Meeting notprOners

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

Well, yeah, meeting in smaller groups with only people you know and have talked to in the forum is much easier ... and it's probably more likely to be fun too. :)

If we had a meeting in Kalmar, though, we could have it in the castle, that would be great. ;) In the throne room. :D

Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

OK, let's at least try to make this a bit more serious, shall we? It's probably pointless and futile and all, but you can't blame me for trying anyway.

The important question is, does anyone here want to meet me in "real life"? I would certainly not travel far to meet someone who doesn't want to meet me. :)

I know at least five or six I would like to meet from here, I'm sorry to say, though, that two of them are very seldom online anymore, if at all, and two are from USA which is a bit far away.

If I find someone interested we can talk about the location and the time through PM.

If, however unlikely, there will be a meeting, the following things are sure ways of making me not attend to it, however, I wish those there the best of fun. ;)

1 If the meeting consists of more people than three, including me. Yes, a rather small one, cause I'm pretty shy, and in big groups I'm often just silent and listen to what the rest are saying instead. Sad, indeed, but it's the way I am. Not worth paying for a trip and just be silent according to me. :)

2 The meeting should only consist of people I know and have talked with on the forum or by PM. If there are people I only barely know, I will definitely not attend. Not someone I have just helped solve some levels, either. ;)

3 If the meeting is located far from Sweden, and absolutely if it is outside of Europe I will not attend.

OK; I will probably be offline for some hours now, and when I get back it will be interesting to see if there's any interest here, or if there are no responses at all. I don't know what I expect. Remember, just people I know, though.
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

Oh, OK, no one wants to meet me, I suppose that was to be expected. At least I tried...
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

Actually, it is Sunday, and on Sundays, you usually don't have that many people here.

And I didn't post because I don't have any free days left, neither this year, nor next year, the few days I had are already used for other stuff ...
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

Well, too bad.
Though, I find it very unlikely that there will be anything out of this, Sunday or not, it was improbable from the beginning, and with you out of it is near to impossible. Mainly because the people I would pay an airplane ticket to meet can be easily counted with the fingers of my left hand, and some of them are just living too far from here to be even considered. I suppose there's still a small chance, but ... nah, don't think so.

Anyway, it was a good try, in my opinion. :)
Last edited by Shenmue on 03-12-2006 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
encalien

Post by encalien »

all right, im kinda new to this forum (only been here for a cuple of days) so i haven't really "met" anyone throu pm or any other way. therefore i imagine this meeting a bit different. first, as i see it, there is quite a difference between "meeting with some (2 or 3) friends you made here" and a "notproners meeting".
the first thing can be arranged separately between friends, and has nothing to do with comunity (or whatewer ar we :))
the second thing thou, i imagine to be a bit bigger (i'm not saying for hundreds) but maybe for 20 or 30 people. i believe the point of having a "notproners meeting" is to meet notproners, not just your friends. and possibly meet new people, you know in advance you have at least one thing in common.
as for meeting through pm, many people don't post enough (or nothing at all) so they won't get my attention, and i wont bother pm them, and vice versa (i see no particular reason, why would anyone want to pm me) but if we meet in RL this could be a chance to actually "present yourself" and find some new friends... however, as i said, that doesn't mean all notproners have to meet at once. this would be too difficult. i'm just saying that we should try to arrange several meetings in different places at different times, so anybody would have a chance to come at least once. i think that would be great
of course, meeting small grup of friends that do notpron is always an option :)

wow, i really did write a lot.. wonder if anyone's gonna read it :P
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

The point is, if anyone would arrange a big meeting, he or she would have to pay alot (location, maybe catering, places for sleeping) time, effort and/or money BEFORE the meeting even starts. Would you really do that?
That's why small meetings should be easier to handle.
encalien

Post by encalien »

if i was to arrange a meeting i my own country, i would. firstly becouse everyone has already to pay for the flight (or train or gas..) and sleeping arrangement, so i would pay the organising of the meeting (place, catering,..) and i would have thought of it as my attribute so the meeting can be hold (since i wouldn't have to pay for the trip itself). it would be even easier if e.g. everyone who is to come would spare 1 euro or so, wich i believe is nothing of a fee.. therefore we would be able to hold this meeting in a bit better place, instead of an old house with no roof :;)
but i couldn't arrange a meeting outside of my country even if i had money, so the responsibility lyes on those, who are inhabitants of selected country and possibly live close to the selected place. i understand that some countries are more expensive than others, therefore i assume a contribution would be more "needed" in places like in uk, than in (south)eastern europe.
i am sure that if we would really want to arrange it we could. the easiest way would be to start in the country from which are most notproners. (because the organisation could be split between many people, and therfore wouldn't depend on just one single person efforts and abilities)
if it is to be in my country i am prepared to take the responsibility, if it is to be somewhere else (like germany) i would try to help as much as i can to make it happen.
=)
i really hope we will get this project going :)
i was really looking forward of meeting all of you, when i read the thread :)
encalien

Post by encalien »

and yes, i agree that small meetings are easier to handle (or at least should be), but that's also the reason why should they be handled between the very grups of friends (on messenger or pm) not like this on forum, because it makes no sence, telling your plans to everybody if you intend to invite only 2 of them. i understand the thread was started with the idea of "big" meetings :)
starter - correct me if i'm wrong
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

(...)and yes, i agree that small meetings are easier to handle (or at least should be), but that's also the reason why should they be handled between the very grups of friends (on messenger or pm) not like this on forum, because it makes no sence, telling your plans to everybody if you intend to invite only 2 of them.
Ok, I suppose that's directed against me. As I've already written; my thought was to use the forum to find out which was interested, and then go through the planning on PM. I can't see any harm in using this thread for this, since the name of it is "Meeting NotprOners", which pretty much is what it all was about. I can't imagine it being better to create a totally new thread for it.

As for a big notpron meeting with 20 or 30 people. Nah, I'm sceptical, first because of a reason I've already mentioned, and secondly because if I wanted to meet a lot of people I don't know, I might as well go outside and start talking to the people in the nearest park. A lot cheaper too.

I prefer meeting friends.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

I might be interested, except that I live in the US, and I don't want to travel far. I'm also fifteen and I don't expect my parents to be too willing to let me meet people from online. ;)
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

Actually, there are quite a lot notpronner from the USA ;) Meet them :)

That's the problem nowadays: The internet makes the world seemingly small, but when it comes to meeting people, every kilometer to travel costs too much. Someone should work on those star trek technologies like creating huge amounts of energy and "beaming" with which you can use that energy :D
encalien

Post by encalien »

Shenmue wrote: Ok, I suppose that's directed against me.

i'm sorry if it sounded like that, it wasn't directed against anyone. and i also didn't say you shouldn't use the thread, only that it wouldn't be needed if it was only between friends. i appoligise for the misunderstanding
i guess i just feel left out becouse this way i couldn't meet anyone (if it's just between friends), since i'm not good at making friends online as i don't trust the internet image =)
Kisa

Post by Kisa »

If I never trusted any "internet image", I'd never have met Jooly, and I'd never have realized what a great person she is.
And that would have been a shame, really.
jooly

Post by jooly »

Aww, thanks dear :) . We had fun times both in London and Germany! Really nice to make a close real life friend on t'internet. Plus I met both Garg and Stav, and they weren't rapists or anything. Actually, they were just like their internet images!

I should post some images of Kisa and I galavanting around in Dusseldorf etc as soon as I get them off my camera.