A Music thread

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, amh

meep98324

Post by meep98324 »

You definately were, that must have been great growing up there. I live in NYC, but, surprisingly I don't know that many kids who have a passion for playing music. From what I've gathered of my generation, we seem to have a passion for sports and vegging out, one or the other. I'm glad that I'm a trackie, don't know what I'd do with myself if I was in bad shape. Still, I definately envy you, because music is a big part of my life. Did knowing all those people influence you as a person?
veryhardgame

Post by veryhardgame »

My list: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Motley Crue, Nine Inch Nails, Kiss, Megadeth, Godsmack, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Pantera, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, Dio, Judas Preist, Nickelback, Van Halen. I don't know if I missed any.
frkyjenn

Post by frkyjenn »

I can't say that it was "great" growing up here. It's a very depressed area.. but it's home and I like it. :)

Kurt was a good kid in a troubled way. If that makes any sense at all.

Was I influenced by knowing them? Nah.. they were friends not icons when I knew them. I lost touch with Kurt when he went to Seattle (before making it big). I still have contact on occasion with Krist--he still has ties to our area. As far as the Melvins. Haven't seen them since.. oh 1984, I believe, when the left for Seattle. Holy Christ.. that's 21 years.
My how time flies!

I have fond memories of those times.. when they/we were just little hoodlums (as the neighbors called all of us) making to much noise in the garage. I still have a guitar string and an autographed yearbook picture of Kurt (it says something about holding on to it.. because someday it would be worth big money. Who knew he was correct. )

*sigh* Thanks for the memories ;)
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

Just dug this one out again ^^

Still FAR too many to list all, but at the moment some of my favs are:

Jack Johnson :D <3 , Jimi Hendrix , Jamie Cullum , Joss Stone , The Killers , Pink Floyd , Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Aerosmith, KT Tunstall, Snow Patrol .......

that's just a FEW , I could list them all but it would take far too long :)
Last edited by BunnyS on 13-01-2006 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Runa

Post by Runa »

my list... :lol:

Iron Maiden, Helloween, Manowar, GammaRay, Rhapsody, Bruce Dickinson, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Kiss, Cirith Ungol, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Stratovarius, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Cradle Of Filth, Avantasia pt1, Luca Turilli, Stormwarrior, Haggard, Epidemia, Freedom Call, EdGuy, Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Borknagar, Within Temptation, Nocturnal Rites, Hollenthon, Cryonic Temple, Almora, Lordi, Elis, Powerwolf, Persefone, Sirenia, Dargaard, The Gathering, Leaves' Eyes, Lullacry, Thalion, Korpiklaani, Epica, Beto Vazquez Infinity...
and Davide Van de Sfroos, Treves Blues Band and some other little italian groups...
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

it's hard to list them isn't it ? lol
Runa

Post by Runa »

BunnyS wrote: it's hard to list them isn't it ? lol

and I cry for more :D
Futile

Post by Futile »

omg, jenn, you knew kurt cobain? he hung out at your house!!!?? can i touch you??

// huge fan of nirvana.
/// give us some stories jenn!!!
andyfrank

Post by andyfrank »

Herman Li + Gutair = Dragonforce

go to http://www.dragonforce.com for free songs. You'll be hooked in minutes.
Frunobulax

Post by Frunobulax »

Well, the username shows my love of Zappa/The Mothers/The Mothers Of Invention. Also a Pink Floyd, Beatles, Rush, Drums & Tuba, Ani DiFranco, Built To Spill, of Montreal, Grizzly Bear, Stravinsky, Varese, Steve Reich, Captain Beefheart, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, DEVO, and many many many others fan.
Squibbit

Post by Squibbit »

Am loving Muse, Foo Fighters, Chilis, Faithless, Arctic Monkeys, Fratellis to name just one or two! Loved Pink Flloyd too as many others seem to, was lucky enough to see them last year at Live8 :D Have seen the others above too in the past year or so, but by far the most mental gig was Feeder whose fans appear to have a screw or two loose! I love hard rock bordering on metal live, but I refuse to be bound by genre.

