Spam ball (is this why db isn't as much fun anymore?)

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

Spam ball (is this why db isn't as much fun anymore?)

Post by theberkin8or »

Is it just me or db more and more just a game of spam and who can spam/deal with the spam the best.

just to name a couple of examples:

the increased use of charge passes which are often volleyed away (thus spaming)

volleying away reg passes

cross volleying. which when they miss become spam

boost volley spam

well now i think about it... i think it probably the increased use of volleying that causes this spam...

to me spam just isn't nearly as much fun as a more clean game with passing being the most important factor not who can get to the spamed ball b4 the other team

any ideas on it and/or how to fix it?
HerbalTea

Post by HerbalTea »

um, stop playin v0 in SC with n00bs?
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

to me it feels like db has become what sc used to be (n00b or no n00b) so very spamy... i am not complaining... i have stop caring honestly, to those that like their spam more power to u, i am just wondering if this might be something we could agree needed to be fixed
Diab

Post by Diab »

so whats to do? increase catch radius by 300 unreal units? o_O
f1end

Post by f1end »

reduce the volley radius
Axl

Post by Axl »

stop volleys altogether \o/ :D make DB the game it once was, a "team based, have to pass" type of game.. rather than a "Randomly hit the ball all over the pitch" type of game :)
Diab

Post by Diab »

if so, how would an option to (unable to volley enemy balls) be? or the other way around?

Unable to volley self balls?

*edit* though now if theres more then 3v3 volley power is lower when in the air, so it would stop so meny balls bouncing OB or right across the field.
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

Or just pass to some1 when he's open ;p
If u know what ur doing and u pass right and aim right..spam shud be reduced to the minimum :o

Maybe u shud add an option so that u get a smaller volley radius on normal locked passes..altho that would seem to take away the need for (more skilled) shot passes..those can be used to banana around or shoot over the attacker.

This way the enemy marking the teamie u want to pass to has to be closer to the ball to 'spam' it away, or mark closer so that u cant banana around or shoot over him.

Just an idea tho..quick summary:

Smaller radius on locked passes =
either marking enemy has to be closer to the pass, instead of volleying it away from way too much distance...
OR the marking enemy is forced to mark closer because of shot passes having the advantage of being able to be shot over or around him.

Should reduce *some* of the spam in a reasonable way imo..what do u guys think?
Dont u agree that spamming away passes is too easy?
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

if volley raduis were more like they were in 1.4b it would fix this... but then again you have the problem of it making volleying too easy (just nerf volley speed as well and then you would probably get a marked decrease in spam)

the problem with having two different volley raduis for lock passes and non locked is taht it is hard to get learn three different volley raduises (though i would support the idea over the current spam we are seeing)
Last edited by theberkin8or on 08-09-2003 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
HerbalTea

Post by HerbalTea »

I think the best thing to do is have a semi-interception, inside of hammering the ball super far away, it would be more like blocking a soccer kick pass, the ball would be blocked but wouldn't be hit halfway across the field, say more like 10-20 feet away from where the pass block happened, therefore making it easier to pick up off the ground.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

that is an interesting idea... i would think more like 5-10 feet away (how about making volleys more powerful the closer they are to your body... this would have some interesting effects), but what are you going to do about volleys in the other teams half, currently there is no volley speed change... i think probably the thing to do would be to make this all over the field... volleying a bad pass into the goal isn't all that common so i don't think it would nerf anything to badly

though i would say that decreasing volley raduis would be the opitum solution for me becuase i would also like to see passing open up a little more for quicker game play.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

Blame David M for almost ALL defensive spam. Back in the day the defense use to have a much smaller hammer with a lot less power. This was good because either they would catch the ball or volley it just infront of them to control the ball. There was nothing wrong with this but it still got changed and spamball was born.

Remember when it took skill to play D? I do. Thats why i never played it. It was too hard. Now all you have to do is either a) spam the ball away with your uber-forgiving spam-hammer of death or b) camp the Pbox. The choice is yours.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Can we apply the Hammer-of-spamming to surge's head? :)
The_One

Post by The_One »

Yes but he's never notice it. His skull is too thick.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

Thick skull is better than being "Helmit Boy"