[ Public DB "Event" 20:00 CET on Sundays ]

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Messy

Post by Messy »

I kind of agree with The_One on this one..
..technically to me it beats the whole open public ideal if everyone can just sign up.

People who are actually new to the game, people who this is meant for, will not be able to join those helpful games :(

Please advertise as much as possible, keep the 'click when ready'-rule, keep all the rules needed for a 'proper' game (5vs5, non-vo, bigger map, helpful players, etc.), but don't use sign-ups.
People should be able to just hop in for 30 minutes, not having to know about a site to sign up at first.
People new to a game - people that can keep this community fresh and alive - will not know of sites like these.
That's not the way advertising (for these events) will work either :)
Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

oooooke here it is(counting for EURO):

A lot to read, its all about why i do that dbpublic thing in details. :devil:

Point 1: Public games atm
-------------------------------

nearly empty Servers, (most time some people on gKo Serv) often vo,

small maps by most public players prefered.
(It happens often that people leave after voting a large map-> voting scube again cause only 6 players left -> ppl rejoin the Server.. spam again)

How much public Servers we got?

gko - going offline 30th June (maybe(!) new one commin)
18+ - sometimes passworded/pickupgames
GUIDE - why is that server empty so often? Also somtimes pickups but FFA a lot!

Point 2 - Pickups
--------------------
Requires to stay longer times in IRC
hardly 10player Pickups, some days they are running good tho

Point 3 League
------------------
There is noe league. (Well for reasons, i know)

Alternatives?
-----------------

"Playing NA games/PU/League!?"
-> some players are able to do that, but for most like me its unplayable, also timedifference is a problem.

"Lets just wait for a new version!"
Is that version atm so fuckd up? I dont think so! excuses :mad:

"I mean its nothing new, no news on page, (almost)no woking in progress"
Well a new version could help, but just waiting for it to realease.. And if there are a reason for news, mail davidM to post it ;)

"i just play public from time to time for fun, didnt even look at forums or so"
Well most of them like those spamy scube and have no interest in PU's or large map/tactical-games("to boring", "so much to walk" - theire words..)

"I only play pickups, Public is no tactic, to much noobs, not skillbased etc"
Well that ppl seems to care more about themselfs? Dunno, but playing public can be fun! Its for plenty of ppl ... And u all know that its better for DB to support new players on publics, but thats maybe a reason why so much dont play it. They cant stand playing with beginners that arent learning quite fast.

There are more types but i wont want to go deeper there.

My DBPublic.de.vu thoughts
---------------------------

- more players at least on a "special" day (should be every day..)

- giving the game more athmosphere (some spectating comments, website screenshots,awards,stats,even teams)

- large maps only with no VO and a "click to start" option

- give players the possibility/introduciton to play real matches (yes like pickups but without pressure, without irc using/waiting) that are fair as possible but should make fun. (best would be a "website singeup for matches" where you can add your self for that day if you want or remove but that needs some coding i to dump for )

So, what i expect for toay's sunday (for example):
-------------------------------------------------------

around 19:00 we get our first 3on3 game(of registered players) and warmup players on public servers for theire matches.

then by 20:00 CET the PUBEVENT as always runs on GUIDE Server, while team1 is playing Team2 on 18+ Server.
Also players of team 3 and 4 are warming up with the event visitors on GUIDE (and gko if guide is full)

If the Game on 18+ is done i'll make thet public too until its 21:00 CET. Then team 3 against 4 playing here and the teamplayers of 1 and 2 will join (at leaste some of them) GUIDE Server (and gko if full) for public action.

also rematches (if want of both teams) can be played instantly( not sure how much games will "count" but there will be reports for sure for the games players registerd for. the 3 matches that is) players can change tru others also then

Now its just the pubevent again (or if more players singe up with new teams a match at 23:00/19:00 etc) of big maps with every kind of players having fun playing DB.

I
I
v

I know that you have to register for that right now, but its unpossible doin that without it!

I agree that its technically like pickups in some way, but its not the same.

I know i didnt sad all the information before but it does help new players, maybe not exactly the ones who join the server for the first time, but the ones who play for serveal days/weeks)

And dont forget the option to "rent" a helper! We got about 5 persons, including me, who would explain new players stuff about DB, train them the basics/hints etc.

About the advertising i do that myself on publics and on sundays of course i speak to players if they m8 interested.

ITS NOT THE BEST THING BUT IF YOU STILL DONT THINK THAT THIS COULD HELP -> AT LEAST ITS FUN FOR MUCH PLAYERS WHO LIKE DB. (more players=good, more players havin fun @ 5on5 = more @ dbpickupchan maybe).

Damn i suck at writing this but at least i can express myself :noob:

Kerm
The_One

Post by The_One »

It's good that you are trying somthing. I just feel that the first day or so is the most important time for a new player and this scheme won't help with that.
StRaFe

Post by StRaFe »

^^. Let them get on with it :D
The_One

Post by The_One »

Well I can't stop them can I? :p
StRaFe

Post by StRaFe »

Nah....:rolleyes:
The_One

Post by The_One »

Nice to end in agreement. :D
Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

The_One wrote: It's good that you are trying somthing. I just feel that the first day or so is the most important time for a new player and this scheme won't help with that.

I see no way to prevent new players from getting flamed by other players. (24h job of administrating servers and kicking flamers would help maybe :D )The best idear i can think of atm is making a "tutorial" for deathball (like the introduction to CTF/Bombingrun).
The_One

Post by The_One »

That would be a good idea.

An interactive tutorial has been talked about before but never happend. I would think about coding one if I had any knowledge of UScript. I don't know who's currently about that could do it.
Messy

Post by Messy »

There's already a voice-over for it tbh. :o
Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

yea well the one video you can download is quite ok, but you have to download it which is the problem. (they wont really do it) And it could be better also. (DavidM did it in a Day as far as i know, just a quick compact noob-help-video)
*LeC*23*

Post by *LeC*23* »

best would be a "website singeup for matches" where you can add your self

Problem is solved.

\o/
Shinobi

Re: [ Public DB "Event" 20:00 CET on Sundays ]

Post by Shinobi »

zzzzz
The_One

Re: [ Public DB "Event" 20:00 CET on Sundays ]

Post by The_One »