DBL - Suggestions - Good For The Community

All about Death Ball Leagues and Tournaments

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Bazzi

Post by Bazzi »

- Auto-dating of the matches will be removed
- Admin for each game: Nice idea, but hard to realize (if you offer some hints how to do it exctly I'm open for them)
- Ball to keeper: I'm ok with that
- 48/24 hour rule: can be changed if wanted, yeah
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

I can sense some laming potential with the ball-back-to-keeper rule.

Example: (Game is on team A's server)

-Team A is attacking and loses ball
-Team B goes on a fast counter attack
-Team A lames and fake-claims bug.
-Admin A pauses.
-After restart, this new rule forces team B, who had a good goalscoring chance, to pass back to the keeper.

That's just one scenario I can think of. I'm sure there are more.

All these issues could be resolved by a simple rule. Demo record every game. If there is an argument at the end of the game, eg like the DeeZ/AC fiasco recently, then a demo must be submitted.

An admin can watch the demo, decide if there is a valid complaint, and give the appropriate result. If there is no demo, default draw the game, or have a replay-match. It ain't exactly hard to type "demorec game" at the start of every match. Server-side demo would be preferable, but that might not be possible in all cases.
Hoju

Post by Hoju »

best solution for the shootbug is to FIX IT FOR FUCK'S SAKE. I don't see how you can call this a legitimate game until horrible bugs like this are fixed. If it really is Epic's fault, we need to come together as a community and nag the FUCK out of them to fix it.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Heh, you go girl! :p ;) :D :) :devil: :hmmmz: :spammer: (<-- me) :ban:

edit: I agree totally with plaer @ return ball to keeper, certainly going to be lamed at/with.

Also, 24 hours is idd better than 48, altho i suggest stating that arranging it between clans is possible too, so they can change it if both agree within that 24 hours period, thus stating it's legal but @ own risk :)

ps: thank you robban. <3
Last edited by Messy on 10-10-2003 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

hey now messy! that was _really_ constructive! :D

-_-
Messy

Post by Messy »

Also, i suggest keeping auto-date implemented, but only for games that haven't been played after 2 weeks or so, teams should still be able to cancel tho.

Also IMO nething should be done to keep default wins and losses and ties to a minimum, and perhaps only get them completely settled @ end of season, perhaps get a full week after season has finished to look @ demorecs, default wins/losses etc. before declaring the actual winner ^^; Maybe even better would be if this was settled before the final of division 1, and make that really big n stuff =D To still keep the real triomphy feeling in n stuff(because i can expect it to feel a bit lame when u've been declared just-not-the-champion, because a game earlier in season got declared a loss or summit coz of demorec).

Generally, more fairness, more perfection, faster seasons, more adminning :)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Fooman wrote: Get rid of goal differential.

lol no
you only say that cause v3 seems to win the league because they have more goals than you
giber

Post by giber »

I would like to see the following.

Have an playoff at the end of the league between the tops teams.

Have commisioner for the NADBL (Someone in NA that cares about NADBL.)

Foo hit the nail on the head. Scoring system needs to be revised. Beating a crap team by 20 does not mean much so goal differential needs to go. Also a lot of time that crap team improves from beginning to end the goal differential is not a telling statistic.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

DavidM wrote: lol no
you only say that cause v3 seems to win the league because they have more goals than you

I say this because it is a dumb idea. The fact that V3 has a larger goal diff than RusH Blue doesn't matter. You play to win the game, not to run up scores.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

ehm wait, not sure about that
but isnt direct comparison > than goal difference?
if its not we gotta change that
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

giber wrote:
Beating a crap team by 20 does not mean much so goal differential needs to go.

that shuldnt be the case in the top division
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

been added to the rules that direct comparison > goal difference

but in the rush-v3 case it wouldn't make a difference
Messy

Post by Messy »

giber wrote: Also a lot of time that crap team improves from beginning to end the goal differential is not a telling statistic.

It's about the average u perform in a league =/

If a below-average team gets in top form for about a week, and wins 2 games hugely but loses the rest, that's bad.

But if one of those 2 teams won against was a team which was just average, but played very consistant, would u still say the below-average team with that temporary top form is better?
giber

Post by giber »

No this is what I am trying to say (and in NADBL it works this way since we are just one league)

Beginning of Year
Team NUB = SUX
TEAM 1 plays Team NUB at beginning of season wins by 20 goals.

Middle of Year.
Team NUB = Much Improved, ready to cause havoc in league.

End of year.

Team 2 plays Team NUB at end of seasin winning by 1 goal costing Team 2 much need goal differential.

This is the only reason why I think goal differential should not be counted. As it stands now I can live with the change DavidM made that direct comparison > goal differential although I believe in a tie a Playoff game would be much more telling of the True champ and much more exciting for the league as a whole. Especially with UT2k4 have UTTV built in so everyone could watch it.

Btw I am on RusH-Red not RusH-Blue, so my argument has nothing to do with who is going to finish first this season.
Orbitul

Post by Orbitul »

When the winner of the league is decided entirely on goal differential (same amount of points and same direct comparision) then it's just silly. Why not have a playoff game to really decide the champion?

Maybe just use the goal differential to decide things like 4th or 5th place but not the champion.

Basically one lucky game where a team plays an opponent at their weakest or with less players, etc can swing the whole balance.

And again, it's not like this is a regular sports league where teams are professional and every team in the league needs to fill the best roster possible for every game. Plus when do you ever really see blowout games in soccer? i mean a blowout is about 3 goals, not enough to sway the balance of goal differential. But in DB a blowout is 10+ goals, easily enough to sway the balance.