If you build it, they will come. Years later, I still have t

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

[V3]Optimal

If you build it, they will come. Years later, I still have t

Post by [V3]Optimal »

Deathball was one of the best mods ever created for a pc game. It was new, exciting, and just fucking fun. There was no better feeling in terms of gaming than being boosted down the field, then scoring a mid air volley passed a goal keeper. At least 3 plays out of a game deserved to be aired on ESPN for weekly highlights.

I remember when DB FIRST came out. I played on Fooman's server, with Foo and some other random people. The first time I booted it up, it was a nasty addiction.

I remember playing a game in one of the early versions of DB, way before it picked up into popularity. I stopped with the ball in possession, and announced to the other team that I was going to just walk it right into their goal. I get down the field, and did just that. It was hilarious, and very rewarding. From then on, I knew I was a DB addict.

I had the chance to watch the US community grow. I watched the power shift from clan to clan, player to player. It was exciting, L7 had domination, Rush had domination, V3 utter domination, at least at some point in time, every clan had domination. Watching players trade from team to team was like a professional free agency.

Every player had to have a role in the game. Whenever I stepped on the field, my favorite role was to develop a play. I felt like I could set a volley way better than any other player could, even if I was bouncing it off a wall to myself, then volleying it to a team mate.

So many other people had break out play styles. xelent was just nasty at putting the ball in the net. Prank.. Fucking Prank, I remember the battles Prank and I would have in SmallCube with Volley Only. We'd each light the scoreboards up, and if by chance we ever got put on the same team, the other team had zero chance of winning.

Bodom was another one of my Favs, JJSupah early in DB at goal keeping, Sin at defense, even though he never spoke on TS so we all figured he was just some sort of fag with a girly voice too scared to reveal it.

Insane was like Prank Jr, he was definitely up and coming. There were just way too many players out there with skill to name off. You could make multiple winning teams if you rearranged teams over and over again.

The community was an interesting one, it was small but organized. Even when life had developed on me, and I got married, I came back and saw people were still around, YEARS after playing. That says a lot for a community.

To not see DB freshly laid out on UT3 is almost a crime. Maybe I speak for myself, but when I'm sitting at work, I'd love to know that after I got home and did the whole family thing, I could boot up into a brand new Deathball in ut3 and see some old names and score some stylish goals just like I did with them half a decade ago.

DavidM, this is your game, your baby. Ut3 may be dead, but I think you could resurrect part of the community with a UT3 DB, with similar gameplay to early builds of DB. From there, maybe people passing by might get involved again, or new players might stick to it.

We need less World of Warcraft, and more DB. Don't lie either, I know half the community is playing that life drainer.

One more thing, for anyone who remembers me. Here's a pic of me getting married to my beautiful wife. As much as we made fun of euros with Deez to keep the battle going, I ended up marrying a girl from the Netherlands, LOL. Life is pretty good right now, I hope all of yours is just as good.

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... wn1ne3.jpg
Last edited by [V3]Optimal on 16-09-2008 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Hello Sir,
Thanks for letting me read this!

The thing is, a conversion to UT3 is a lot of work. And the question is...how does the game itself benefit from it?
Maybe some new players, maybe not? But that's it.
The game is still super hot as it is in UT2004. We've also fixed like all bugs now.
You know, we've been carrying several little annoying bugs around for years...like not being able to release the ball...or the hammer refusing to work and so on.
Now we are playing the same version for 9 months already, and there is nothing to complain about. :)

People can get back at any time, they only need to drop the "I will return when the others are back"-mentality, because that won't work. ;)

Also UT2004 costs like nothing now!

And keep in mind that Deathball was so huge on DB at first, because it was the only mod there basically for like a year. Then the typical old shooter stuff started pouring in and we had less and less players because of that.

You know my plan is to release this baby standalone. But the time is just not right yet. The publishers don't get it!
They don't bother playing it, but watching it, they just have no clue what this is supposed to be. It's still after 6 years too new and revolutionary. I have no other idea why they don't get it. Actually they should be killing themselves to be the first to bring this out, we here all know this for fact, I believe.

The thing is, these bosses that make the decisions just care for money. If I bring them a mix of some WW2 stuff (based on the usual fake history, written by the winners....sorry, had to throw this in :D) and WOW and whatever, they have me producing this with mighty budgets.
But for Supraball/Deathball they are too stingy, while they give 10s of millions of euros to uninspired crap productions. :P

It needs some major idea on how to make them realise, what this actually is.

♥ ♥ ♥
The_One

Post by The_One »

Maybe you need to talk their language.

