Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

BurntLeaf
Banned

Post by BurntLeaf »

Shortnames on F1 suck :)
METAFrank

Post by METAFrank »

make the cant-pass-when-boosted thingy an option cause it would give 2on2s the rest -
or at best make a 2on2 setting without this and without non-locked passes slowing you down
(i can only judge for myself, but i would start playing again then)
Sqleaf

Post by Sqleaf »

Ermmm.... i don't know if I should comment without actually playing the new beta but i'll comment from the discussion happening here and in general to DavidM about skills.

To David:

It seems to me that you are making the job of the defender/sweeper easier. I know that most of the 'fun' for many people is in scoring sh** loads of goals. But I get the 'fun' part from stopping attackers from scoring sh** loads of goals. And stopping these so-called lame tactics is a skill I've had to learn and i don't see any problems with that. I can (and do) manage to defend allot of special moves that teams have created, and they are creative...... very creative.

If players find a trick to score a goal surly thats them showing initiative and skill to be able to pull them off. And me finding a way to stop them is my skill.

In real life, for example, you wouldn't say "Excuse me David Beckham, but we've added a rule that means you can no longer score directly from free-kicks"

Just because teams like ermm..... Wolves or Leeds are unable to do this dosn't mean others should be stopped to make a level playing field.

I supose what I'm saying is: Stop taking the skill out of the game. By removing the ability to perform skillfull moves you are removing alot of the fun parts from the game. Not only for the attackers but for defenders and goalies too.

Oh my, I forgot the goalies. Goalies are exactly the same as defenders i would guess. They need to adapt/improve there skill to save skill-shots... blah blah.

Anyway, I'd like to here the opinions of other sweepers/defenders and goalies on what I've said. I dunno if I am in the minority but that is my opinion.

my 2p :)
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

[1234]Jr wrote: The games 0-0 .. 2 seconds left, Red boost eachother, Red player is too high for anyone to hit him, he gets the ball via indirect pass and wacks in it...

totally fair..?:rolleyes:

Why were red being given the space to boost?

I'll add full comments on 1.9 when I get a chance to play it properly.
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

-plær- wrote: Why were red being given the space to boost?

I'll add full comments on 1.9 when I get a chance to play it properly.

so your saying you could stop the other 3 outfield players from boosting each other for the full duration of the match?

im fairly sure if i wanted to in a game, i would b able to get free from you numerous times and boost my teamm8 in the air
Onge

Post by Onge »

I think removing the possibility of lame whoring is a good thing. But I understand where Sqleaf is coming from: I enjoy anticipating such moves and trying to stop them. But it is very irratiting when it is impossible to stop an 'incoming flying lamer' so I welcome the move. It'll encourage attackers to come up with new skills, and then I'll have to come up with new ways to stop them!
Instigator

Post by Instigator »

Sqleaf wrote:

Oh my, I forgot the goalies. Goalies are exactly the same as defenders i would guess. They need to adapt/improve there skill to save skill-shots... blah blah.

how the hell is the keep supposed to save a 0.4 second shot when he has no clue on where it is going:eek:
Sqleaf

Post by Sqleaf »

Sycophant wrote: It'll encourage attackers to come up with new skills, and then I'll have to come up with new ways to stop them!

Indeed, that is true. But if these new skills are seen as laming or un-defendable they are likly to be stopped too.

Having more than one skill is a skill in itself.
Originally posted by Insti
how the hell is the keep supposed to save a 0.4 second shot when he has no clue on where it is going?

Do you mean a high shot? Well why isn't he looking at the ball?
Last edited by Sqleaf on 28-10-2003 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

I'm too tired to read each post fully, however, is the no pass to boosted player working both ways? Meaning, if the defender hits the attacker in the air, can he still recieve a pass to be boosted into the goal?
Instigator

Post by Instigator »

Sqleaf wrote: Indeed, that is true. But if these new skills are seen as laming or un-defendable they are likly to be stopped too.

Having more than one skill is a skill in itself.

Do you mean a high shot? Well why isn't he looking at the ball?

so your saying keepers should be able to figure out where the ball is going, then react to it in all but 4 tenths of a second?
:hmmmz:
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

GazMaN wrote: so your saying you could stop the other 3 outfield players from boosting each other for the full duration of the match?

im fairly sure if i wanted to in a game, i would b able to get free from you numerous times and boost my teamm8 in the air

*I* probably couldn't, but that's because you would have shown more skill and *outplayed* your opponent.

That said, I have been in games, and played on team where exactly what you described *has* happened. All boosts were blocked, no quarter was given, and fcu whupped drz 9 - 0.

I have a feeling this latest removal will be a trick too far. I'm really anxious to get back home and try it out now...
Sqleaf

Post by Sqleaf »

Instigator wrote: so your saying keepers should be able to figure out where the ball is going, then react to it in all but 4 tenths of a second?
:hmmmz:
I don't think the fast vollys have been taken out have they? Players can still volly at that speed from manual passes.

In a team the defenders should be stopping them from doing that. So yes, if the team are working *as a team* theres no reason the keeper cannot save it.
But as plaer says, if the attacker has used his skill to beat you then theres not much to complain about.

ps: are you a keeper, defender or attacker Insti?

[edit]Jsut noticed that Plaer was commenting on a different post, but it still kinda makes sense. Well you know what i mean :) [/edit]
Last edited by Sqleaf on 28-10-2003 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

stopping this move is possible...yes, but it's not a reliable thing and always a bit luck depended. so if they do it....then at least with skill.
f1end

Post by f1end »

Gaz...nice sig....but they AREN'T jailbait in UK (most of them)
Onge

Post by Onge »

Oh, I got the looking at the ground crash bug testing 1.9 earlier. I thought it had been fixed?