DB-RotatorCube

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

We want more! We want more! We want more!
heh...well, gimme a new version :( (ps: make it look better :p)
UnrealKrake

Ideas please :(

Post by UnrealKrake »

MeSSiaH{FCU} wrote: ...well, gimme a new version :( (ps: make it look better :p)

Ok guys, long time no news, so i just wanted to add a quicky :-P

Status REPORT:
V0.4 (not released yet):
- some player's had problems with the Telescreen, fixed ...
- rearranged some teleporters
- removed many clipping holes
- getting the cube rotating (texrotators are used)

Here is a newer pic

I need help, because i have no idea how to make the map looking better atm. I tried a lot of things, but in fact, either it looked ugly or it causes clipping bugs or extrem fps slow downs. Maybe you could help me by giving me some inspirations :P I would be very thankful :)

So far ...

Krake
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

I already like the new change at the floors, looks good cause if i've got it right u can c some of the machinery that's supposedly making the cube rotate there :D

Ill think about what u can add :o but currently i have no idea :(
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

Just wanted to show you that "rotatorcube" can rotate :)

but i haven't got ideas to complete the map (cause in that state, looks a bit boring)

Watch it...

UPDATE: can't let all boarders rotate, because if i add a rotating part @ the middle wall (at the ballspawnpoint) it causes many flickering errors :(
_Axon_
Banned

Post by _Axon_ »

i loved this map nice one
dystoopia

Post by dystoopia »

I'm no programmer/mapper, but i have seen maps at friends houses with , how to say curclular gravitational fields (it was like a round window that you could walk the outside curvature of) Would it be possible to just set the inside of the play surface as a grav field, and maybe put an invisible barrier in the middle? (since you can' shoot the ball from the bottom to top anyhow). then to follow the character just make the camera rais a few degrees so it doesn't plumate into the gounrd. Just my thoughts (whether possible or not, or maybe already adressed under terms i'm unfamiliar with) lol
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

I would be very interested which map that is :)

Without coding, it is not possible to set a gravity point (as in Serious Sam e.g.) you only could do that with a lot of coding and/or mapping work.
Originally posted by jet2lag
hmm
i had nearly the same idea for a map but i didn't know how to rotate the actors :)

my idea was just to make a map like that:

------------------------------------ [Blue]

~~~~~ Gravity division ~~~~~~~

[Red]---------------------------------------

[] = goals
from the side view

Originally posted by UnrealKrake
I also thought of jet2lag's solution; it works on every client if u use this technique, BUT, if you look at the ceiling, you see the players glueing up there with their heads :)

So i used the "warpzone technique"

Advantage(s):
- players are shown the right way
- ball is behaving very "realistic"
- no need to construct any teleporters and/or gravity zones

Disadvantage(s):

- many many bugs e.g.
- (I) many many clipping errors
- (II) many many lightning errors (in particular static mesh lightning)
- (III) my so called "static mesh mirror bug"

- hard leveldesign cause of texturing any half.
- radar seems not to get working cause of (III)
- camera seems not to work correct because of not having the possibility to warp the camera track
- ball's "tail" bugges very often
- can't substract to many parts in the map cause of bug (III)

If i got you right, you want to create a map inside or outside a static item.

I attached a solution which can be done by using warp zones inside a wheel. If you want to walk outside, its much more work to do.

If this map you know is really created for UT2003, i just want to know how the creator got rid of the fact, that you only can use 3 warpzones in a row until a big clipping bug appears... he only could eliminate this by using custom scripts. If he coded a mutator which manipulates the gravity, that would revolutionize my Rotatorcube and would surely make it bugfree :). So if u know the name of the map, tell me *g*
dystoopia

Post by dystoopia »

yeah, i'll give him a ring and see if he still has it, and search around the net for it
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

Browsing official ATARI forums had shown me the way how to remove the stupid teleporter effects which causes lags and low frame rates :) I'm not a coder, but i was tough enough to remove two lines in the original teleporter code so that it seems to work without problems \o/. I will inform you how it will go on, but it could spend some time because nearly 400 teleporters must be replaced O_o

so far :lol:

Update: redid one half and it works very good. Even if you got stuck in one teleporter, it doesn't lag or decrease FPS :p

It seems that you will get a new beta soon =)

Update2: redid whole Teleporter system and it works :) (better than before ;)) It's not the way i liked at the beginning when started to create the map, but it's playable and no lags when swiching the boarder. Only a BetaTest with many players can show how playable it is. On my system (1800+, 1024 gig ram, 9600pro) it is about 30 - 50 frames. This low frame rate is caused of the fact, that the gamefield is loaded two times , even if only one is displayed (one field @ the real place, the other @ the fake postion). I have to test how many things (meshes and effects) i can add until the fps drops down under an acceptable rate :devil:

Only have to sort out some clipping issues connected with the rearrangement of the teleporters and than 0.4 will be out.
Last edited by UnrealKrake on 11-10-2003 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Messy

Post by Messy »

heh..keep up the good work :p
speedy

Post by speedy »

nicemap :p
Messy

Post by Messy »

O_o ur really going for the posts arent u speedy? ;p
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

DOWNLOAD BETA V0.5
DB-RotatorCube V0.5 (delete .lol extension)

Status REPORT:
V0.5 (see V0.4 but no crashing)
- had to rebuild the whole teleporting system in this cube because my UT always crashed when using my scripted "no-lag" teleporters (the spawn effect is deleted), hope they will work online (didn't had the chance to test them online).

Maybe some of you wanna test the improved map, so here is your chance...

Have phun.

P.S. Yepp, some guys have a flickering issue @ some walls (example in the attachment), hope i will get rid of it (it's caused of rearranging some parts of the map again O_o). It just appears in a special angel of view ...
Coffin

Post by Coffin »

Its still gonna be a new breed of map. Its worth waiting for
Messy

Post by Messy »

Thank god this map is still alive :)