ipod.creatize zen

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

snackbar

ipod.creatize zen

Post by snackbar »

Hey guys, help me out on this one.
I'm thinking about getting an ipod or a creative zen instead of a new cd player to plug into my receiver at home. mp3s don't scratch, they are much more practical to store and CDs are kinda blowing out with the wind in the mp3 "revolution".
A 30gb can hold 300+ of my CDs and has plenty room to put more on.

I'm thinking more and more I should, but I want some opinions. Do you think this is a good idea, and if so do you recommend the ipod or the zen?
bloodeh

Post by bloodeh »

mp3 > cd-player as well...

I like my ipod (30gb, photo) - no problems and after some time i relaxed to use the software (itunes), too. So you have much more possibilities (to tabulate everything) and your much faster finding the music you want to hear.
Mighty Midget

Post by Mighty Midget »

If you're an audio freak, maybe (?) cds are better. The reason mp3 files are so small is because some frequencies were cut off, making them (according to those who claim to hear the difference) sound poorer than cds. But then again, the same was said about cds (vs vinyl).
meep98324

Post by meep98324 »

And it's true. I've listened to records, CD's, and mp3's, and you can tell a distinct difference, unless it's a really high quality (and large) mp3. But neither of them hold a candle to a record player.
speedy

Post by speedy »

zens are cheaper and maybe about the same quality
snackbar

Post by snackbar »

bloodeh wrote: mp3 > cd-player as well...

I like my ipod (30gb, photo) - no problems and after some time i relaxed to use the software (itunes), too. So you have much more possibilities (to tabulate everything) and your much faster finding the music you want to hear.

I heard the same thing about people not liking having to use the itunes? Is it really that annoying?
Can the zen use anything, wmp, win amp? or does it still have to use a specific software?

And one thing i was wondering, how many playlists can u compose and store on your ipod?
Messy

Post by Messy »

Creative Zen doesn't support lossless :<
Mighty Midget wrote: If you're an audio freak, maybe (?) cds are better.

I'm pretty sure you will hear the difference between cd and sacd, and indeed between 190 kbps (or higher, I challenge you ;p) mp3 and CD on a good set-up.

Of course there's the ideal analogue quality of vinyl, but you need a pretty strong set-up for the cons of vinyl to weigh up to the pros of it's quality (not to mention the fact that it's pretty hard to get decent vinyl nowadays, especially of newer music).
snackbar wrote: Is [/b][iTunes] really that annoying?

It's very userfriendly imo, especially editing various files at once etc. is done quite good..I think the only problem (which is a huge one imo) is that it uses up so much resources.
Another problem is that once you use an iPod specific format, it's hard to play them in other players (which use less resources). Some will need plug-ins, some can't be played at all (Apple Lossless can't be played in other applications because the code is apparently secret :().

snackbar wrote: And one thing i was wondering, how many playlists can u compose and store on your ipod?

I don't think they use a lot of space, so I'd say the amount is pretty much infinite?
Last edited by Messy on 07-06-2006 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
snackbar

Post by snackbar »

hmm, thanks guys.
I really don't know anything about these things.
The creative zen sounds like I might be better off getting that I heard from various sources.
I'll still have to get a receiver, but theres a simple sony one for $200 before taxes.
I'm going to ask my dad for a bit of a loan for the player though. I think I'm looking at a 60gb rather than a 30 which is almost $500.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Messy wrote: I'm pretty sure you will hear the difference between cd and sacd
Purlease. The only difference you could hear is the better mastering SACDs usually recieve. CD is more than enough for human ears.

Oh, and look into a Cowan iAudio X5. If not that, something with decent Rockbox support.
Last edited by The_One on 07-06-2006 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Messy

Post by Messy »

Hmm..although I'm pretty sure I don't have above-average hearing I had 9 out of 10 right in a little hearing test I did, comparing first SACD with CD (though indeed the mastering was kind of a problem there, even with picking the CDs..since the Dark Side of the Moon's 30th Anniversary Edition can be played on SACD and CD system..but the CD-side is mixed horribly, so I used the first Dark Side of the Moon CD version on CD and the 30th Anniversary Edition on SACD..which does indeed bring some changes in itself in terms of mixing :() and then Apple Lossless (played from an iPod) with CD, all through the same amp and speakers.

I only made one mistake where I mixed the CD's 'Us and Them' with that of the SACD.

Anyway, my conclusion is that everyone will most likely be able to hear it.
This is especially true with a Lossless format versus, say, your average 160 kbps MP3.

..of course this is less so when headphone or speaker (or even amplifier) quality decreases.

Oh and thanks for the Rockbox link.
I might just migrate to FLAC and try it :o
The_One

Post by The_One »

If only they'd take the same care in creating the CD and SACD (etc.) versions there would be no difference. Of course this wouldn't be in the record companies' financial interest.

WRT Rockbox:
That's the joy of lossless formats isn't it? Transcode away. Rockbox is worth it just for crossfeed and replaygain support imo.
Chrispan

Post by Chrispan »

i love my ipod nano

it fits into the strangest places
snackbar

Post by snackbar »

i stiill have to get a docking thing even with a receiver right?
bloodeh

Post by bloodeh »

You dont need it (neither i have it), but for the things you want to use it, its probably better. So you have better possibilitys loading it and using a remote control.
Last edited by bloodeh on 08-06-2006 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
BunnyS

Post by BunnyS »

I have been looking to get an mp3 player as well, I have read all the reviews on amazon and various other sites. From what I have heard and read about both of them, seems that Creative are supplying the same thing just a bit cheaper, if you're fussy and particular about sound then I wouldn't know what to technically suggest :) but otherwise go for the Zen I say. I will do when I get the cash and also I know I'm less liking to be robbed for it lol ..... but I guess you only think of these's things if you live in places like London ^^