Db lost to unwheel lolz!~!

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

wtflol? :| unwheel = utterly suckormaniacish-org
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

DavidM wrote: i know deathball is the most innovating and the best long time motivation game in this category, simply because the others are all DONE....its all been there

tbh, that's bullshit... Sure there are GAMES like Xcalon and Alien Swarm etc, but no mods like it, so it's new... And you call deathball innovating (hello fragball ;)).

And imo, all the mods i'm making are original. (tennis/dodgeball/brutaltactics/vroom) (never been done before afaik)
speedy

Post by speedy »

WTF.COM
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

Rens2Sea wrote: tbh, that's bullshit... Sure there are GAMES like Xcalon and Alien Swarm etc, but no mods like it, so it's new... And you call deathball innovating (hello fragball ;)).

Who cares if the things done in the past are standalone games or modifications of another game, they still deliver a specific game experience and if something delivers the same kind of experience a year later i wouldnt call that innovative or new
CripTonic

Post by CripTonic »

wow a lot of whining in this thread.

News flash: DB isnt that fantastic nor original. You said it yourself, its based on the most popular sport in the world. That doesn't make it great.

First of all, they play the game single player or as a team for many 10-20 minutes. They don't care that you have a league. They don't care that its novelty value will wear off. They just want to find the most original or different mod they can.

If you've ever owned a Super Nintendo you have probably heard of the game Smash TV, one of the most fun and hard games of all time... a game where you could sit down with a friend for a few hours and scrape your way to the end of the game. This is a LOT like Alien Swarm and hardly any other games can replicate the experience of fast action overhead arcade shooters.

Deathball is basically Bombing run geared in a different direction. Bombing Run is more like American football (turnovers, scoring scheme, weapons for full contact). DB is more like Soccer (or hockey to some extent) and it made simplistic and arcade style... sure its fun, but original? not overly.

If you honestly expected to take top honors in this catagory, then you're making the wrong game. You're designing what ultimatly comes down to Unreal FIFA 2004.

You're making fun of a game that's been around since UT2003 which was one of the first to actualy try to simulate vehicle physics. Something that isnt even very well accomplished by the people that made Onslaught (although it is very good).

If you were to hypathetically release a real game, using the unreal engine, why in the hell would you make something that has to compete with the likes of FIFA? Most of the other mods (havnt played them all, never heard of Xcalon) are at least original...

Just to make this perfectly clear, I'm not insulting DB, for it is a fun game and I do play it regularly now, but if I were a judge and had to put you up against alien swarm or air bucks, you'd surely lose even though I havn't played either in quite some time now on the simple basis that they are much more original.
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

I'd just like to point out that deathball plays nothing like any fifa-game ever made and your comparison deathball/fifa doesnt really get to me, sure it's the same 'idea' sort of, but they are totally different games
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

big disagree @ criptonic tbh
CripTonic

Post by CripTonic »

Bombing run being an official mod for UT2004 doesnt help your case...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

it is NOTHING like anything in deathball.
only people who never got into deathball say this...
speedy

Post by speedy »

i disagree with criptonic too.

it's not soccer, it's football! :mad:
CripTonic

Post by CripTonic »

1) In bombing run you have players working as a team who's overall objective is to get a ball through a goal to score points.
In deathball you have players working as a team who's overall objective is to get a ball through a goal to score points.

2) In bombing run deaths and kills are irrelivant because they don't add anything to the teams score.
In deathball deaths and kills are irrelivant because they don't add anything to the teams score.

3) In bombing run there are 2 fundamental ways to score. By shooting the ball over a distance or running it into the net
In deathball there are 2 fundamental ways to score. By shooting the ball over a distance (be it by shooting or volleying) or running it into the net.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

SuperMario is like Unreal

1) In Unreal you have to kill others cause they could harm you
In SuperMario you have to kill others cause they could harm you

2) In Unreal you have to jump at times
In SuperMario you have to jump at times

3) In Unreal you have to reach the next level
In SuperMario you have to reach the next level

4) You can shoot enemies in Unreal
You can shoot enemies in SuperMario

Proof: Unreal is a cheap rip off of Mario!
Messy

Post by Messy »

I was gonna something similar to what DavidM did :( but I guess I wouldn't have done it better anyway ;)

CripTonic: I can't say I agree on anything you've said o_O besides that Smash TV was hard and fun :D

Note that you don't have to have had a super nintendo to know it though ¬_¬ as it came out on the Sega Megadrive too (duh).
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

lol, that's funny :)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

my issue is more with unWheel than the other mods.

Alien Swarm was a dam good mod. It may not have the longevity of DB since coop games get dull once you've done everything but it was still a well polished and professional mod.

the one time i tried unWheel it was an unplayable pile of shite. The controls were totally unsuitable, the interface was pig ugly, the tracks were uninspired, in fact there were no redeeming features to that mod whatsoever.