(cue probable bollocks)
Rather than selling it as 'just' a game you might need to build up a picture of worldwide leagues with thousands of teams paying to compete. Not forgetting the advertising on the stadium hoardings. I bet they'd love that idea. :D

A really flash demo, with football style presentation etc, wouldn't hurt. Heck, a mod for a game using a current engine wouldn't hurt either (hint hint). >.> :p

Or...try getting a loan from a bank to get it started. Or...get a load of credit cards. (OK, this may be a short cut to financial ruin x))

Yup. Can't fail.
(end probable bollocks)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

They know about the league and advertising ideas etc.
One look at the idea was all. They don't care. They don't get it yet.

Banks? I'm not doing anything with criminals and terrorists.
Last edited by DavidM on 23-09-2008 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
[V3]Optimal

Post by [V3]Optimal »

I loved the ww2 line DavidM, that couldn't be any more true. I've been saying that for years, watching all these ww2 games and mods just flooding the scene.

If you need the support of investors, it's just too bad they couldn't see the game about a year after it came out. You probably would've had a good chance.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I don't think so. Even now it's still too early.

Now I watch Fifa2009 allowing aiming via mouse for the first time, what a nice development....only that it's still a long way to go to the real deal that we had 6 years ago. Well, one day...one day! :D
[-SoP-]ATB

Post by [-SoP-]ATB »

No matter what publisher you go to, they all have the same initial approach to how they do things... Of course #1 goal for them is making money. That's what any and all publishers do.

You need to make a design document that you know is going to Wow them. A feature list so absurdly long, why the game will have so much replay value. As the game is now, everything is so generic and bland, of course publishers aren't even going to think twice about the game. Throw some originality in the art. Vary up the movements of the players currently as they stand it's just a ut model in disguise.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you the game isn't fun because it is, however, there just isn't enough to it to be able to draw any publishers attention. Yet..

The game itself could be nothing more than a downloadable game for a console. Maybe..

Also.. HI OPTI!!!
Last edited by [-SoP-]ATB on 02-10-2008 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

I always thought of myself as more of the godfather at keeping but you went MIA when I did finally learn to keep properly :) but I'll take a "prank jr"

It's always nice to come back to these boards and see the good old days. Many of us have moved on with our lives. Congrats on getting married Opt :P

I'm going to med school next year and I'll start my life soon enough.

Like many of you, I'd love to play some DB again. I still have ut2k4 installed on my computer.
Messy

Post by Messy »

*sniff*

I miss you gays..

ps: Nice dutch chick you've got there opti!
Last edited by Messy on 25-10-2008 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Kak0

Post by Kak0 »

The thing is, these bosses that make the decisions just care for money. If I bring them a mix of some WW2 stuff (based on the usual fake history, written by the winners....sorry, had to throw this in ) and WOW and whatever, they have me producing this with mighty budgets.
But for Supraball/Deathball they are too stingy, while they give 10s of millions of euros to uninspired crap productions. :P
It seems hard to transform DeathBall in an WW2 universe... but what about Heroic Fantasy ?

Don' t shout at me I just want to give some ideas so that the game can release stand alone. As you said, Producers want money. So they look at what is going well nowadays, in order to attract as many players ( clients ) as they can. And what is working nowadays ? Read my lips : Heroic Fantasy. World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, BloodBowl... this universe represents a mighty pool of clients, and I' m sure that producers would pay more attention about it. I' m also sure you can do great game with orcs and stuff, without even touch the gameplay. It' s all about skin...

On the other hand, the "Futurist" universe is maybe about to developp itself in 2009... Starcraft 2, Star Trek Online, Star Wars : The Old Republic... Maybe this games will show producers that this universe can bring them a lot of fucking bucks. But you' ll need to review the skins anyway, to make it more pleasant to see...

Anyway, if you want publishers to pay attention to your game, begin with a nice appearance... I know it' s dumb to limit his view on skins, but it' s how game industry works nowadays...

I really hope this mod will go stand alone soon. I can' t wait for it. By the way, are there still some servers where I can play DB ? It seems to me that the community isn' t dead yet, I plan to buy UT2k4 back, will I be able to play DB again ?
Last edited by Kak0 on 29-10-2008 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
XiD

Post by XiD »

optimal, if you are still itching for some deathball, or just want to chat to the absolutely pathetic remnant of whats left of the community, come hit the NA community up at #db3v3 and/or #radical on irc.quakenet.org.
night

Re: If you build it, they will come. Years later, I still ha

Post by night »

[V3]Optimal wrote: *snip*

damn, i havent been here in forever but that sure brings back some memories.

and you didn't mention -NS- :cry:
InSaNe`

Re: If you build it, they will come. Years later, I still ha

Post by InSaNe` »

night wrote:
[V3]Optimal wrote: *snip*

damn, i havent been here in forever but that sure brings back some memories.

and you didn't mention -NS- :cry:
Wow, spank my ass and call me a cowboy, night! The original creator of NS if I'm not mistaken :P

Drop by IRC hah, you won't recognize many, but it'd be nice to see some old guys!

irc.quakenet.org #db3v3 and #radical