Pickup enhancer

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

HerbalTea

Post by HerbalTea »

and maybe if you added statistics back into Deathball for 1.9 and later versions you might be able to auto track the results and scores of each play and have your "ranking" data base autodated with accurate and fair data, instead of your personal opinion.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

I like this idea in theory too, but I think it has some fundamental flaws.

First of all, its going to require a lot of work for whoever maintains it. And the fact that there is an inherent bias is going to cause inevitable arguments. Its probably a good idea to keep the scoring secret.

Secondly I've noticed that people do have good days and bad days so its difficult to tell how effective your system will be. Also, some people play better depending on who they play with. Example, clan mates.

Although I like the idea and hope you can make it work I have doubts. I think in the long run having captains who pick teams might work better.

But good luck tho! :)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

Herbal, although using stats is in some ways helpful for judging stats, (eg keeper saves ratio) I don't think its a realistic indicator of someones ability.

Interceptions alone do not dictate how good a defender you are. Nor goals scored determine if you are a good offensive player. Its circumstantial evidence at best.

Personal knowledge is naturally the best. Besides that, Stats can be faked.
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

public votes are crap and you'd rather get a chart of popularity than skill... and rens, you can't just take a list of dbl players and let ppl vote, there is no way to associate the dbl-nick with their qauth... also i'll never make the values anywhere viewable to anyone as this would just result in conflicts and skill begg0rs...

for now we'll stick to the system that only i can change the values (with some support by david) but probably i'll code something that will allow ops to set values or vote for it

and btw, there still will be some random elements in the algorithm so 2 pickups with the same players won't get the same teams, but still it should be balanced, more or less.

also i might add a new parameter / command that allows the pickupadmin to choose between old and new system, but for now this has low priority, and i want to see first how the new algorithm works

about this captain pick teams: has been suggested long time ago, might be implanted some time as option, but atm i'm not bored enough to code it -.-
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

just a suggestion, probably unworkable because most DB players are too infantile:

after each pickup game the pickup bot asks each player for their rating on the other players in the game. It maybe turn into a slight popularity contest but in theory it would be private. And since everyone is rating each other, it may actually even out.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

ya relik, that sounds good....but might suck too
if you didn't really pay attention to certain players you just enter a random number, or different players value stuff too differently, it might just fuck all up
The_One

Post by The_One »

add an option for don't know.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

but why click "dont know" if I can give a bad mark for a hated person? :/

i'm affraid this wont work at all
CorDawg
Banned

Post by CorDawg »

The keeper picking teams, like NA pugbot is prolly still the best idea out there.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

its too hard to understand, too time consuming, too confusing

i dunno
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

HerbalTea wrote:
/hmm, end mini-rant, not sure why so much rage come out....

yeah, it didnt really felt good when i came out of u, yet i liked it when i was in :lol:
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

R3L!K wrote: just a suggestion, probably unworkable because most DB players are too infantile:

after each pickup game the pickup bot asks each player for their rating on the other players in the game. It maybe turn into a slight popularity contest but in theory it would be private. And since everyone is rating each other, it may actually even out.

sometimes i have to go after a pickup and cba with voting then
i might just do 1
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

This has got to be the funniest and most scene-splitting idea you could have ever come up with. Voice only games sank like a lead balloon. This will go down like a hooker in a Bankok brothel.
Dazlin

Post by Dazlin »

i havent see nthis thread before..... and before i post is it new or old? :) some people will play crap some days and awsome on other days, but i supose it should give the pickup a bit more fairness o//

Edit: what are the rating 1-10? :o

what would i get /o\
Last edited by Dazlin on 19-09-2003 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Axl

Post by Axl »

R3L!K wrote: just a suggestion, probably unworkable because most DB players are too infantile:

hehe i was gunna suggest that idea :)