of action, and take a chance. Or they can just sit there camping in the P box, the not-so-skillful method of defending.

Not everyone needs to put in s**tloads of play time into DB to get good at it (though admittedly I do because I enjoy it so much). Stu plays only about 3 hours a week. Yet he is still one of the best defenders that the aussie community has to offer. He takes the necessary risks, and in most cases his efforts pay off.

It's about, developing your own style and approach the the game. I'm a risk-taker. Consequentially, I miss just as many shots, as I score. Some would prefer taking the easier, less risky approach. For example, P box camping. As much as people hate it, it is a perfectly legitimate tactic that works for a lot of defenders. For defenders like Stu, taking more risk and succeeding is a much more gratifying experience.

What it depends on more than anything else, is the individual player. I play for fun more than to win.
If I'm enjoying a game, then I need nothing more.
Last edited by Armagon on 17-08-2003 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

so Armagon, whats a "perfectly legitimate" cheap tactic for offense?

Dribbling, no that got axed... boost goals, dammit, thats gone too... hmm, maybe we could just try shooting. ah fuck, now we got shakes, deflects, interceptions, and getting killed put into the equation.

Right now our equivalent to pbox camping is that boost up move which is getting nerfed also. When is shake getting nerfed? never. When is the defensive hammer going back down to its original, less spammy size? Never.

Armagon, you said Stu is one o fthe best defenders and plays 3 hours a week. If offenders that play 30 hours a week cant score against him, then thats not skill, thats easy.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Ever heard of passing? Dodging? Crosses? Any of these words ringing a bell? I have been forced to develop new tactics that I never would have thought of, if I hadn't been forced to. I score just as many goals now, as I used to back in the days of 1.4b.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

hey Armagon, i respect that you still find ways to score but you have to understand were this arguement is coming from. I am not sure how he has stood the test of time (as i have not played against him in months...sone to be fixed :)) but X is one of the most creative hardest to defend players in the NA community and judging from v3's success against euro teams probably in the DB world. If he can't score a one defender v Keeper than pretty nobody else is going to be having much success, and then add 2 more defenders into the equation... and the odds of any normal player scoring against a decently playing D is not too high.

but that really isn't the point:

the point isn't "I play O i want to score more." It is about fun, it is not fun to have to volley the ball all the time to score... it is not fun to have worked a great team play only to get stoped by a lone defender whom you have little to no chance of geting by becuase he can hear you the second you start to charge up. If the game is unbalance towards one end of said game then that game will ultimatly become unfun for both sides of the equation ( and judging from the number of defenders that are now either playing O or have quit it is probably even less fun for the side that has it too easy).

That being said removing shake is over kill, trust me d will be plenty more challeging (thus more rewarding) if it isn't simply a matter of waiting to hear a charge sound then runing forward and hiting the shooter. It would force more man to man D with still the ablity to play zone d if you read how the O is going to play.... hey wait that sounds like a real sport.... hum i wonder why that is ;)
vF_Zonk

Post by vF_Zonk »

Xelent wrote: Your "all-star" game is nothing more than a pickup game than we play 7 or 8 times a day.
Not really, it's just your way of thinking.......looking at other countries play always makes them suck. I played a few pick-ups, and me + Cirian were absolutely sure that we would be owning with low ping. So one of us must be wrong...... The all-star match wasn't really the best skilled match anyway. Meh, i can't be bothered arguing. It's a very "sad" argument - 'our country is better than yours at DB'...who cares?

ok, let's see........

I'm not trying to flame, or create flame bait, but here's what would happen if shake was removed:
- Unless keeper is pretty decent, 2 vs 1 (1 being the attacker) would always/usually result in a score from the 1
- People would do more "n00b goals" (just running straight in and taking a random shot - especially if sprint is on)
- People would pass much less, cos there wouldn't be as much need......so there would be a lot more ball hogging
- People would be forced to camp in Pbox more
- There would be endless whinging on this forum

So if shake was removed, a completely new rule would have to be introduced to make 2vs1 harder for the attacker.......and people always complain about new rules anyway........so i don't think DavidM is gonna bother (espeically with the results of this poll)

