DB-RotatorCube

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

Thanks for comments :-)

here are short answers..

@ Dazlin: Interesting thought of a small version :) Never thought of it cause don't know if gameplay will be as good as it was when i betatested the map with 4 players :-)

@ Twigstir: First of all i'm a lightning noob ;-) and i am on the same opinion that the lights are too strong, i will try to reduce it. The problem is that you must adjust the lightning in every zone on its own. It's not done by coping the lights from one zone to the others, cause they are of different size (i think you already know that)
Textures of the middle support will be changed. They are too bright and have a boring structure. I'm sure I find better ones.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Lighting is pain. I have a tip you may or may not already know. When I did PeacefulNightbeta, I used fire as a light source. I got the lighting to light the surounding walls/floor/ceiling just right with two lights. One for the general light of the area and one for the bright spot near the fire. The problem was a pillar was too dark compared to the walls. I used spotlights to solve the problem. I brightened up the pillar and made it look more natural without messing up the surrounding walls/floor/ceiling. I ended up using six lights (two normal - four spotlights) for each fire pot I used. So, you may find spotlights can help with lighting problems. Just a tip a learned.

Nice work so far on your map. I find it very interesting and can't wait to give it a try.
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

Ok guys a good news, but not the one i would like :(

I found a way to arrange the cube parts in one row so that radar partically works, that there are only very few clipping bugs and that the camera works nearly perfect. (The distances of the radar are correct but the ball height can't be set up correctly) :(

The Radar is the hardest thing to bare, but even if you think, i did it, you're wrong. There's a problem i did'n't think of: The radar is too big for HUD (more than 12000 UnrealUnits means that half of the screen is covered by the gamefield :P, cause i have to show the sides of the cube in a planar area for the optimal view on the radar) .

Check the screens if you can't understand what i mean (sorry for my sluggish english ;-P)

Frontview with radar
Radarview2
"Too big" for HUD I Think ;-P

Any solutions ??? I would be thankful...

:p UnrealKrake
Last edited by UnrealKrake on 01-08-2003 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

Ok one problem is solved. Beta Radar working now full...

New One: Balls peak (the green triangle over the ball) is not mirrored and so displayed @ the real positon of the map, not the mirrored one. But i think i will solve this too :-P

Frontview with BETA radar
Coffin

Post by Coffin »

Its looking very good when will you be releasing a public Beta version?
UnrealKrake

Not Fixable thing causes me to stop ...

Post by UnrealKrake »

Bad news:

Fixing one problem rises a new one.

The UT-Engine limits the idea of the Rotatorcube and causes me to stop my work. :(

Reason:
Problem with the HUD and the warpzones...

To All mappers who could help: here's a short structure of the map (editor shots included). All other ppl can go on @ Solutions (sorry for my bad english)

Every gaming area is a planar section (there are 3 of them, the blue and the red side and the middle boarder).

"Top-sideview of map"

"3Dview"

Because there's no possibility of setting gravity spots, warpzones (W) are used. W1 is the "roof" of red and blue section (linked), W2 is the border of red section, linked with a half of the middle section, W3 is border of blue section linked with other half of middle section.

"Warpzone scheme"

The (speech) bubbles shown up the players's heads and the triangle up the ball are NOT "warped". That means, that these icons are shown @ the position of the map the section is located, but not in the zone which is visible inside the cube.

Means: The icons show the attached targets behind the walls and not inside the cube:

"Ballpeak/playername bug"

Solutions could be:
1. Rearranging every zone so that you can hardly see the icons -> radar and cam won't work (bad idea)
2. client sided deactivation of the icons -> noone would do cause they are useful and also necessary and only for one single level activating and deactivating this icons would annoy anyone
3. Acceptance of this problem -> irritation of the player's ingame
4. stop the project cause of too many bugs

ATM i'm of the opinion that the last one is the best solution. Even if gameplay seems to work, there are too many bugs, most of them i got reduced, but this icon thing i can't.

Which solution would be the best ????

Help me please. I wanted to release a beta today, but cause of this fact, i can't.
LyNx

Post by LyNx »

sum1 help him out hes a star workin glike this i think that map looks cool :>
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

OMG DONT STOP >_________________<

IR N3333D IT

omg im having PMS >_<
Onge

Post by Onge »

Keep trying Krake. I'm sure you'll fix it.
UsAaR33

Re: Not Fixable thing causes me to stop ...

Post by UsAaR33 »

UnrealKrake wrote: Bad news:

Fixing one problem rises a new one.

The UT-Engine limits the idea of the Rotatorcube and causes me to stop my work. :(

No, it is not the engine limiting you. It is actually deathball's code base itself.

There really isn't anyway to fix it however. It is almost impossible for an unrealscript to be able to determine the location of an actor on camera (that is through warpzones, mirrorzones, whatever)

Sorry about that.

I'd recommend disabling beacons. A simple script can be made, if required.
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

DOWNLOAD BETA V0.2
DB-RotatorCube V0.2 (delete .lol extension)

If you think the icon bug sucks, click "configure radar" -> and deselct "beacon"

- I know the warpzone teleporting is bugged, but i'll fix it later...
- some teleporters are relinked wrong, that will be fixed too ;)
- forgot the blocking vol in blue goal :-P cause of not rebuilding :lol:
- two teleporters from red half are relinked with blue ones ;-P was a bit confused when i did that *sorry*
Last edited by UnrealKrake on 05-08-2003 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
bloodmaker

Post by bloodmaker »

strange :D
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

wow, lots of bugs, especially in the warp zone area, i got stuck there, and got frustrated that i ended up leaving the map.
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

DOWNLOAD BETA V0.3
DB-RotatorCube V0.3 (delete .lol extension)

If you think the icon bug sucks, click "configure radar" -> and deselct "beacon"

Status REPORT:
V0.3
- most of the teleporters now working (some are still bugged but you dont stuck so often as in 0.2)
- Fixed Blue Blocking volume
- made some High detail static meshes to increase FPS
- decreased Lightning just because of better orientation (set Dynamic lightning on, so you will see the ball better)
- beta botpathes added

NEW SHOT(s)
"View from the ball spawn point"
"Rotatorcube Sideview"
"Rotatorcube >Goal-boarder<"
"Just another one"
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

It's a very neat idea and you've spent a lot of time on this map. However, to be honest, the warp zones and layout gave me a headache. I don't think I would want to play a 20-30 minute match on this map.

Excellent idea, nice work. I don't think it will pan out. However, you have the knowledge and ability to make some great maps. Keep with it. I look forward to future maps from you.

For all the effort you put into this map I hope I'm wrong and it's just me. But, regradless you will be a better level designer from this expereince. I like the score board. Hope to see it in future maps. Best wishes.