Penalty for Shooting Ball Out Of Play?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

I see your point about giving it to the enemy keeper (on the penalty dot or not), that pretty much guarantees posession for the other team, which is good. I like the idea of keeping it in the offensive zone though. Clearing the ball and having it go to the enemy keeper would be better than just having it spawn midfield. It's that much further from your goal. My idea was to make clearing the ball out on D less attractive as a defensive measure.

I'm thinking of this in terms of maps like cube, I don't think it's needed on small maps like Smallcube or (obviously) enclosed maps like Tribun.

On a side note, can the scoreboard in Cube be made in play, so the ball will bounce off it instead of resetting. I'm always waiting for it to richochet off the jumbotron.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

I think everyone who resets the ball should Suck DavidM's juicy penis
bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

Way to contribute to the discussion.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

i think the resets to the enemy keeper (assuming it wasn't buy which would be horrible) could be a great idea, though a way to cut it off if you choose would probably be a good idea
gnomeh

Post by gnomeh »

Well, if it implemented, the ball shouldn't respawn on the little dot in front of the keeper. It will NOT guarantee possesion of the ball and just cause more problems. If a team was attacking, and accidently knocked it out, it would respawn right back on offense for them and they could just rush the pbox. Another thing is it will probaly create even greater goal hanging although defense should have that.
KandyFLip

Post by KandyFLip »

why not just close off the maps so the ball can't go out?
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

that's a bit drastic
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

bleh... closed statiums are nicer usually and would have better uses of light

Also, the height cap on the map is retarded, that should really be removed.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

closed stadiums can get spammy though,
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

not really... look at Morpheus, the onld crapply mapped indoors map... never got spammy, just map bugs.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Intriguing suggestion! This idea makes perfect sense - out of bounds *should* be a turnover.
Off the top of my head, I would suggest the closest teammember to the OB point would take possession. They should spawn at the point the ball went OB with a 3-5 second countdown before play is resumed and he can inbound it.
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

good idea, perhaps you could let mappers control the placing of the out of bounds points. kind of like extra player starts. So if the ball goes out of bounds, then it respawns on the closest OOB point, in the possession of the opposition player closest to that OOB point.
bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

Good idea! Should be a quick transition to keep gameply moving. I can see this being tiresome if the ball is constantly shoot OOB, but that in itself would discourage spamming it out.

Is DavindM in the thread? What's he think?
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I don't think any of this needs to be changed. What's wrong with the way it is now? Purposely resetting the ball is a useful tactic that can be a very effective means of getting the ball from the offense to the defense, if it isn't expected by the opposition.
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

that's the problem, its a crappy way of getting the ball to halfway, which no-one can guard against (i.e. intercept).

i agree that the transition should be quick, even immediate. so the guy spawns with the ball as soon as it leaves, and maybe has a 0.4s invulnerability or something to prevent camping on the reset points.