Should set-jumping be brought back?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 53

Harold|ZBN

Post by Harold|ZBN »

and whats worse, all new players just seem to concetrate all their efforts into learning how to volley. all i see noobs do is try and volley even if they can shoot in a goal. volley only sucks and its really messing up the noobs aswell.
Alars

Post by Alars »

you could always have another mut called "charged shots only"
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

after watching a cY replay we'll never get set jumping back. All they do is that stupid boost move from 1/2 ever fucking play, their defense is average at best and their keeper is what saves them 80% of the time.

If you want to see a real game come watch a ballers game on the NA servers some time. You won't see much of that BS here and if we do use something cheap we dont do it every fucking play.

And for what its worth, we've been using that since 1.4b cY, be original for fuck sakes.

The following are all cheap moves that were at one time used on NA servers but we dont cause they wreck the game:

1) Rocket volley (vollies exceeding 100m/s using a boost and a bounce, V3 invented it and used it for a little while)
2) Boost goal (the cY move, i saw it in a pub for the first time)
3) Bomb drop (variation of the cY move but a player is boosted at the back wall and hovers, L7 first used this i believe)
4) Catapult (boosting a player literally from 1 end of the field right to the other end, SoP invented it, never abused)
5) Sidewinder (its a side n00b cannon the goes in the shape of an upside-down 7 and literally goes around the defender but lands right on target)

there are others but 3/5 of those can be removed by putting set jumping back in.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

ok , I agree with you - VO is a retarded plague of DB, those who want to volly it only, fine do it. but don't force others to have to do that.

surge, i think many of those tactics are valid. anyhting within the games abilty should be fairplay. like i said before. its because of the maps we play are not designed with these tactics in mind that they seem cheap. put a \/\/\/\/\/\/ type wall behind the net, see how many people self volly then.

we need maps that are designed intelligently with this stuff in mind.

I just find all these arguments stupid. someone says everyone PBOX camps and can never score, next they say theres all these cheap moves and games are too high scoreing. make up your minds...

one fact is clear, pubs are empting out, why, because the learning curve is too much, we need to make dball easier to learn

I suggest a window that pops up before every match with a TIP or something.

"Help Team mates get back to your side of the field by using your shield gun to propell them down the field!"

"Use the Secondary Fire Button to Pass the ball, it will automaticly calculate where he is going."

"Hit opponents with your shield gun to move them out of the way and intercept his pass."

"When an enemy is in the goalie area, Use the shield gun to Kill him before he can score."

"When you spawn as the goalie be sure your ask someone else to take over if you can't play goalie."

"On most servers the mouse wheel is used to curve your shot by turning it as you charge the shot."

its simple enough right? I bet 2 cool could code this up in 5 seconds ;P
Diab

Post by Diab »

tips would be a great help, have it where once you join a game it says "click to start" or whatever to join, it could be text filling the screen with tip #28 or something.

i never knew the set pumping ever exsisted but then i got into db at 1.4. removing some of those moves like boosting your mate into the ball letting himself fly with the ball along the area should stay, its hard enough to manage it well and you need to drop the ball to do it, and to hover above the net can be fixed by your defence doing what they should. same goes with pbox campers if your defence is doing its right task they will always be marked.

pub games are alot different, to remove these methods just to make pubs better ruins clan matches in another form.
frostymoss

Post by frostymoss »

surge..."4) Catapult (boosting a player literally from 1 end of the field right to the other end, SoP invented it, never abused)" i really dont think sop invented that :| anyways i think anything in the game should be leagal. The point of the game is to win.
gnomeh

Post by gnomeh »

i think all those moves are legal surge, no matter how gay they are. All those moves have their weaknesses and if used right they won't occur very much.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

i didnt say they shouldn't be Gnomeh, i said we hardly, if ever, use them because they totally wreck the game. When a single tactic is an easy goal every time and is virtually un-stoppable or un-preventable then it shouldn't be in the game. They took dribble out and you couldnt even use that to score ffs. *rolls eyes*
hiausd

Post by hiausd »

One thing I agree with surge is cross-field boosting. I use it because it's there, but I don't agree with it. It's pretty stupid that I can boost 3 people across the field in seconds as well as the other team boosting their guys right to me. All that it does is create offensive/defensive hordes because everyone just boosts each other to where the ball is. The only reason that this happens is because of the free jump. It's what makes the game sloppy. Every offensive attack becomes 3O vs 3D because people will just boost back and forth if the ball moves. Quite ridiculous.
Last edited by hiausd on 29-05-2003 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

maybe if jumping only works if you are under a certain velocity. it would stop boosting and promote simple movement...
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

...and wouldnt let keepers jump while dodging, wouldnt let you abuse the enemy team bumping you up or down field, and would force us all to use sprint which just bogs my comps down worse and worse.

also it'll never happen, cY's too completely reliant on the boost goal.
Bodom

Post by Bodom »

Solution is to bring back dribbling, and make maps with angled walls behind the goals (Carrier kinda, not that extreme tho).

Dribbling was a skill that could be mastered, and has yet to be challenged in this way by any aspect of DB. Great dribblers could use it to beat the defense and even get into the pbox for a good shot. With dribbling, the chance to take a shot becomes much greater with skill which reduces the dependency on volleying.

Angled walls make volleying a skill, because to do any kind of self volley you have to predict where the ball is going to go and get your ass there.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Bodom wrote: Solution is to bring back dribbling, and make maps with angled walls behind the goals (Carrier kinda, not that extreme tho).

Dribbling was a skill that could be mastered, and has yet to be challenged in this way by any aspect of DB. Great dribblers could use it to beat the defense and even get into the pbox for a good shot. With dribbling, the chance to take a shot becomes much greater with skill which reduces the dependency on volleying.

Angled walls make volleying a skill, because to do any kind of self volley you have to predict where the ball is going to go and get your ass there.

Dribbling exploits the ability to hurt the person who is carrying the ball.. and defeats the point of the ball carrier moving at a slower pase so he can't simply side step defenders, promoting passing and play making then ball hogging.

Vollying isn't that horrible a problem as the VO thing is. angled walls may simple confuse the goalie even more. unless they're angled upward so the ball goes up instead of back to the shooter or antoher shooter waiting. if you want to slow self vollys, make the self volly power less, like as if you were vollying an enemys shot. this might promote people vollying it to team mates then themselves because i'm sure everyone will yell at him cuz he keeps messing up good scoring oppurtunities hehe.
Bodom

Post by Bodom »

What about dribbling where the speed after shooting the ball is much much faster than it is now, but just slightly below full speed. That would allow for defenders to catch up, but if a defender got beaten really really badly, the ball carrier would keep his advantage that he earned.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

go play DB-U.. those walls were perfect for setting up vollies for 2 reasons:

1) they were slanted so not every n00b could do it

and

2) there were certain levels on the walls you could hit to give you a nice jump height volley.

about dribbling: Infedel what are you talking about? If the defensmans out of position you should be able to run past his stupid ass cause hes out of position. Right now you cant and are forced to dump it back or try to bounce it off the back wall back to yourself. Unfortunetally keeps are getting 4 jump again so it will be impossible. This games too fuggin forgiving to defenders.