DB-Cartoon (name in working progress etc..blah blah)

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Looks mad. :p
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Looking forward to testing a beta.
TEZC-Rage

Post by TEZC-Rage »

Ok a first public beta.

Suggestion for name = DB-ToonBall

Things missing :-

1) Special event for the goal scorer

2) Bomb and Bombspawn missing

These are missing because the code isn't finished for them yet.

Confession time

Some pitch markings, everything to do with cameras, player starts, and team/goal volumes ripped from DB-Cube to save me time and get testing.
If DavidM wants me to do my own i will, i just wanted to get playing the map a.s.a.p

Features

1) 'Boing' speech bubbles when you hit either crossbar or post along with a 'boing' noise

2) 'Crack' speech bubble when you hit the screen with the ball along with 'breaking glass' noise. If anyone can find a glass cracking, not smashing, sound it would be helpful.

3) Hole in the bottom of the goals which only the ball/bomb falls through, along with smoke emitters to give an impression that the bomb explodes when you score.

Notes

1) To see the screen and speech bubbles world detail needs to be on highest
2) To see emitters world detail needs to be on high.

Finally play and enjoy. Report any bugs here and i'll fix 'em a.s.a.p

Any other suggestions are welcome.

get map here

http://tezc.colute.net/Maps/db-toonball ... ublic1.zip
Last edited by TEZC-Rage on 11-10-2003 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
TEZC-Rage

Post by TEZC-Rage »

P.S

the bots do not work at all due to lack of pathnodes, so don't try it with 'em :p
BurntLeaf
Banned

Post by BurntLeaf »

/me slaps DavidM around with a let this map into DB sign
UnrealKrake

Post by UnrealKrake »

no words can express how the map will be, let the smilies talk:

\o/ :p :cool:

:lol: go on, nice one
Messy

Post by Messy »

Very good job so far rage \o/

Just a few things i want to say:

- Is there a way to make sure the ball falls down no matter how the goal is scored? Like getting an invisible volume that will force it to eventually fall, or some kind of suck-meganism or whatever ;x
It's just too bad when the 'bomb' explodes and it comes bouncing towards u again ;)

- Can you try and add some sound effects (and preferably more visual effects ;)) for the explosion? :D I really like the idea (same for about all the ideas @ this map >_< <3)

- *sniff* i wub u man >_< hehe *cough* i mean..great map :) keep up the good work \o/

ps: what krake said.
TEZC-Rage

Post by TEZC-Rage »

Thx for the comments guys/gals etc...

Yea the bomb pops out if you hit the top corners.

Prolly gonna fix it by remaking the goals ( I don't like the current ones much anyway ) And making the backand side walls like the floor so that only the ball will pass through.

1 Bad thing about this is that if you play in practise mode you have to wait for the ball to reset.

Another thing.

When playing with bots (dunno if it works with other players online and i hope it doesn't) the ball resets if you either shoot or volly it. Dunno why yet.. but that's wierd.
Last edited by TEZC-Rage on 12-10-2003 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

The map looks good.

You probably already know most of this but I'll mention it anyway.

The red/blue half volumes should be bigger. They don't go all the way to the side walls or are high enough. Penalty volumes should be higher also.

You can see the seems in the sky box. Also, I think your not suppose to have the sunlight actor in the skybox. I think for performance reasons. I've read info on this somewhere but I don't remember details.

The post hit, goal, cracked screen bubble movers: Move the active key-frame back to one unit away from the wall. They move out too far into the field. I'd take these off highest detail and set them to normal. The FPS hit is not big and only for a short time while the effect is displayed. It's a key feature for your map I think should be a normal setting. Consider and test using anti-portals in the wall to keep the movers from being rendered when they are non-active. I used movers in DB-Sunsetbeta2 for post hit effects. Check out how I set them up if you want a reference.

The "goal" graphic could us a little work. It's nice, just clean up the testure a bit.

The cracked screen bubble I would suggest moving off to the side of the screen. I think it would look better than in front of the screen hiding that effect.

