1.6 server crashing

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

eNoS|S

1.6 server crashing

Post by eNoS|S »

I run a 1.6 server on a linux box.

When it's on DM/CTF/etc, it runs fine. When we play DB it crashes all the time! I'm talking about 3-7 crashes/hour!

So, if I'm not online to restart it, the players leave. Therefore, we play DB when I'm online.

Anyone has the same problem? I also read some posts about crashing problems on 1.7.....I wonder how much worst it can get! :/
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

1.6?
that's weird, 1.6 never ever crashed for me, and we are all running linux servers

logs could help tho.
Axl

Post by Axl »

Tribun seems to be a big cause in crashes/server reboots..
eNoS|S

Post by eNoS|S »

Ok, I'll remove tribune from the rotation, and post some logs later today/tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. :)
1234SamY

Post by 1234SamY »

1.6 crashes on my linux servers on a daily basis. Are you sure your 1.6 servers never crash?

In fact, Im pretty sure other 1.6 servers (including gameserver ones) are crashing because once in a while everyone will be chucked from servers.

I can give you loads and loads of crash logs if you require..

but I guess its not important given 1.7 is (hopefully) imminent.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Occasionally our public server provided by OzForces crashes, and we always have to reconnect. It usually happens like once every 10 games or so.
eNoS|S

Post by eNoS|S »

Armagon wrote: Occasionally our public server provided by OzForces crashes, and we always have to reconnect. It usually happens like once every 10 games or so.

you have some kind of script that restarts the server?
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

No it happens mid-game. It usually crashes when someone is doing something. For example, it sometimes crashes when someone catches a pass, makes a pass, or the keeper saves a goal.
1234SamY

Post by 1234SamY »

I think eNoS|S is asking wether you servers restart by them selves when they crash.

Yes, Im sure most linux UT2k3 servers are started in a loop, so that if for whatever reason it did crash, it would start up again.
drifter

Post by drifter »

#db.sh
ulimit -c 0
cd /home/7777/ut2003_dedicated
while true
do
./ucc server DB-Cube?game=Deathball.DB_Deathball?Adminname=****?Adminpassword=
**** -quickstart -nohomedir -ini=db.ini -log=db.log
cp -f db.log dbCrash.log
mail email@addre.ss < /home/7777/ut2003_dedicated/System/db.log
#echo the wheels fell off... restarting...
sleep 10
done
exit 0
;;
exit 0

that's the "loop" script for the server I used to take care of... I'm sure you'll find lots of scripts and tips on other unreal sites about setting up and maintaining servers in a linux and windows environment.

to start the server, I just type . db.sh &

the & starts the server in another process (from the shell you are using) so you can "exit" your ssh or telnet session and the server is still running.

otherwise, you could put it as a service in your rc3.d directory

there is a line in there that emails the log after a crash, which I found handy, but beware, if the server is up for several days before a crash, you will probably get a couple of Mb email! :O

please also be aware, you need to know how to stop the server too :) if you grep for an instance of your shell (ps -ef |grep bash - if using bash) you will find an instance of it there with a ? next to it, kill that one (if you get the wrong one it will just kick someone (or you) off of the session they are in.

/rant. - you can wake up now.
Last edited by drifter on 25-06-2003 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
1234SamY

Post by 1234SamY »

you could replace the mail line by

tail -n 1000 | mail you@mail.com

so you only get the last 1000 lines of the last log.

Also you can add

echo $$ > server.pid

to capture the pid of the script. Usefull if you need to shut the ut server down (kill `cat server.pid`).
drifter

Post by drifter »

\o/ tail o/

/me hugs samy
eNoS|S

Post by eNoS|S »

That was helpful drifter.

I have a script to start the server, but not one to check if it is running and restart it.

I'll give it a try.;)