What happened to the old defending?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Fooman

What happened to the old defending?

Post by Fooman »

With this new tetris sound on change of possession i am finding out more things about the game. Like how balls go through people. Before I thought I was lagging, but I'm hearing the sound now and I know its all lies. I don't know if you realise this M, but balls are actually going through people, it isnt always lag. And with replays i get to see the lies twice.

Plz bring back the old(1.3) catch/block radius so balls don't go through us as often as they go in Sin's mouth.
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

Haven't played much of 1.9 because of Starwars, I guess my deathball days are almost done. I occasionally play @ times, but UT netcode sucks. I do believe that fooman is right, however, your first person perspective is different whereas the replay because you cannot predict what happens next always. The gameplay generally follows one way, we play it like that and you assume that the ball is going to bounce off. Some instances it the delay between the server and client, and this is the big flaw with deathball now as the line between the client and server is wierd.

I think the deathball code was better when it was simple and with all the new stuff added, I think its getting worse.

It's like the sprint affect in 1.5 or 1.6 whereas you sprint and your frames take a big hit and you can't react that profeciently.
fs|Pele
Banned

Post by fs|Pele »

maybe we should have some sort of deathball lite version :)
Messy

Post by Messy »

Yes..and split the small community into two parts and make 'real' deathball not at all accessible for n00bs.

That wud be smart yeh.
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

" 'real' deathball not at all accessible for n00bs."

It already isn't.
DiStUrbeD

Post by DiStUrbeD »

Messy wrote: Yes..and split the small community into two parts and make 'real' deathball not at all accessible for n00bs.

That wud be smart yeh.

what is the noob:"experienced" player ratio?

wouldn't it be better to make them actually have to learn the game rather than making it boring for a majority of the community?
NitrousOxide

Post by NitrousOxide »

N00b DB mutator/option in DB server setup...

Keeper can only be outside pzone for limited time, say 3 seconds (then drops ball and respawns in small box)
One outfield player must always stay in their team's half of field and play as sweeper/defender
No volleying at all, get them to learn basics of passes and charged shots
Incorporate 'server ads' style text messaging into game, giving basic tips

\o/
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

Originally posted by NitrousOxide
Keeper can only be outside pzone for limited time, say 3 seconds (then drops ball and respawns in small box)
..err... dont like that :( Keepers should be free, it aint their fault noone is there to close them down, even with n00bs, why limit options in the 'main' game after a lot of people moan about the 'class' difference in DB already? its robbing them of tactics

One outfield player must always stay in their team's half of field and play as sweeper/defender So easily abused..

No volleying at all, get them to learn basics of passes and charged shots See above above

Incorporate 'server ads' style text messaging into game, giving basic tips the only 1 i could agree on :)

\o/
NitrousOxide

Post by NitrousOxide »

How many n00bs do you see run out of goal when they spawn there, leaving empty net?

How many times do you see n00bs leave a keeper with absolutely no protection?

How many times do you see n00bs try and volley every bloody shot and turn game into pinball?

I see all above loads, hence my suggestions! \o/
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

...how many will learn by taking away skills needed for DB clan matches?
NitrousOxide

Post by NitrousOxide »

If players get a chance to master the basics of DB (passing, boosting, defending etc) in a n00bs server environment, they will be better equipped than being chocolate teapots in normal DB pub servers \o/

The added advantage is that very few non-n00bs will want to play such a watered down variant of the game, giving newcomers a chance to develope skills that regular pub players like Cat and *Domina* take completely forgranted.

Consequently, standard pub servers can then be used as decent recruitment grounds for clans taking part in the DBL \o/
Messy

Post by Messy »

I agree with Nitrous, it could simply be a bool and i dont think much needs to be changed.

What I meant at the 'db light' thingy tho, is that two seperate downloads would make the step too big, and deathball will become even less accessible

Anyway, as long as people know about the regular db, 1 server (like the "Where n00bs meet" server there is already now) with the n00b mode NO2 already suggested, would be really good and then when they're advanced enough and think they're cool, they can get beat up by the 'pros' and try to use volley etc. (and run out of their half :rolleyes:)

One thing i see happening tho is n00bs racing eachother to be first out of the half, and pushing eachother in it -.-

Or them whining about being killed and respawned just before they pass outside of their half just coz sweep left...

And lots of bugs with that..

Still think it's a good idea if the messages are clear O_o ("U are sweeper, get back in own half in 3..2....1...*kill*", and all the tips @ the server messages \o/)
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

D is steaming shit piles, anyone with an IQ above 4 can play defense, its just a matter of hammering and camping zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz make it harder (and actually require skill like it used to)
priior

Post by priior »

this conversation is moot.

cata's modifications make things right again!

x: if playin d takes an iq of 4... playing o takes even less than that.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

priior wrote: this conversation is moot.

cata's modifications make things right again!

x: if playin d takes an iq of 4... playing o takes even less than that.

then lets swap positions and see you score on me... ive played d, ive played o, and ive played keep. And I can do all of them well, and ive played o long enough to know that with every version they have handicapped any working methods of offense that ive used. Handicapping the offense makes it easier for d... if your team boosts back like they should defense is an absolute joke.