Mapping guide

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

QBPaladin

Mapping guide

Post by QBPaladin »

I read through the mapping guide for the first time today (just found Deathball), and I'm interested in mapping. There are a few items I can't find any information on, and thought maybe the answers should be included in the guide. They mostly relate to scale.

What is a general size for a regular and small arena (like Cube and Small Cube)...what dimensions would the basic cube for the playfield be....just as a guideline?

What is good for the goal openning? Depth, or does depth not matter?

Is there a generic texture pack with field lines, goal lines, team symbols, etc. that mappers can use? If not, consider that a suggestion. ;-)

The guide divides the map into blue and red areas. Is it possible to have a neutral area? Does anything special need to be done to mark it, or can it just be left unmarked by a blocking volume?

Does the map support vertical dimensions, or does it only show activity as flat levels?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

feel free to rip the lines from cube

as for the size, just check the maps in the editor
neutral area would be where no red and no blue area is
but why would you need one?

what do you mean about vertical dimensions?
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

He's probably thinking of a non-flat map. ;)

QBPaladin, you'd better brace yourself for a heap of cack about how Flat=Good & Non-level playing field=The Spawn Of Satan. :eek: That's the idea you'll get from some of the responses... :p

Oh, the answer is Yes & No.
Yes you CAN have slopes, steps, raised areas, etc. but No there is no indication on any radar as to what 'floor' you, your team mates, opponents or the ball are on. Only the height difference between you and the ball.
QBPaladin

Post by QBPaladin »

Thanks.

Yes, I was thinking "non-flat map". I've actually got several map ideas, only one of which is non-flat. None of them are what I'd call standard... :devil:

I've got to get a few more of Tarquin's brush builders installed before I can start putting together some "proof of concept" maps to test with my friends before I build ones that look good.