DB Skills #1: Defending

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Catalyst88

DB Skills #1: Defending

Post by Catalyst88 »

Put up article #1 in a series of however many I end up doing. Take a read - I intended to picturise more stuff but I never got around to it (I may do soon).

My novice guide is also now hosted here.

Whatcha think? Worth doing more? And if you have some suggestions for tips/techniques then contact me :)
Last edited by Catalyst88 on 20-11-2003 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Fallen
Banned

Post by Fallen »

Nice article cat, but you fail to relize that some attackers if you mark will hit you out of the way, putting you out of position. When I play on a european server, I easily do this because some fail to relize the full advantage of the hammer.

If you know how to hammer the guy away, recieve the pass, thats a true attacker in the best possibility who knows about position.

Defending is hard, if you try to defend some on the NA guys, like prank, adren, Xelent, Bodom. They tend to hit you away.

New defenders should relize, you have to get used to the defender, and watch his tendencies. If he beats you once, don't let him do the same thing twice.

Try to keep your distance between him and goal, if you are not marking the ball carrier, you should box him out by boost him side to side so that the ball carrier has one less pass option.

Box defend is effective, but it can be abused, that is why you must always know where the enemy is throughtout the game.

The radar is the defenders best weapon/friend, you can easily find out where you team mates are and give them a easy pass.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

I find that pressing v54 repeatedly annoys the attacker and messes them up.
priior

Post by priior »

another point to add.. most time as a defender.. u end up going forward.. as a noob, i had a hard time conceptualizin going further away from my goal (towards a teammate) so i can get boosted towards the goal.

so advice becomes.. look for ppl who can boost u back into position, and go for it. (radar=ur friend as fallen mentioned)
Onge

Post by Onge »

Nice article Cata...A noob like me can learn some things!
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

Onge wrote: Nice article Cata...A noob like me can learn some things!

same here \o/
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

I bet you guys know more about defending than i do though :)
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

defending? what is that?
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

The thing about not being to close to an attacker is a very valid point. I tend to vary my tactics depending on who I'm marking at the time
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you can just kick around some, but for others you better just keep a distance and tackle at the right moment, otherwise they might just kick you outta the way

keeping on distance = not too much, but just enough so he cant tackle you
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

ya its no good tryin to mark som1 like heiniken or cata closely , theyll just boost ya all over the show just as ball is comig towards ya, but their are plenty of guys who like to volley everything so its good to stick up their asses and mess em about.

Variety is a key word,

god if i wernt so shit in def, id be great :)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

quote of the week
"if i weren't shit, i'd be great"
Messy

Post by Messy »

DavidM wrote: quote of the week
"if i weren't shit, i'd be great"

That's actually paraphrasing dave :) not quoting.

gg cata :)
Altho it's important that u also include the part where u watch out for other attackers since people might assist (cross volley etc.)

If that's already mentioned enough i apologise, because i read it over very quickly (which is stupid coz i might learn something from it :D) and didnt find nething about that O_o

gg tho....gg
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Messy wrote: Altho it's important that u also include the part where u watch out for other attackers since people might assist (cross volley etc.)

Part 2 of the defensive tutorials is gonna be on defending as a team - ie in relation to other players on yours/the opposition's team rather than just locally + with the person you're marking.
Xelent

Post by Xelent »

hammer isnt necessary on d... just walk your man back to the box, which is basically all you have to do to prevent a pass

if all else fails do the bong spam before they shoot or volley \m/