(I am a 31 year old mother of a secondary school student)

Oh and Green Day, I love Green Day - they are amazing live
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

OK, I thought I should write something here. I will try to keep it short, very uncertain if I will succeed in that, though. :)

I see that we have quite a few metal-lovers here ... well, I can't say I dislike metal, but it has never meant anything to me. I would rather say that I like the opposite; calm and emotional melodies. As one person might already have noticed on this forum. ;)

It is pretty funny; when I was younger I liked Eminen. Honestly, I hate Hip Hop now. And I began to wonder ... why? It might have to do with this pathetic gangsta mentality which really irritates me a lot. Or maybe that they swear all the time. Oh, and the videos, I do like girls, but when they in bikinis dance around a fat man who is wearing ten thousands of rings and necklaces ... well, it just gives me a bad taste in the mouth. Oh, yeah, I was supposed to keep it short, almost forgot it there for a second. ;)

Yep, calm and emotional things. Listing all my favorites would be a pretty tedious history. But what I like at the moment is Rihannas Unfaithful; which really touches me. And Shayne Wards No Promises is a good one too.

Oh, and I heard a classic one yesterday, to the moon and back by Savage garden, from 1997 I think. I really, really like that one.

U2, REM, Robbie Williams and Kent (a Swedish group which none of you probably have heard of) are enjoyable too. My musical taste is pretty normal and so, nothing different. I hate country, and happy joyous melodies.

Uh, this wasn't short. I would need an editor here on this forum. :D
Last edited by Shenmue on 30-09-2006 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
ThE eUrOdAnCe LoVeR

Post by ThE eUrOdAnCe LoVeR »

My (huge & incomplete) list :

2 Brothers On The 4th Floor, 2 Unlimited, Ace of Base, BG The Prince of Rap, Bad Boys Blue, Base Project, Basic Element, Bass Bumpers/Damage Control/Adrima/Voodoo & Serano, Blue System, Blümchen, Capital Sound, Cappella, Captain Hollywood Project, Caramell, Cartouche, Cascada, Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo, Chipz, Crispy, Culture Beat, Cut 'N' Move, Da Blitz, Datura, Dune, E-Type, Einstein Doctor Deejay, The Free (*), Fun Factory, Future Beat, General Base/Red 5, Gigi D'agostino, Hit 'N' Hide, Ice MC, Jam & Spoon, LOFT, Magic Affair, Masterboy, (MC Sar &) the Real McCoy, Melodie MC, Modern Talking, Movetron, Mr. President, N-Trance, Nightcrawlers, Novaspace, Onda Del Futuro, Pandera, Prezioso feat. Marvin, Q-Pow!, Rexanthony, RMB, Rob 'N' Raz, Sash!, Solid Base, The Soundlovers, Stanley Foort, Technotronic, U.S.U.R.A., Whigfield... not counting the dozens of small projects such as Black 4 White, High Score, Ten Minutes or Echo Bass :)

(*) : When I say "The Free" I'm talking about the project which did tracks such as "Lover on the line" or "Born crazy", not the one that did "All Right Now"

I love eurodance, why do you think I have that nick ? Wait... you think it sucks ? Well... I don't care. I like it anyway :lol:
Shenmue
Certified Finisher

Post by Shenmue »

Uh, so many names and I only recognize six of them. :(

But I do think Cascada is pretty good. Everytime we touch, anyway. But I don't like the disco version of it. :)

Oh, you like E-type, they are Swedish you know. :)
Last edited by Shenmue on 30-09-2006 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
ThE eUrOdAnCe LoVeR

Post by ThE eUrOdAnCe LoVeR »

Shenmue wrote: Oh, you like E-type, they are Swedish you know. :)

Yes, I knew it :) Some others such as Solid Base or Rob 'N' Raz are Swedish too. It's normal if you don't know them, because they are not very well known, but they are among my faves, especially SB :p