MSUC Final Result In

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

/me forces every gamer on the world to play DB on day long :D

Dunno but im a little tired of every shooter, played ut and some 2k4 shooter mods. On DB i like the fact that you cant camp, hide, have no waiting time (ok at the start dont count!) and the fact that every1 got attention to the ballcarrier (mainly) and not everyone is playing for himself (gg grammar, english etc)

;)
Messy

Post by Messy »

Mr. Green thinks evil thoughts Kermy :(
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

DavidM wrote: and did the original stuff out there get anything for it? :)

I always thought money was something.
:-)

Post by :-) »

Money isn't important, fairness to keepers is. This is why I encourage you to donate the Pay Davey To Stop Stealing Saves From Keeps Fund. Every penny you donate will prevent one goal that was really saved.
Fragger

Post by Fragger »

DavidM wrote: db will go on, since its the most unique and fun game i've ever played :)

lies u barely play it
Messy

Post by Messy »

:-) wrote: Money isn't important, fairness to keepers is. This is why I encourage you to donate the Pay Davey To Stop Stealing Saves From Keeps Fund. Every penny you donate will prevent one goal that was really saved.

Stop wasting every thread with your quest for 'keeper-justice' so to speak.

It's going to be fixed, and you're going to have to wait.

Now shut up <8-( please?

edit:
Fragger wrote: lies u barely play it

Why do you think he created singleplayer? .o/
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

It wont be so unique when i install SourceBall :p
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

No, it'll become a copied-mod for another engine.
Tonnberry

Post by Tonnberry »

The MSUC is a perfect example of what the game industry is up to at the moment. And guys. It won't be getting any better.

With the start of Unreal Engine V3 you will have highly powerful engines on the market. You will have scenes that contain 1.000.000 polygons and even more. You will have super high resolution textures. And what does that lead to? Yes. You will have teams of 50 or people that work on a game. Steve Polge said they have a Programmer to Artist Ratio of 1:2 at the moment and with the new engines it will prolly be 1:3 or 1:4.

It's all becoming like hollywood. Games will costs maybe several million dollars to create. There will be no publisher buying a 1 million dollar engine to support your game, if it's nothing that will survive on the market.

And there is the problem. The publishers are just anxious people that don't give creative teams a chance. It's far more easier to do another sequel of a megaseller like UT2003, UT2004, Unreal Championship, Doom3, Half Life 2 and so on. You barely see any new ideas on the market, because large publishers won't support them.

There might be some small teams that have a cool idea, but they can't afford a good engine. So they have to build their own, which is just a damn lot of work. And in the end it won't look nearly as good as the Unreal Engine, because people worked on the UE for 8 years.

And that's prolly what made the MSUC judges to decide this way. Maybe the Epic judges vote for the more creaive mods. Or maybe even not. The winning mod is like a hudge advertisement for their engine. They want to show companies what can be easily done with the engine from amateurs. And they want to sell their goddamn engine. It's a profit oriented company. Even CliffyB said that once.

So it's no wonder that a uninspired WW2 shooter won the contest. It's maybe nicely done ( never play it ), but the idea is just boring as hell. I am not arguing for DB here. It's just sad that uninspired ripp off mods ( and maps too ) can win a contest which had a lot more potential...
"It is a WW2 setting, but it is a little different in that it concentrates on the Eastern front conflicts between the Soviet Union and Germany."
Ya thanks to hal from BU. That was the most ridiculous try to defend an uninspired boring mod idea. I just laughed my ass off. :rolleyes:
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

Toonberry lives! ;)

..and makes sense...
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Tonnberry wrote: You barely see any new ideas on the market, because large publishers won't support them.

There might be some small teams that have a cool idea, but they can't afford a good engine. So they have to build their own, which is just a damn lot of work. And in the end it won't look nearly as good as the Unreal Engine, because people worked on the UE for 8 years.

Which is why the indie games market has so much potential - games need not necessarily look good to play well. All the innovation comes from the indie scene. Except unlike the indie film scene there's not necessarily a need for publishers - the internet is a perfect platform to distribute your game. It won't attract so much attention from the general public perhaps, but there's still a large amount of people willing to develop, and there're free 3D engines that're beginning to seriously mature (Ogre3D, crystal space. okay so they're no Unreal but still usable).

The future will include hollywood style game studios but it's been going that way for a long time anyway, and platforms like phone games, or gameboy style handheld consoles have always been havens for indie developers.