Is there a point?

All about Death Ball Leagues and Tournaments

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Pyroteknik

Is there a point?

Post by Pyroteknik »

Is there a point having 3 divisions?

I mean div 3 is pretty much a joke, with teams with less members than u need to field a team. Div 2 has some quality teams in it which i'm sure will go up into div 1 come the end of the season but not enough to make it seem any where near exciting, hell even div 1 has an outright winner as far as i'm concerned.

so what do we do about it?

carry on like this and the league will die, maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow but it'll happen, or we could change it.,

I think we'd be better off with TWO divisions.

DIV1 would be around 15-20 teams and it'd have 3 relegation spots.

DIV2 would be around 15-20 and have no relegation spots, and three promotion spots. see where i'm goin with this?

phase out all the shit teams that have virtually no members, re-organise the league, sort out the rules, then ppl play to win.

when new teams are formed that want to join the league they can start off in div 2, then if we need more divisions have them, right now i see no point to having three.

be interested in knowing what u guys think, am i imagining the problem? is it a crap solution? any better ideas?

Piro.
Mayer.hun

Post by Mayer.hun »

Pyro has right in someways... But I think... we should just make a:
Gruop A, and Group B... The first 4 of each group advances after all matches have been played, and then comes the Knockout fase, and in the end... someone wins.... hopefully.
GhosT_Face_KiLLa
Banned

Post by GhosT_Face_KiLLa »

Mayer were on about a league not a cup :)
Pyroteknik

Post by Pyroteknik »

U mean more like a Cup than a League?

sounds interesting, seed some teams, then randomly pick the others, could be good, but could be run along side the league.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

If you have too many teams in a division then you play too many games, the season spreads out far too long and teams give up and quit.
Pyroteknik

Post by Pyroteknik »

teams are giving up and quitting now cata. thats with a short season and fewer games. as it stands i just don't think there's a point to the league.
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

Catalyst88 wrote: If you have too many teams in a division then you play too many games, the season spreads out far too long and teams give up and quit.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

That's because the divisions still take far too long to play through, especially since you have to play every other team twice per season
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

I definately think that more teams in each league is a bad idea. As Cata says, the season is already taking far too long. Increasing the number of teams would make this worse
Mayer.hun

Post by Mayer.hun »

If we have too much teams in one Div, there are too many matches... if we have less teams... many teams quit, and League dies after a few matches... we need an idea with which we don't fell off from the other side of the horse...
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

The UT CTF league I was in had 6 teams per division, and several divisions. All teams only played each other once per league season, the top team in each division got promoted, the bottom team relegated to the division below. We could do that or we could hold it as more of a cup-like afair. No offense to DavidM but I just don't think DB works if you try to make it like the euro soccer league stuff...

Perhaps if we had two divisions, then had groups of six teams, and the top two in each group went into playoffs to play for the division. Each season the winner and runner up of division two go into division one, and the two bottom teams in div 1 go down into div 2. This provides 1) the excitement of a one-off playoff system, and shorter seasons means less teams drop out (hopefully).

In short: two divisions of 12 teams. Each division is divided into two "groups" of teams of 6 per group. The top two in each group go into a playoff format to determine who wins the division. The two top teams from div 2 go into div one next season (random groups drawn again), and the bottom two teams from div 1 groups go into div 2. If that made any sense to anyone please give comments (It makes sens in my head... maybe I'll draw a diagram tomorrow to illustrate it).

No doubt davidm will refer to this system as silly, but i think it'd make DB more interesting :) (oh... and each team should only play each other team once, in a CB style system. Two 20-minute maps, score is added together... or you could count each game seperately for the purposes of league points, which would also make things more interesting). Right, rant over :)
BlackFlame

Post by BlackFlame »

hat cata said ^^ (cant be bothered to read it)
Pyroteknik

Post by Pyroteknik »

cata is there a short version for dumb ppl?
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

I'll do you a diagram when I get home from school :) (It's easier to see in pictorial form)
Sqleaf

Post by Sqleaf »

Catalyst88 wrote: All that stuff she wrote
Not a bad idea Cata. But when the teams play 2x20mins maps both maps would be Cube (mostly). 40mins playing Cube dosn't sound like much fun to be honest :)

Unless of corse one team is forced to pick a different map. But which one, and why? Dunno. Just my 2p