World Cup 2006

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Which team is more likely to reach the final?

Korea Republic
2%
Argentina
7%
England
17%
Croatia
No votes
USA
No votes
Italy
5%
Cote d'Ivoire
2%
Ukraine
No votes
Paraguay
No votes
Germany
16%
Portugal
5%
Spain
No votes
Czech Republic
2%
Brazil
22%
Netherlands
12%
Japan
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Sweden
3%
France
No votes
Other (please precise which team in a post)
7%

Total votes: 58

Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Titanium wrote: predictions for the semis:

Germany - Italy (in Dortmund) [with me participating \oo//// \o/]

France - England (in Munich)

fuck sake- england ruined it for me :-<
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

For some fucked up reason i think Germany will be the champion
Messy

Post by Messy »

Needs more England <3 :(
The_One

Post by The_One »

I'd comment more on the England performance but I was so tense and excited before the match I went blind. England didn't really start playing until Rooney went off. No suprise we lost on penalties.

Zidane was immense for France. Hopefully Thuram won't suffer because of the yellow card. Brazil have been poor the whole World Cup. First decent team they meet and they go out. No surprise there.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

should be fun now.

Germany and Italy are teams that traditionally have a lot in common, not only they have the most titles amongst european teams, but they are known for a very strict football, where getting the victory is really what matters, it will be a very closed match, i think, not much spaces given by both teams, and i think that in the end it will go to the germans, but with italy you just cant risk anything. :)

portugal - france, well, unlike against the netherlands and england the stats dont work in our favour, but we have a score to settle with them. two times they have eliminated us from the european championships semi finals, will that happen again, or can we do something about it this time?

it will be very hard for portugal, thats for sure, hopefully the resting that Deco and Costinha had can pay off, but at the same time, we had a very exhausting overtime against england.

one thing is for sure, if we give the same space to zizou that brazil gave we are doomed, and i cant see how nuno valente can stop ribery, he was owned by Van Persie and now by Lennon, what chances does he have?

we need a superb exhibition against France to keep the dream alive, but we cant really claim more from the players than what they have already done, being the only team in the tournament that havent won it ever.
meep98324

Post by meep98324 »

I think France has looked the best so far in the elimination rounds, but I also picked all four of the teams that lost in the quarters to advance, so me throwing my support behind a team seems to be the kiss of death. :(

With that, hoping for a France-Germany final.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

i love zidane once again. bestest player ev0r!

its funny how pretty much everyone including me bet on france to win this match \o/
ole ole
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

Bad luck England, they came close but the pressure got to them.Was shocked to see Gerrard bottle his penalty. If he had held his nerve, i think we'd be through. Gerrard for Captain next time. Beckham dropped and Lennon should be permanently flying down the right flank.

Am not going to have a go at the referee, Rooney should have been sent off, but i think Lennon deserved a penalty. Most of the decisions were correct though.

Anyhoo good luck portugal in the semis.

I had tipped France for their game against Brazil too, but it needed the key players to lose their Zimmer frames and really start playing.

This is exactly what they did. Ronaldinho should have been taking notes. Zizou was sublime. Cool, effecient, understated and in a different class. If he carries on like that, and with Henri starting to find the net. France must be the favourites now.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

it's funny how England has been playing badly since the beginning of the tournament but managed to win, and then lost in the only game where they showed a very good (great?) performance :D

:(
well maybe it's not that "funny", but it's .. interesting anyway..
Last edited by slimshady on 02-07-2006 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
bloodeh

Post by bloodeh »

Yeah, it wasnt brilliant but it was the best match they shown and good. But thats england...
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

england ruined my dreams of glory and wealth. good job. :-\
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

It is interesting, but then again, without trying to sound arrogant or anything, England hadn't face a team as good as Portugal in the World Cup.

But i apreciated their exhibition a lot indeed, the game was tight in the first half, in the second half england had a good start, but when Rooney was sent off, that was really when England did an amazing job.

They eventually lost the control over the game, as it was inevitable down one men, but still they defended superbly, to the point we didnt get any real great chance, and in the offense they were dangerous whenever they got there. Sven made the right choices and the team showed a lot of heart, and totally deserved not to lose that game for sure.

They were much better than in 2004 confrontation between the same teams, for instance.
bloodeh

Post by bloodeh »

The match in 2004 between england and portugal was much better - it was awesome :D
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

Some good points here ^^

Yes it was the first time England were close to playing at their best and first time they have *had* to :)

Oh well win some lose some, I can see it being a Germany v Portugal final .... yet I just don't know ! It would make sense but this is football anything can happen :D
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Germany 1
Italy 3

-----------------------------------------------------

France 3
Portugal 0

my predictions.