Death of GameServers - new host for forum?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

beefsack

Death of GameServers - new host for forum?

Post by beefsack »

GameServers is closing its doors and it would be a shame to let DB forums just disappear, need an alternate host...

Apparently GameServers forums will be closed in a few days :s
The_One

Post by The_One »

That is pretty tragic...
sciep

Post by sciep »

You peepz only need a forum? Maybe I can create a place for you. Contact me at Http://exgs.sciep.nl/forum/index.php
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

No way to just copy over everything somewhere? I still have too much unused webspace left..
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

Yeah a snapshot would be handy, I've got about a TB left of transfer each month on my reseller hosting so hosting isn't really a big problem...

I get the gut feeling that the message up at http://www.gameservers.net has been up for quite a while too having a look at the gameservers threads. Not sure when things are actually going to go down :s If we want a snapshot though the forum admins would be the only ones to do it if any are still around :(
Imo

Post by Imo »

any idea what's happening to GameServers.net and why they are closing?

The say they are just going to focus on their hosting, are they liquidweb or someone that uses liquidweb?

Imo
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

Love the lack of information :s
cyphun

Post by cyphun »

Note sure if the forum hosting was figured out, but I would be willing to help. The way I see it, we have a few options:
  1. Host a free forum solution (like phpBB) from the deathball website
  2. I, or someone else, could host forums somewhere from their host, I know I have the space and bandwidth to do it
  3. Look at another free forum host, did a Google search for, 'free forum host' came up with a lot of hits
    [/list=1]

I am rooting around my boxes (I'm in the middle of moving) looking for my copy of UT2004 so I can install DB and play it again, I would love to see this game continue on.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Seems the GameServers logo has stopped working at the top of forum pages. The end must be close. :'(
Suprano

Post by Suprano »

Well, has someone access to the database?

--Marenz
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Don't worry, I'll handle it.
beefsack

Re: Death of GameServers - new host for forum?

Post by beefsack »

Looks like it's been handled, the new forum looks good. Now we just need a new standalone Deathball to go with the forum.

Loading up deathball.net though it looks like the page has had some nice injected JavaScript. Had that happen to my sites last year it's a pain in the ass, visiting the main page at the moment makes my AV pop up citing some dodgy JavaScript.