A n00b-ish player's Opinion

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Tankazz

A n00b-ish player's Opinion

Post by Tankazz »

I read all this crap about 1.7 being good or not good, how some features are missed and gladly tossed, etc. Im not new to the game, (although I don't play it extensively). My skill is fairly hindered because of my 56k connection (yeah yeah, I'm working on it), so It often appears that I suck in-game.

Anyway, I think 1.7 is very good, although I do believe some work can still be done to it.
(If any of this info is erroneous, please tell me (I installed 1.7 directly over 1.6, so i think that may have screwed some things up))

1: I think there should be a much more noticable 'action' for when you're hit. In 1.6, when you were hit, you knew it. In 1.7, you hardly can tell you've been hit until it's too late.
2: As a sporadic keeper (I'm often horrible at it cuz of my 56k), I enjoyed being able to hear the charge sound, I think it should be raised a little (maybe not AS loud as 1.6, but a little louder)
3: I don't think keepers should get quad-jumps (that or somehow make keepers fall back, quicker)
4: Return dribbling, but don't allow the person who's dribbling to volley it themselves.
5: Lessen the effect of a keeper's dodge (shorten their dodge distance)

Other than these things that I've run across, I think 1.7 is a good improvement over 1.6, encouraging more teamplay and such.

Sure, I may not have any pull in this community, but I try my best when I play in public servers. And I promise I'll get cable soon, so I can actually volley effectively :confused:
vF_Zonk

Post by vF_Zonk »

i disagree with 1, 3, 4, and 5 :|

1 = it seems just as noticeable to me
3 = i think it's better. but maybe it shold be 3 jumps...hmmm.....
4 = i always hated dribbling
5 = why?
Tankazz

Post by Tankazz »

Well, for #1, like I said, instlaling right over may have messed something up (I doubt it, but it's possible).

And for #5, because I think (even as)a keeper, that they can dodge-jump way too far.

Again, these are just opinions ;)
Large Potato

Post by Large Potato »

They have already tried #5 and it didnt work so well
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

#5 totally sucked :D
almost every (clanned) keeper was moaning about it ;)
DaJero

Post by DaJero »

Yes exactly, we only got negative comments about the Dodge width for keepers in the early 1.7 betas
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

The only thing that bugs me about jump dodge's distance is if I don't actually make the save; when the game resumes it will almost always throw someone else in net instead of me.
drifter

Post by drifter »

I disagree, the keepers jumps, speed and dodge length are fine.

From memory, (I'm at work atm) you will only jump out of the area if you are more than 1/2 way across the net and then "dodge jump" which I believe in a lot of scenario's means you could get to the ball anyway without dodge jumping… it just depends how close the attacker is and how you position yourself in the net.

+ It's just enough to get a reasonable distance out of the penalty area to claim a stray ball (or one that was destined for a goal hanger.)

4 jumps = about time, is all I can say... finally I can catch some of those "shot in the dark" back wall volleys people pin their attacking hopes on and also claiming the ball when it's crossed into the middle... essential. o/

EDIT: and you're all probably bored re: my rants about the chargeup sound, so I won't air my opinions on it again here.
Last edited by drifter on 04-07-2003 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
Still

Re: A n00b-ish player's Opinion

Post by Still »

Tankazz wrote:
5: Lessen the effect of a keeper's dodge (shorten their dodge distance)

:ban:
Instigator

Post by Instigator »

yeah, keepers dodge is just fine as it is:eek:
MeSSiaH{FCU}

Re: A n00b-ish player's Opinion

Post by MeSSiaH{FCU} »

Tankazz wrote: 2: As a sporadic keeper (I'm often horrible at it cuz of my 56k), I enjoyed being able to hear the charge sound, I think it should be raised a little (maybe not AS loud as 1.6, but a little louder)

Buying headphones (and actually plugging them in :D) helps alot. I can hear them perfectly like i did in 1.6 (altho i used regular speakers then).

Headphones have really made me improve, i can hear every important sound very well (and unfortunately cube's crowd i can hear to a painfull level). I've heard from other players with headphones they have the same, so i really suggest u buy a good set ^^; (ps: didnt u do some custom db map once? :eek: )
Tankazz

Re: Re: A n00b-ish player's Opinion

Post by Tankazz »

MeSSiaH{FCU} wrote: (ps: didnt u do some custom db map once? :eek: )
Yeah, I did a crappy little "warehouse" thing and a Vertical-styled blitzball map (both sucked ;)).

Another problem that (I) seem to have is that when I try to join a server, and it's full, I get knocked back to a regular ut2k3 server browser, have to cncel out and go back in to get the db one back.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

ya we dunno yet why you get always kicked back to ut2 menu

probably an epic bug