My prediction on the effects of 1.9

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

cat i understand your arguement that it is possible i don't agree but i think pbox camping isn't fun as well as not fair... didn't like half the db community quit becuase of the effects of pbox camping (which caused ppl to use the broomstick)? seems like they did in NA... even some of your friends like 13 from sop.

even the majority of D don't like pbox camping... it is possible to score against (though you have to be either damn good or damn lucky) but db is more than just possiblity it is about FUN and pbox camping makes the game not fun
Croaker

Post by Croaker »

^true

Man to man d is a lot more interesting to do than pbox camping.

some could say pbox camping is like zone d in basket ball, but it's not true at all :(
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

pbox camping is a cheap trick, but it just makes the game less fun if you counter it with cheap tricks :( (which, like it or not, happens in euro games - people find a move that works and whore it to death). In NA it's a lot more balanced. But I have no idea what should be done about it because if you take a cheap move out of euro play it ruins the balance of NA play. Incidentally, i like both styles - you have to think a lot more in euro games but NA's more about speed and reflexes/quick decisions...
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

NA = pass and shooting, whereas

Euro = shot pass for volley....occasionally, you will see ppl shoot...
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

You've not played in many euro games with decent players have you? :). The thing is, NA's community is a lot more tight-knit and they know each other a lot better (how they play, etc), whereas the euro community is a lot larger and the skill levels are spread across a lot wider range. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop slagging the euro style of play off :eek: . And... I score most of my goals (as do AoV, which it may have escaped your notice are the best clan in euro-land) using straight shots... what does that tell you?
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

honestly i don't care how you fix pbox camping but fix it... imo if you are going to have abuses you should have abuses on the level of O not d cuz scoring is fun saving a shot with pbox camping isn't that fun

ps don't like X and fallen/bullet throw you off just talk to the nonattacking ppl (aka me :p)
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

theberkin8or wrote: honestly i don't care how you fix pbox camping but fix it... imo if you are going to have abuses you should have abuses on the level of O not d cuz scoring is fun saving a shot with pbox camping isn't that fun

You just highlighted the fundamental difference between europe and north america sports wise :). Americans love high-scoring games (basketball, football), whereas europeans prefer tighter, tenser games where scoring is rarer (soccer). Of course there's a lot of overlap but that's bascially what it boils down to :). DB's no different...
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

i love soccer... i really do BUT pboxing defending is so easy that how can you get any satifaction from it? where as scoring while not horribly hard with some abbusess is never without some level of skill.

beyond that db can never be soccer as i was talking to croaker about:

<{H}berk> i like soccer
<{H}berk> i like it a lot
<{H}berk> BUT
<{H}berk> db can never be like soccer
<{H}berk> there isn't the control to make it possible
<{H}berk> everything it is too big to be like soccer
<{H}berk> a keepers dodge, catch raduis, volley raduis
<{H}berk> just too big to have a game that plays like soccer
GoldenGun

Post by GoldenGun »

well im for the bigger goals...

most games have about10-20 Goals...
it would be much more exiting if it would be closer games
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Sorry to clout you over the head with this, but you're biased by the way the american community plays the game - a soccer style wouldn't suit that kind of game AT ALL. Whereas the euro style does work (we wouldn't have a community if it didn't...). And believe me, I've played both (less NA style than euro but I've played enough to get an idea of the style of play).

EDIT: and GG, close games can be 3-2 as well as 9-8 - and I find that there's a lot more satisfaction about scoring when you don't score as often :)
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

with soccer there is some much neuance (sorry for spelling) i don't see how you can compare the two... maybe it is the different in style but since you can't score from far out (as you can in soccer) i just don't see it... i will have to play some euro pugs if ppl are around... even though i H8 shot passes :x
DiStUrbeD

Post by DiStUrbeD »

i hate soccer games

sit around for a few hours to watch a 1-0 game with 45 minutes of passing?

yawn
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

that "cannot altfire to boosted players" thing can be dodged by using first fire, it just takes skill now.
actually i am just waiting for the day that all whore it with firstfire :)
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

NA doesn't use firstfire nearly as much as euro.. personaly i would like to keep it that way... this stil doesn't get rid of the problem of not being able to to pass to your own teammate when they are boosted by the other teams which is just plain not right imo
Onge

Post by Onge »

The changes won't encourage pbox camping...It's funny, I tend to stand on the edge of my area almost as if to play offside! I don't think removing an option that most teams think is too lame to use is a problem...And making the goals bigger is daft. The best games I've played in have been low scoring and close. That is DB at it's best...