The goals. In my opinion, being able to see the net between the post and the wall is weird. I would move the goal back so the back of the posts are 3 units deep into the wall. Vertex edit the goal subtract and make it 2 units shorter from the wall (you now won't have a hole for the goal. Use another subtract for the 2 units but make this one smaller on the sides and top so that it's not outside of the posts. I think it would look better if the posts touch the wall.

Your emitters are for goal effects so they don't need to be a high detail setting. Play has stopped, so the FPS hit is not a problem.

You only have one DB-Specialevent by one goal and two DB-specialevents by the other.

Nice job. I like.

When your done with this one, I'd like to see a small version for the volley whores. Volley maps seem to work better with roofs so I'd suggest adjusting the map to include one if you decide to also make a small volley version.
Last edited by Twigstir on 12-10-2003 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
[V3]Jew
Banned

Post by [V3]Jew »

very nice
TEZC-Rage

Post by TEZC-Rage »

Twigstir wrote: The map looks good.

You probably already know most of this but I'll mention it anyway.

The red/blue half volumes should be bigger. They don't go all the way to the side walls or are high enough. Penalty volumes should be higher also.
[/b]

Done

You can see the seems in the sky box. Also, I think your not suppose to have the sunlight actor in the skybox. I think for performance reasons. I've read info on this somewhere but I don't remember details.

Dunno why it does this, i can't get them all aligned correctly. But i notice the same problem in CTF-Face3

The post hit, goal, cracked screen bubble movers: Move the active key-frame back to one unit away from the wall. They move out too far into the field. I'd take these off highest detail and set them to normal. The FPS hit is not big and only for a short time while the effect is displayed.

The "goal" graphic could us a little work. It's nice, just clean up the testure a bit.

The cracked screen bubble I would suggest moving off to the side of the screen. I think it would look better than in front of the screen hiding that effect.

Done. Also recreated some of the main textures

http://tezc.colute.net/shots/Shot00043.jpg

The goals. In my opinion, being able to see the net between the post and the wall is weird. I would move the goal back so the back of the posts are 3 units deep into the wall. Vertex edit the goal subtract and make it 2 units shorter from the wall (you now won't have a hole for the goal. Use another subtract for the 2 units but make this one smaller on the sides and top so that it's not outside of the posts. I think it would look better if the posts touch the wall.

Done.

Your emitters are for goal effects so they don't need to be a high detail setting. Play has stopped, so the FPS hit is not a problem.

You only have one DB-Specialevent by one goal and two DB-specialevents by the other.

Done and Done :p
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Sky box seem Fix:

UDN Tutorial: http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/Ex ... sSkyZones/

Often these seams are just ignored, but they can be minimized in one of two ways, either by using a StaticMesh for the Sky Box or using BSP with a little extra work. It is recommened that you just use a StaticMesh Sky Box if you can, but if this is not an option, you can follow the below procedure.

To correct the seams with BSP, open up the Surface Properties window again and then tweak each of the texture’s scale so it’s slightly larger than the surface it is on, and if necessary us the Pan U and Pan V buttons to realign the textures.

A mildly quicker way to minimize these seams is to clamp each of the textures in the U and V directions by opening up the properties for each texture although it still can leave a small seam and often requires panning each of the textures slightly in both the U and V directions to avoid horrible stretching.

In the attached EM_SkyZone1.unr, the textures were each set to clamp in the U and V directions and then the sky box surfaces were scaled by 1.01 and then realigned by panning the textures into position.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

The picture of the ball and bomb spawn look good. I still think you should break the center line and make some graphic to go around the ball spawn. A circle like in cube would work or something more fancy would at a little spice to the map. A still favor a rotating sign saying something like "ACME TOONBALL" as a good fit for the ball spawn area.

Here's a picture of my Deathball sign. The "DEATHBALL" rotates. http://home.rochester.rr.com/twigstir/Bombspawn.jpg

For your goal effects check out DB-Optimized03: http://www.4cows.net/4cows/deathballmap ... .php?id=29 Doing something similar would work very well in your map.

P.S. Your center line is an add brush. Change it to a non-solid (add special brush). Will show green in the editor.
Last edited by Twigstir on 12-10-2003 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Looks much better. :p
Last edited by Armagon on 13-10-2003 04:41, edited 1 time in total.