Although i've never played without shake, i'm rather sure i would hate it.......as would many many many other people. If it's that important, maybe shake could be LESSENED a bit.....but i think it's good the way it is

Another suggestion was to make it so only keepers hear ball charge.....I kinda disagree..........BUT! Maybe it would work if keeper always hears ball charges, but players only hear it within a certain volume radius (eg. the one in 1.7)
Last edited by vF_Zonk on 17-08-2003 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Deacan Sharp

Post by Deacan Sharp »

i agree with everything except what the n00b australians said
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

Although i've never played without shake, i'm rather sure i would hate it.......as would many many many other people. If it's that important, maybe shake could be LESSENED a bit.....but i think it's good the way it is

Its the people that HAVE played without shake, and realize how much DIFFERENT of a game Deathball is without it, and makes things a little more even for both sides. To make a sports analogy, im not sure how familiar you are with american sports, but in team situations there are many times where one person does break through and score against 2v1, double coverage, etc. (especially in our basketball, football etc)

As it is right now, it feels like any great attacker will have a VERY hard time to get a shot off on a good pbox camper (which many of you have said "pbox campers dont have to be good defenders they just camp")

The point wasnt to make higher scoring games or create more shots. Its to make the skillless defense that just walks you back to the pbox actually do some work to stop you rather than relying on a single noise to interrupt your shot. Id say with proper teaching from maybe 2 people, you could take a n00b from the pubs and teach him how to play "pbox" defense in maybe a couple hours. And thats about all youd need to stall until your team boosts back to the box as well.
Alars

Post by Alars »

Xelent - you are the definition of wanker.

to refute your arguement about having more DB players than Australia: What is the Population of US again?

291,815,604 last count....

What's the Population of Australia? ermm around 19 - 20 million....

do the math - we have about 5 clans atm and had 10ish when you had 30.....

We have the higher ratio.

so stfu.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

Its not about ratio its about players. We have, and have had, more. Your ratio of population to players playing a game means... nothing.
Alars

Post by Alars »

however, i do agree with your last post.

i propose that defense is one-hit-kill in its own pbox as well.

think about it.... where is the downside?... if a player supporting the carrier comes up to the enemy pbox, the supporting guy can either sit there and wait for a pass - or clear the defense out for the carrier (however, he is vulnerable to be splattered himself whilst doing this). If the defense is out-numbered - thats the defending teams fault. This will prevent pbox camping to some extent... and of course the keeper is not affected.... any thoughts?

only constructive critisism please

Alars
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

In a 2v2 (1 D + Keep), the offense should be able to score anyway. Having a player block the defense is a tactic that has come up because of camping and used when available. In that case, if the defense recognizes it, he fades back into an area where the offense cannot hit him without being gibbed, and they play two keepers. The O then has a shot against a double keep which isnt a great advantage. In the case that the d doesnt fade back you have an open shot after (hopefully) a good block.

Weve being doing that in matches for id say well over a month or 2 now. Its come to either a pass volley or blocking mostly, on almost all possessions.
InSaNe
Banned

Post by InSaNe »

Yeah I agree with what X said mostly, Surge also ( I know I know I'm stoned) but they have valid point. Bags quit playing Offense after 1.4b because the defense started having a better advantage. So he left to keep or defense. Shaking sucks end of story. You guys act as if a keeper can't save 1 on 1's. They can most of you people under estimate them. Keepers should be the only ones to hear charging sound so they can at LEAST stop 1 on 1's but leave the shake on. Defense shouldn't be able to hear nothing but bongs and taunts. I remember I was in trainingcourt and was learning how to play d, it was easy as fuck. Then X told me to play d without my hammer.... I got fucked, a n00b like me who rarely plays defense pwned one of the best offensive players ever... There's got to be a problem, that problem is shake. So DavidM should leave the shake on so only the keeper can hear the charge not the defender(s), making the charge sound lower does nothing, people can put up their sounds ya know..

I'm not gonna even talk about australian db. Like... They don't even play pickups in #dbpickup on QNet as far as I'm concerned.. Plus stus post are garbage and don't make one bit of sense, just vote yes to leave shake on and post here saying "yes leave it" or say No take it of and post saying "take it off" simple as taht, but no you must be arrogant and look into every mistake a persons making gj.