DB-Sliderz (beta)

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

fro

Post by fro »

ahah, this is all kinds of awesome. its pretty random gameplay wise, but good for a laugh!

now the crit part: you are missing replay cameras and post sounds and the radar is a little out.

as for the flickering, im no expert but from what i can glean from the colors.u file, it seems you are spawning DXT1 textures to the canvas and letting the engine do the opacity stuff in a hacky manner. id wander if you would run into the same problem using a alpha enabled finalblend (you can probably package that up in mylevel and call that instead of the white tex from ucgeneric. edit: i dont know if that would make a difference or not :D

did notice that the disco texture is massive large, which squeezes the filesize up, you could try a smaller texture, and use a textscaler to get the same effect.

some good things in there tho, it makes a change from the more serious esque maps we have :)
zupermanzito

Post by zupermanzito »

i had the same map idea, thats cool i mean i dont map i really suck at it.. so i was trying to get a mapperslave (joking) in order to do that...
Larch

Post by Larch »

mapperslave lol

About the critics :
I havent realised myself the colours mutator, one of my friend did, I know about the bug when the player is hit, I will ask him if he can solve this problem.

And yes, the disco texture is pretty huge, but I still have some difficulties using projectors^^ I will modify it.

Oh and the radar : it so difficult to set it up (not the aplha tex, this is the easiest part). I have a lot of problems with the exact location. If you pay attention to the radar map, you will notice that the location is stretched between X and Y axis.

I will add in the final release spot hit sounds, and scoring events (sounds and emitters). I will add the replay cameras too.
Thanks for the feedback.

As I have holidays, I ll be away from any internet connection even if I will bring my pc with me (for both work and ut :) ). I mean I will continue working on this map, but it would be available later (so you have to wait before next release !)
The current release is available during one week.
fro

Post by fro »

re the radar thing, that warping is due to the radar coordinates not being equal.

RadarWorldCoordinates=(Left=864.000000,Top=-768.000000,Right=-3232.000000,Bottom=-4864.000000)

checking the official maps, they usually are equal, so it pivots square if you get what i mean!
Larch

Post by Larch »

Hi all am back from my holiday week at sea (with a horrible weather^^)

Well during this time I have been working a lot on DB-Sliderz, it is close to be released. I'll post it soon at mapraider's

Oh and btw I have been working on another map too, DB-Autobahn (inspired of my own BR-Autobahn map, but it is not a simple conversion, in fact it is not the same map at all, only the Autobahn concept is the same)
I made a SE of DB-Autobahn, it is a laggy version of the original one, with powerfull weather effects (using advanced emitters instead of xwe), but I dont think I will release it, or maybe for mappers only (it contains some interesting mapping stuffs)

I'll keep you informed, I hope DB-Sliderz will come this week (a few things left to be modified), and for the moment DB-Autobahn hasnt any release date yet :)
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

good stuff :o
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

If your map center is 0,0 and your radar is a square that is centered over your map, then your numbers will all be the same (+ or -)

If your map isn't centered at 0,0 then you numbers will be different.

If the picture you took to make your radar wasn't centered over your map, then that could be your problem.

Based on Fro's info.

Left 864 to Right -3232 = 4096 units
Bottom -4864 to Top -768 = 4096 units
^ thats square with a map center of -2816, -1184

My guess would be the picture you took to make your radar wasn't centered.
Larch

Post by Larch »

It's ok, the radar works fine :)
In fact the map center is not 0,0 and the picture I took wasnt centered too^^ as you can guess I had a lot of difficulties to set it up properly

Same problem with the other new map, but it seems ok too
Thanks for the tip

edit : and both maps are not square
Last edited by Larch on 05-03-2007 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Larch wrote: edit : and both maps are not square

It's the picture texture that's square (normaly 512x512) . The numbers you use are the edges of the picture you took.

-use a bigger grid size to set up your screenshot so you can center it. - place an actor (like a light bulb)on the grid lines that mark the edge of your texture to get your numbers then, delete the actor.
Larch

Post by Larch »

ok ok all works fine :)
Of course the textures are square^^ I thought you were talking about the maps surface but dont worry, I modified the numbers and it's ok now
Larch

Post by Larch »

sorry for this double post...

YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED !
DB-SLIDERZ FINAL !
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I suspect you are new to level design :)
Because newbies always have to use the fancy light effects and all that....I remember my very first stuff..... disco \o/

Well...go subtle with effects.
I wrote some lighting and other design tutorials long years ago if you are interested in some basic thoughts: http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/ ... orials.htm
the lowest link is wrong and is now: http://deathball.net/mapping/

The curvy ground doesn't work well with DB. It makes it all pretty random and inaccurate, but you probably noticed this. If you have to make things round do it outside of the gameplay area IMO.
Larch

Post by Larch »

wow the great DavidM :) nice to meet you

well I am creating maps since 2 years, essenyially for the Chaos mod. This map was designed for the Chaos Duel gametype, I converted it for DB (and added a lot of new stuff too).
As you see I am not really a newbie.

About the lighting effects on the ground : the unreal engine has disabled this function (it was useable in the old UT) cause it kills the performances of the pc^^ well I simply placed it there for the ball location.

And concerning the gameplay, I know this kind of map doesnt correspond to DB gameplay because it makes the game pretty random and inaccurate as you said, well isnt that funny ? :D
Especially when you are playing drunk with your buddies in a lan at 3:00 AM (you can trust me, this is awsome...)

Oh and btw I really like special lighting effects ; I am creating a new map for the ut2004 DM that takes places in an abandonned factory. Am using flickering light effects to make the players feel the ambiance. I will send you some screenies to show you about my mapping skills (as the maps isnt ready yet)

edit : this DB map is my first attempt to create something for DB, in fact I belong to Chaos :devil: I mean you will never see other DB maps from me in the future, but I love DB. So keep going, hope to see this crazy mod for ut3

edit2 : here are a few screenshots of my work in progress. All my maps are at mapraider's in the ut2004 ChaosUT map list.
screenshot#1
screenshot#2
screenshot#3
Last edited by Larch on 17-03-2007 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

Hey's

i and alot of my mates saw that map and downloaded it \o/ for some gaming, it looks really cool and seems like fun!

But i also have to say that its only a funmap that can be played from time to time. Its ok for 1on1 or 2on2 funmatches in my opinion but for everything else to spammy and tiny.

Anyways, DB needs more maps so i support everyone who trys to make them (becasue its very hard to make them playablewise good!) :p

So keep on DB Mapping :D
Last edited by Ker]v[et on 19-03-2007 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Larch

Post by Larch »

Thank you for your reply
as you say, it is just a map that can be played from time to time, spammy and tiny, just for laughing \o/

I will not definitely stop to create maps for deathball of course even if I have mentionned in my last post there wont be any DB maps from me in the future bla bla
I use to try any mod that sounds interesting to me, and if this is the case, I usually make one map for it (rarely more)

I have made 1 map for Unwheel, 1 map for Strike Force, 1 for Domain, I am currently working on an official map for the SGSUF mod (I will create only one map), but alot for Chaos (more than 15 if I remember correctly)
And also 1 for deathball
This is my way of mapping, trying to understand how all of this stuff works...

I am finishing at the moment my second and maybe last map for deathball, but it is far more unplayable than DB-Sliderz, that's why I will probably not release it.